PDA

View Full Version : 6ch Amps, who makes 'em

Ozzie Bob
07-22-2003, 03:44 PM
When I upgrade my ICE in my car, I'd like to keep it 'simple' having a 6ch amp for my splits (front doors), fills (rear doors) and mid-bass (rear parcel shelf) and one other amp for my sub(s) (I still don't know if I want two 12's or one 15 :o).
Only 6ch amps I've seen (here in Oz) are by Lanzar :eek: Can you guys recommend some other brands :confused:
Oh yeah, it'd be nice if they didn't cost the earth too! :p

J Irwan
07-22-2003, 04:23 PM
well

1.a/d/s
2.McIntosh

That's all I can think of on top of my head.. :p

Regardz,

pnsji
07-22-2003, 10:50 PM
I know some manufactures that sells 6 channel amps:
- Audison
- AudioBahn
- Coustic
- JL Audio
- phoenix gold
- US Acoustic
- Diamond Audio
- MA Audio
- Memphis
- Earthquake
- zapco

If you want, you can run two 4 channel. Midbass and subwoofer at the same amp, front and back at the same amp.

If you want, I can get very good deal on high end brand.

Deepchord
07-23-2003, 02:41 AM
A/D/S are for mature listeners. I don't care what kind of musik you listen to, these blow everything out of the water as far solid state amplifiers go. They are the warmest, highest resolution, incrediblely accurate and smooth imaging. If you don't care about this stuff and you just want "boom" then get a Coustic or Pyramid or Fosgate or something with thin sounding IC chips.

A/D/S & Macintosh will cost a small forture. But you can find deals if you try.

IMHO, everything else sounds sloppy and soggy.
A/D/S sound as if they have tube compression or warm valve preamps built in (for you musicians out there, you know what I am talking about...) They just sound so damn warm and depthy. They are some of the fastest amps out there. Meaning transcients and dynamics can react as fast as .003 of a second. Most amps are oblivious to half of the sonics of most CD players,
but Power Plates are just engineered with Reference listening in mind, unlike 98% of all other car amps.

PS. Why on earth would you want a 15 inch sub? They are so sloppy and slow. I would rather have two 10's in a SEALED enclosure for tight and accurate bass.
Not that ghetto slop you hear out of hoopty cars..
(rice and G cars have 15's) :(

A/D/S, Dynaudio, and Macintosh are the only manufactures for
really super critical listeners and for people that have the coin to back it up. Or the patient ones who can save like crazy. :)

pnsji
07-23-2003, 11:30 AM
DeepChord,

You can try to listen to different high end brand that actually better than a/d/s, for example:
- Brax
- TruTechnology
- Arc Audio
- Symphony
- DLS
- Genesis

the list will go on and on.

Not to ditch a/d/s, but there are better solid state amps out there.

pnsji
07-23-2003, 11:32 AM
And the fact about a/d/s, they are acquired by directed electronics and their new line up are made in china.
And if you really know about the inside of a.d.s company as of now, they lost a lot of their key people. Not only that, Directed electronics is controlling on what kind of stuffs a/d/s allowed to produced.

This is kind of how Soundstream is acquired by Power Acoustic and suddenly their products are really crappy.

Deepchord
07-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Actually as cocky and belittling as Pnsji is at times, the cat is right.
BUT, since the evil corporate take over, very few items have been produced since Directed took them over fully. (I hate Directed Electronics - gay ass viper alarms. I think they own Clifford now also, which is a damn shame too.) You can get "pre-Directed Electronics" Power Plates New Old Stock all day long on Ebay or the prexisting A/D/S dealers. Who knows what the future of A/D/S is. Ultimately, do what's best for your ears though. I will say this though, 97% of all amps besides A/D/S give me ear fatique. And I don't hear a word about that kind of talk on this board. But with the brands you suggested the first time Pnsji, it sure doesn't look like you are any type of audiophile of any kind accept sloppy boom, IMHO, but I could be wrong.. Maybe I am being too fanatical about A/D/S? I don't care though.

PS. By the way, I looked up half those brands, and you're right there will always be those esoteric Gray Pupon type of "left" brands out there who make nice stuff as well. But in the end let your ears be the final word on who makes the "best" hardware for your ears.

Ozzie Bob
07-24-2003, 03:43 AM
Fook, I thought this would happen. Stuff it, keep the ICE OEM and get a s/c instead :D Can you say 530hp ;)

pnsji
07-24-2003, 10:44 AM
DeepChord,

I personally know some of the people works for a/d/s. I even get a chance to own 1 pair of their famous PX subwoofers.

Trust me, a/d/s is going downhill and there are better stuffs out there.
How do I know, Because that's what my ears tell me.

In the end, Install stuffs that makes you happy :)

pnsji
07-24-2003, 10:48 AM
And maybe you asked me if I owned any a/d/s before?

Here is the setup I had before...

http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/misc/oldcenter.jpg

Deepchord
07-24-2003, 12:10 PM
That's a beautiful setup. They're might be better stuff
out there now. But newer, more expensive, more esoteric,
and whatever other emotion you want to express over one
brand over another doesn't mean it's the right move for
the next guy. I also own A/D/S and NAD Silver Series in my
pad and I think it sounds so perfect for my particular
tastes in music. But everyone has an opinion and I will listen
to yours, but I don't have to agree. :)

peace,
Deepchord

Renn 208
07-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Deepchord

But in the end let your ears be the final word on who makes the "best" hardware for your ears.

And that's why my original comment was congratulating you on finding your perfect sound.

It's all relative. Maybe people would consider MTX their perfect sound, others consider Kicker to be their perfect sound, yet others still consider a full Alpine setup to be their perfect sound, and then there's a group of people who feel that brands like MB Quart or JL give the perfect sound. You feel as though a/d/s gives the perfect sound. In Japan, McIntosh seems to be popular for giving the perfect sound. PNSJI feels like no one has the perfect sound but can name several brands that he feels gets closer to his perfect sound than a/d/s.

Really there's something else involved other than ears, and it is "what motivates you" Some want the loudest system, others want the "crispest" system, others want the latest technology, others want it to sound perfect, and others want to be fooled into thinking they're listening to a live performance, and others just want the most expensive stuff out there.

Who's to say that any of those motivations are bull shit? If somone wants the boom and the 15"s why would I have any reason to look down on them?

What about me? Well, I just had to have it everyway about 8 years ago, so I got me 3 JL 10w6 hooked up to a PPI A600.2, and McIntosh 431s running Mc Separates. But I've grown tired of the car audio scene since then and are now happy listening to my Event PS-5s at home hooked up to some Shure M44-7 needles. In the car? Stock radio. What do I do when I really want to listen to music? I go to concerts.

PNSJI's comments were sparked by your "a/d/s is bar none the best" comments...that's all. I don't see why you need to dismiss his comments because you consider those brands "grey poupon."

In any case...back to more interesting things. Deepchord, do you have pics or detail of your install? Cause that's where the real butter's at.