PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Transmission has jerking problem

ibestriker
03-15-2006, 01:45 AM
Hi everyone.

Is it normal for C200 year 95 Auto has jerking when shifting from gear to gear?

I dont feel any jerking when i am in a new car (2000 and above).

Please advise. If its not normal, how can i overcome that problem?

Thanks.

kameraguy
03-15-2006, 06:05 AM
Welcome to the forums :)

Try having the transmission fluid checked. if it is low you can experience harshness that may feel like jerking.

Also, I think the 1995 model can be scanned for transmission codes...so there may be some to help troubleshoot the issue. Your mechanic can hopefully also check the adaptation values to confirm if the clutch packs are still operating within tolerances.

I had similar issues so i hope this information may help.

davis449
03-15-2006, 06:43 AM
I had a valve go bad in my 95's tranny and they adjusted it once and replaced it the second time I complained. This did the trick for me, but remember, German trannies are jerky anyway.

Sury
03-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by davis449
German trannies are jerky anyway.

lol this is all i read... :D

ibestriker
03-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
Welcome to the forums :)

Try having the transmission fluid checked. if it is low you can experience harshness that may feel like jerking.

Also, I think the 1995 model can be scanned for transmission codes...so there may be some to help troubleshoot the issue. Your mechanic can hopefully also check the adaptation values to confirm if the clutch packs are still operating within tolerances.

I had similar issues so i hope this information may help.

Yes, I have the transmission fluid checked and changed.

But I don't understand what do u mean by the transmission code? Does it have anything to do with the computer?

I went to the mechanics and they have checked everything and everything was cleaned and ok. That was what they said.

But still, there is a noticeable jerk when shifting from gear to gear. Is it normal to experience a little bit jerking?

I think some said all below 96 merc experience jerking..is that true?

Thanks in advance...

ibestriker
03-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by davis449
I had a valve go bad in my 95's tranny and they adjusted it once and replaced it the second time I complained. This did the trick for me, but remember, German trannies are jerky anyway.

To get it replaced may cost me thousands of dollars...:(

94benZo
03-16-2006, 09:19 AM
my 94 280 jerks a little from first to second more noticable on high RPM like when i tried to show off to those damn ricer... hehehe... but I think its normal. anyway also check your vacuum lines.. I had a leaking vaccum line once and it make the idle a little rough and also made the transmission jerks on ALL GEARS !! I was sure my tranny was blown.. but once I got that vaccum line taken care of, all my other problems went away... go figure... so good luck on that....:D
While we're speaking about tranny, my mechanic said that my tranny has a lifetime tranny fluid and does not need to be change ever and its going to be really expensive to change them... is this true??? nenad? i have 94 c280.
thanks

jnolte
03-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by 94benZo
my 94 280 jerks a little from first to second more noticable on high RPM like when i tried to show off to those damn ricer... hehehe... but I think its normal. anyway also check your vacuum lines.. I had a leaking vaccum line once and it make the idle a little rough and also made the transmission jerks on ALL GEARS !! I was sure my tranny was blown.. but once I got that vaccum line taken care of, all my other problems went away... go figure... so good luck on that....:D
While we're speaking about tranny, my mechanic said that my tranny has a lifetime tranny fluid and does not need to be change ever and its going to be really expensive to change them... is this true??? nenad? i have 94 c280.
thanks

no your 1994 does not have lifetime fluid, its the newer 5 spds that are supposed to. But its all a lie you need to change fluid on all trannsmissions, unless you want an expensive overhaul. Also changing fluid on your transmission is not a hard job, shouldent cost much at all. i suggest you get a new mechanic that knows what hes talking about.

94benZo
03-16-2006, 04:41 PM
greaattt.... any suggestion on fluid type and filter?? I'm gonna see if there's a thread talking about how to change it...

jnolte
03-16-2006, 05:06 PM
here is a link to a 1997 and up 5pd tranny

http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/Trans7226Fluid

THIS IS NOT YOUR TRANNY, but its somewhere along the same lines, you have the 4spd vaccum controled transmission. just use MB fluid

go onto www.importec.com and look up your car, then you can find the correct tranny filter and fluid and buy it all in one stop.

ibestriker
03-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
no your 1994 does not have lifetime fluid, its the newer 5 spds that are supposed to. But its all a lie you need to change fluid on all trannsmissions, unless you want an expensive overhaul. Also changing fluid on your transmission is not a hard job, shouldent cost much at all. i suggest you get a new mechanic that knows what hes talking about.

Nenad, how come 1994 car has 5spds, but my car is 1995 but just have 4 spds? Weird here...:)

jnolte
03-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by ibestriker
Nenad, how come 1994 car has 5spds, but my car is 1995 but just have 4 spds? Weird here...:)

what are you talking about, 1993-1996 have 4 speeds

1997-2000 have 5 spds

2000 has tiptronic too

ibestriker
03-16-2006, 05:59 PM
no your 1994 does not have lifetime fluid, its the newer 5 spds that are supposed to. .

Sorry Nenad..i just don't understand...the way you said above, was like, his 1994 c280 car has 5spds...

jnolte
03-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by ibestriker
Sorry Nenad..i just don't understand...the way you said above, was like, his 1994 c280 car has 5spds...

sorry for the confusion. and im not nenad

ibestriker
03-16-2006, 07:12 PM
sorry for the confusion. and im not nenad

arrggh..sorry mate...you are not Nenad..but jnolte...mistyping...
:P

OzC36
03-22-2006, 04:25 AM
You might find some helpful information at Continental Imports website on Mercedes Benz Transmission Shift Characteristics:

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9169

MercedesShop has a lot of technical help. The following is a search of "transmission hard shift" which gave 6 pages:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Some valves are cheap and simple to replace if that is the problem. See MercedesShop DIY Transmission links for symptoms, isolation of problems and solutions:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=142395

omeyhomey
03-22-2006, 06:58 AM
the insides of your tranny may be dirty, if you change the fluid you may also want to change transmission fuel filter, and also pour some Seafoam "Trans Tune" as a flushing agent and then drive the car for about 20-30 miles and then change the oil. The Trans Tune breaks up all the dirty composites and gum/varnish and flushes it out with the old oil. Also if you don't have a lifetime tranny you can upgrade your tranny oil to a mixture of lucas oil products and Redline or Royal purple. Lucas Oils have an Oil stabilizer AND auto transmission additive, u could add both to your next fluid change. I think Im going to do it real soon, see if shifting improves. I will try the Trans Tune technique with new oils and see what happens.

OzC36
03-22-2006, 05:55 PM
I like omeyhomey's advice on the flush procedure especially for an auto that has an unknown previous history.

I don't know much about oils etc, so I personally I would probably stay with MB approved Automatic Transmission Fluids. See the link below. (I save this in my favourites some time ago but unfortunately I don't remember who to give the credit to for posting it):

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/x0rr0/MBASP.pdf

1995c280
03-22-2006, 06:32 PM
definately check you vaccum lines. there is a block under the hood on the passenger side under the cover by the cowl area with a junction of about 8 or so lines. 1 of them is your upshift delay. maybe white line (can't remember) not sure if it could be the problem but doesn't hurt to check. and i would also change the fluid w/ new filter. my 1995 has a VERY slight jerk too, nothing major or anything to worry about. it is pretty common on the older benz's. electronic transmissions in the newer cars solved this problem.

jnenad16
03-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
the insides of your tranny may be dirty, if you change the fluid you may also want to change transmission fuel filter, and also pour some Seafoam "Trans Tune" as a flushing agent and then drive the car for about 20-30 miles and then change the oil. The Trans Tune breaks up all the dirty composites and gum/varnish and flushes it out with the old oil. Also if you don't have a lifetime tranny you can upgrade your tranny oil to a mixture of lucas oil products and Redline or Royal purple. Lucas Oils have an Oil stabilizer AND auto transmission additive, u could add both to your next fluid change. I think Im going to do it real soon, see if shifting improves. I will try the Trans Tune technique with new oils and see what happens.
seafoam products are very acidic and not good for our cars in the long run, using their fuel products is ok since they are used up in one fill up, but their lubricant additives are not to be used for prolonged time.
also, mixing different fluid brands, especially performance brands like lucas, redline and RP is not recommended. stick with one only, I prefer redline. and for your car their synthetic ATF would be the right one. as for the lucas treatment, again, I would not recommend it since the"polymers" it contains are not very good for the mb clutch packs and bands, since they are somewhat harder in composition that most american transmissions, at which this product is aimed.
back to the topic, omeyhomie's method would be a good start, add flush, run it for about 100 miles, replace the filter and add fresh good fluid with gunk's trans medic. this thing works well at minimizing slippage, It worked well in my c280.

nenad