PDA

View Full Version : Gotta get new shocks

davis449
03-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Well I've noticed that my ride is getting squishy here lately. I just finished traveling about 700+ miles in the 202 and this thing really floats it's ass end around. Didn't do this bad when I got the car with 58K on it. Now I've got 73K on it and this is about the same time and and I've got relatively the same feeling I had when I did the replacement on the 95. I was wondering if you guys think Bilstein HD's are a good replacement for the OEM's on a Sport model. I haven't ordered anything yet but I wanna know, am I gonna be disappointed with HD's on this car? I wasn't disappointed with them on the 95, but it was an Elegance, so coming from that, the HD's were phenominal. How's it gonna be from the OEM Sport shocks? Thanks for your input guys...and no I'm not gonna lower it cause I'm only gonna have it for another eight months or so.

jnolte
03-14-2006, 05:13 PM
like you said, if your gunna get rid of the car in 8months, i wouldent do anything

davis449
03-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Well, the problem is that it's really gettin on my nerves. So I'm gonna do it.

stox
03-14-2006, 08:08 PM
DO IT!! Bad shocks are an invitation for an accident. Riding on bad shocks is almost as stupid as driving on bad brakes.

jnolte
03-14-2006, 08:12 PM
just go with stockies then

davis449
03-15-2006, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
just go with stockies then

I'm not going stock cause it'll cost me more than a set of Bilstein's, it would be kinda dumb to let the dealer rape me on stock shocks when I can get better, cheaper aftermarket ones.

94benZo
03-15-2006, 12:58 PM
just put on a set of KYB's and they worked great... cheap too... look for them on ebay...

davis449
03-17-2006, 07:32 AM
I just purchased the HD Bilstein's yesterday. Prestige performance is going to put them on for $140. Got the parts for $325 shipped, not too bad. You should hear some of the quotes I got. I called in indy mechanic in town, he wanted $150 for the front and another $150 for the rear and said he wouldn't even touch my car if I brought in KYB's. The dealer...OMG...$648 FOR THE FRONT and $540 FOR THE REAR and then alignment on top of that; with my own parts $110 per hour for labor: 2.5 for the front and 2 for the rear so that's $440 for labor alone with my own parts! Rediculous. Prestige was the cheapest and said I didn't need alignment after shock installation, is this true? I've heard both ways.

davis449
03-24-2006, 08:05 AM
I put the new Bilstein HD's on today and I have to say there's been a large improvement, I guess they did need replacing. The body roll is WAY less, the lane change is easier, and it's bouncier but the reaction to the bumps and dips feels way better than the cush I was feeling. I don't really know about cornering and high speed handling just yet cause I only drove it about 6 miles to work. I did confirm what I suspected though and answered my own question about the stock suspension on the 99 Sport that I previously posted on. The stock shocks are Bilstein HD's alright, the only difference between the Bilstein's I bought and the ones that were taken off the car was the plastic cover with the Mercedes symbol on them and the letter H1 imprinted on them etc.