PDA

View Full Version : How the pro's do it:D

Pagz
03-17-2006, 04:32 PM
two trolly jacks,a wind up jack from my toyota,two axle stands,a few blocks of wood and some carpet to stop the jacks from sliding round....hey and im the Health and saftey co-ordinator in my workplace LOL

after reading the maintenance manual it was very clear i didnt have an engine hoist handy to remove the sump...maybe i should have;)

the two vertical blocks have the full weight of the engine...theres also a few more blocks strategically placed in the bay to stop the engine from falling over
damn i had to jack it high to get the sump out and even then it was shockingly tight...despite my manual saying there was no issues,i also had to remove the oil pump!!!

have de-greased it and will have the -10 fitting welded on tommorrow for the oil return from turbo...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_161_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_162_full.jpg

heres some of the fittings required for the installation
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_163_full.jpg

Paul

SLAMMED_C
03-17-2006, 04:38 PM
lol.. you certainly are a pro!!..
thats one hell of a setup there!.. my god.. can you be using any more jacks or jack stands?!!
nice job man.. lookin good.
hopefully the fitting will go in without any problems. just 1 return line going to the oil pan? im guessing the ones on the far right in the pic?.. the blue fitting and the other fitting below it.

Pagz
03-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
lol.. you certainly are a pro!!..
thats one hell of a setup there!.. my god.. can you be using any more jacks or jack stands?!!
nice job man.. lookin good.
hopefully the fitting will go in without any problems. just 1 return line going to the oil pan? im guessing the ones on the far right in the pic?.. the blue fitting and the other fitting below it.

ha ha thanks yeh i did take a step back to shake my head after getting it out!...i also used a rubber hammer to knock the jacks back into position as they started to fall over:D

but for safety(as i know somone will say!)use an engine hoist for this job in future!;)

i know its going to be hard getting it all back together!,even harder not damaging the gasket on installation!!!...will also need to prime the pump and install it while the sumps in place!!!...
actually i didnt put that fitting in that pic...it looks like the big blue one though...the one in the pic comes off the bottom of the turbo

SLAMMED_C
03-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 23K
ha ha thanks yeh i did take a step back to shake my head after getting it out!...i also used a rubber hammer to knock the jacks back into position as they started to fall over:D

but for safety(as i know somone will say!)use an engine hoist for this job in future!;)

i know its going to be hard getting it all back together!,even harder not damaging the gasket on installation!!!...will also need to prime the pump and install it while the sumps in place!!!...
actually i didnt put that fitting in that pic...it looks like the big blue one though...the one in the pic comes off the bottom of the turbo
lol.. Ill bet you shook your head!! yeh that jobs a bit of a whore to do.. but glad you got it all apart.. putting it back together shouldnt be as hard as you think.
oh my!!.. knocking the jacks back into place with a rubber mallet!.. yes please use a hoist for this job in the future!!
you shouldnt need to prime the oil pump when you put it back together.. I have never had to prime the oil pump.. I had a M119 motor apart from a 124 E500 when I was replacing the timing chains and rails.. ended up replacing the oil pump chain as well.. and removed the oil ump at one point.. never primed it when I put it back together.. car is still working fine.
I see.. so the fitting looks like the blue one.. couldnt you just drill and tap the oil pan?.. welding it in place for added safety?.. no chance of leaks.

Pagz
03-17-2006, 05:15 PM
lol.. Ill bet you shook your head!! yeh that jobs a bit of a whore to do.. but glad you got it all apart.. putting it back together shouldnt be as hard as you think.
oh my!!.. knocking the jacks back into place with a rubber mallet!.. yes please use a hoist for this job in the future!!
you shouldnt need to prime the oil pump when you put it back together.. I have never had to prime the oil pump.. I had a M119 motor apart from a 124 E500 when I was replacing the timing chains and rails.. ended up replacing the oil pump chain as well.. and removed the oil ump at one point.. never primed it when I put it back together.. car is still working fine.
I see.. so the fitting looks like the blue one.. couldnt you just drill and tap the oil pan?.. welding it in place for added safety?.. no chance of leaks.

hmm so i dont need to prime it huh!,it would make things alot easier if i didnt thats for sure!,my haynes book said do it...but as iv found out there not always entirely correct!
heres a pic of the fitting...due to the nature of oil returns it will need to be welded in at a steep angle,so will also have a small piece of pipe welded on to assist!...it would have been nice to just weld it on without removing the sump...but its too risky!...you get metal in there,and theres risk of fire!...yet some people still drill and tap it without welding...i prefer the better way...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_165_full.jpg

SLAMMED_C
03-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 23K
[B]hmm so i dont need to prime it huh!,it would make things alot easier if i didnt thats for sure!,my haynes book said do it...but as iv found out there not always entirely correct!
heres a pic of the fitting...due to the nature of oil returns it will need to be welded in at a steep angle,so will also have a small piece of pipe welded on to assist!...it would have been nice to just weld it on without removing the sump...but its too risky!...you get metal in there,and theres risk of fire!...yet some people still drill and tap it without welding...i prefer the better way...

nope.. you shouldnt need to prime it.. maybe submerge the pump in some oil and give it a few turns.. but I never primed the pump in that M119 motor.
yeh for sure. better be safer then sorry.. remove the pan and have it welded.
I know.. dont want no metal shavings in there at all.. nevermind fires.. say goodbye to your motor if any of that metal makes it way anywhere!

benzaddict
03-17-2006, 08:03 PM
You don't really need an engine hoist to do the oil pan, we do it just how you're doing it there, except on a vehicle hoist. I just use 2 screw jacks to lift the motor and the put a few small blocks of wood between the motor mounts and the frame.

Be careful when fitting the pan back in not to rub the back of the pan on the windage tray, it will damage the gasket very easily.

I would definately prime the oil pump after having it out, there have been several technical bullitens about his from MB over the years. When you get it all back together, just disconnect the primary coil wires from the coil and crank the car until you get oil pressure, or for about a minute if you don't have a gauge. Don't worry about unplugging the injectors, they won't spray fuel if the coils are unplugged.

Pagz
03-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by benzaddict
You don't really need an engine hoist to do the oil pan, we do it just how you're doing it there, except on a vehicle hoist. I just use 2 screw jacks to lift the motor and the put a few small blocks of wood between the motor mounts and the frame.

Be careful when fitting the pan back in not to rub the back of the pan on the windage tray, it will damage the gasket very easily.

I would definately prime the oil pump after having it out, there have been several technical bullitens about his from MB over the years. When you get it all back together, just disconnect the primary coil wires from the coil and crank the car until you get oil pressure, or for about a minute if you don't have a gauge. Don't worry about unplugging the injectors, they won't spray fuel if the coils are unplugged.

I must "really" be pro then huh:D
hey thanks for the info!,my book shows priming the pump before installation,does that mean i'll still have to crank the engine when its all back together?,or is it wise to anyhow!.

maybe submerge the pump in some oil and give it a few turns..
thats priming it as far as i know?

Pagz
03-18-2006, 11:53 PM
all done,i slapped some some oil in the pump anyhow just to be safe.

LOL...yes the pic does look rather rude:D
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_166_full.jpg

c280nz
03-19-2006, 12:45 PM
nope.. you shouldnt need to prime it.. maybe submerge the pump in some oil and give it a few turns.. but I never primed the pump in that M119 motor.

hmm, well if thats not priming it im not sure what is :)

c280nz
03-19-2006, 12:49 PM
opp paul you already said what i just said ^

and my word is that an oil return or are you just pleased to see me :p

making good progress you are!

Pagz
03-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
opp paul you already said what i just said ^

and my word is that an oil return or are you just pleased to see me :p

making good progress you are!

LOL.....oh damn i always thought it to be a "her":eek:...it just feels wrong having that there:D
yeh tis coming along now,just found three holes in the header,and descovered the pipes were never de-burred befreo welding either so all the metal bits will damage the turbine...great stuff!...they better fix it or its gonna get messy

K_Sport Driver
03-19-2006, 06:08 PM
give a man two halves of a 2x4 and a couple jacks and he thinks he's a pro:rolleyes:

:D looking very pleasant :D

c280nz
03-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by 23K
LOL.....oh damn i always thought it to be a "her":eek:...it just feels wrong having that there:D
yeh tis coming along now,just found three holes in the header,and descovered the pipes were never de-burred befreo welding either so all the metal bits will damage the turbine...great stuff!...they better fix it or its gonna get messy
your "old girl" is now a guy :eek:

dont take crap from that company man,
tell them you know the secret illegal ninja moves from the government
:D

Pagz
03-20-2006, 10:40 AM
your "old girl" is now a guy :eek:

dont take crap from that company man,
tell them you know the secret illegal ninja moves from the government
:D

well...i guess iv been adding more HP,she didnt have to grow one over it though:D

hopfully i'll get time today to travel across the city and show them those ninja moves and what iv found,i took plenty of pics too!....the guy that did the work no longer works there as he finished up the day mine rolled out!...as im waiting on the header now,iv just recieved my inferno wrap and turbo cover,so they better fix it quik!

SLAMMED_C
03-20-2006, 04:43 PM
hmm, well if thats not priming it im not sure what is :)
I know!!.. it should have said you shouldnt need to prime it... "but if you want.....maybe submerge it in oil and give it a few turns" you all seemed so concerned about priming it!!..

Well looks good man!.. a lil rude indeed!!.. id the girlfriend paying more attention to the car now?!! lol.. jokes.

thats sucks you found holes int he manifold.. take it back and biatch slap them!.. you payed some serious money to have that fabricated.. and they cant even weld it right?!!

Under Pressure
03-20-2006, 04:56 PM
I have to submit those pics to any auto shop class as a lesson in how not to raise a car to work underneath haha

Pagz
03-20-2006, 05:17 PM
I know!!.. it should have said you shouldnt need to prime it... "but if you want.....maybe submerge it in oil and give it a few turns" you all seemed so concerned about priming it!!..

Well looks good man!.. a lil rude indeed!!.. id the girlfriend paying more attention to the car now?!! lol.. jokes.

thats sucks you found holes int he manifold.. take it back and biatch slap them!.. you payed some serious money to have that fabricated.. and they cant even weld it right?!!

LOL yeh right...she only likes it when it goes!!!...she was like "its about time you stop working on that car and take me out dining",i was like yeh yeh when i finish:D...shit there'll be a big celebration when it gets going!!!,were due for celebrations on selling our place too!

Iv just taken it back to them,he said he will grind out the collector to make it smooth,patch any holes and have it sand blasted tommorow morning,to remove any crap in the pipes and freight it back!!!he was apologetic,and as i understand he didnt oversee the final product...which he should have!,also there should have been a support mount from the header to the engine to help minimise the risk of cracking....but that wasnt done either so will have to be sorted out!...for free i hope!

Pagz
03-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Under Pressure
I have to submit those pics to any auto shop class as a lesson in how not to raise a car to work underneath haha

haha make sure you get a pic of my horny oil return line in there too:D

RemoLexi
01-14-2007, 04:25 PM
wow. I knew turbo projects involve getting dirty but not this dirty :p

anyway, I thank the lord for placing a brand new engine hoist in my garage!

so, down to business, why was the oil pump removed ?

EDIT: Paul after looking through all your threads on turbos getting information, I noticed your kitten is also very intrested in this project :D

Pagz
01-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by RemoLexi
wow. I knew turbo projects involve getting dirty but not this dirty :p

anyway, I thank the lord for placing a brand new engine hoist in my garage!

so, down to business, why was the oil pump removed ?

EDIT: Paul after looking through all your threads on turbos getting information, I noticed your kitten is also very intrested in this project :D

haha yeh she's a curious one!,shes always around when im working on the car!!!:D

Wish i had a hoist that day!,i had to remove the pump to allow more room for the sump to be removed,So i could weld on the oil return for the turbo then drill it out without filling the sump with metal shavings.
you may not have to remove the pump if you can get the engine high enough...i had it jacked up hard!
there are other ways to attach a return to the sump,but they all require drilling!.

RemoLexi
01-14-2007, 05:16 PM
what if i unbolt the mounts for more play ? shouldnt be that hard right ?

Pagz
01-14-2007, 05:38 PM
what if i unbolt the mounts for more play ? shouldnt be that hard right ?

Hmmm,if i remember right,the biggest issue was getting the engine up high enough in the right spots,the engine mounts in those pics have been unbolted from the upper support and the engine is hard up against the transmission tunnel and fire wall!...notice the engine is up higher on the right side...this was to clear the cane shaped pipe to the right of the pump!

RemoLexi
01-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Yea I see the cane shaped pipe, I also noticed on my engine that I have an easy advantage to lift exactly the driver side -

see the bracket in the picture ? I can use the engine hoist right there.
http://a269.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/20/l_f2a8abd887c7ad216189c7e6c783c954.jpg

also, a little off topic but is there a gasket that goes behind the round gold part at the end of the camshaft ? (sorry dont know whats its called) but you can see its leaking :(

Pagz
01-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Yep thats one of the two lifting eyes,i would have used that if i could:D

the gold coloured(zinc coated) part is the magnetic coil which through a mechanism changes the intake cam angle when the ECU so decides
i cant remember if they have a gasket..i dont recall purchasing one when we reassembled the engine...mine also had oil around it before we removed the engine!

RemoLexi
01-14-2007, 06:12 PM
alright, ill ask my dealer se what he wants me to replace on it :)

anyway after looking at your engine picture (old old thread) I do see that you have two viscous fans and also your radiater is pushed back and mounted differntly then mine - mine is completly under the radiater support.

Pagz
01-14-2007, 06:16 PM
alright, ill ask my dealer se what he wants me to replace on it :)

anyway after looking at your engine picture (old old thread) I do see that you have two viscous fans and also your radiater is pushed back and mounted differntly then mine - mine is completly under the radiater support.

good spotting...yes yours is totally different,i found that out when i tried to get the mounting shroud for the fan you have!!;)...

i have one big viscous fan on the front of the engine,and two electric fans infront of the radiators!

RemoLexi
01-14-2007, 06:19 PM
ahh, so ill just leave it as it is now because its already the best setup. :p

Pagz
01-14-2007, 07:39 PM
haha....well....maybe=)

Pagz
01-14-2007, 07:57 PM
also heres alittle about that cam adjuster setup you said is leaking oil...

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11668

spm 16v benz
01-15-2007, 02:26 AM
Hey 23K,

I would just like to let you know something about your oil return. Your return is set to low in the sump because it is below the oil line so it wont drain faster enough out of the turbo and will block up the line and then you will blow seals in your turbo.

Pagz
01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by spm 16v benz
Hey 23K,

I would just like to let you know something about your oil return. Your return is set to low in the sump because it is below the oil line so it wont drain faster enough out of the turbo and will block up the line and then you will blow seals in your turbo.

hey,
yes iv discussed this with more than a few,the line is 12mm inside diameter and the inlet to the turbo is restricted to 1mm,even with the return submerged in oil im very sure it will not build pressure and force oil through the seals...

spm 16v benz
01-17-2007, 06:23 AM
So 23k can you give an early prediction of when your car will be running????? any new pics??? I think once you have finally finished your car you should do a full thread of the very first turbo project to when your finished this one. Would be very helpful.

Pagz
01-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Im really not sure when it will be running just yet...now that things are moving fast it all comes down to how fat my wallet is!...
I havent gotten any new pics...which is unlike me!,there should be some more towards the end of the month when the header and intake manifolds are complete,they made a start on the intake manifold yesturday.
Its unlikley to be out of there until the magnaflow mufflers+tips turn up from the states so they can complete a new 3" system.

spm 16v benz
01-18-2007, 05:32 AM
Hey 23k, I got some pics for you, I know they aren't for a M111 but they are for a little brother engine of the M111, a M102 engine.

2.5 16v forged CP pistons......200g lighter!!!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b330/silverpoint-16v/P1010231Large.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b330/silverpoint-16v/P1010230Large.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b330/silverpoint-16v/P1010232Large.jpg

RemoLexi
01-18-2007, 08:37 AM
spm 16v benz 23k is gonna kick your ass for teasing him like this
:p :D

Pagz
01-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Theres somthing about forged and machined parts that get me going,and those definatly have that effect!;)

Very nice!,WOW so they are 200g lighter each??...including the lighter wrist pin?...the old ones do look alittle brick-ish!

that piston diet will surely free up a few HP!,the skirts look much shorter...did you change compression at all?...

Pagz
01-18-2007, 02:55 PM
since your teasing with those beautiful forges,heres a pic if how the intake manifold is going...excuse the qualityi couldnt load it to my computer so had to take a photo:)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_263_full.jpg

spm 16v benz
01-18-2007, 04:01 PM
hahaha.......I didn't change the compression. That manifold is just beauty, did you make it or get a shop to??? i love it I want one, where can I get one?

Pagz
01-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Ah i see,so are they 200g lighter each?...or combined?

Unfortunatly it would be pretty rare to see an intake manifold like this off the shelf somwhere:D
Apart from the billet Skunk2 TB,that is a 100% custom,the billet flange was made by my engineering guys while the plenum and runners are done by another guy(who is totally pro)and all the other little things like fuel rail/mountings/small mods are done by me...Ill get better pics when i see it all in person!

spm 16v benz
01-18-2007, 04:31 PM
The pistons are 200g lighter each, now I really want a 230k turbo.....How much money do you think you have sent all up???:D :)

RemoLexi
01-18-2007, 04:59 PM
wow intake manifold is just amazing!!!!

so paul, how much to make another one including the S2 TB???

and how hard is it to wire up a Skunk2 throttle body ??

man I hate living in CA all this is going to be illegal but oh well we only live once! ;)

Pagz
01-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by spm 16v benz
The pistons are 200g lighter each, now I really want a 230k turbo.....How much money do you think you have sent all up???:D :)

thats alot lighter!...big upgrade!
Im not sure how much its cost now...quite a bit i think!

Pagz
01-18-2007, 06:16 PM
wow intake manifold is just amazing!!!!

so paul, how much to make another one including the S2 TB???

and how hard is it to wire up a Skunk2 throttle body ??

man I hate living in CA all this is going to be illegal but oh well we only live once! ;)

To make another would be pretty pricey...no...EXTREMELY pricey!!lol...
can i ask what you think it would cost to make it?

the TB shouldnt be to hard to wire,though because the 230k runs DBW you would need an ecu change also...or you could run DBW on a new plenum...but its a tiny TB!.

yeh must be a pain having all those rules!

RemoLexi
01-18-2007, 09:45 PM
cost for the intake manifold .. ill say in the 3K's area ?

and yea ill focus on other things first like ecu and fuel upgrades and THEN if I feel that I still need more power out of an M111 ... then ill think maybe M104 w/diesel crank and Twin turbo with a manual trans. im sure that wouldnt be too hard to find since all of that would be avialible.

Paul Ive got my Turbo header, but still waiting on that fange . and to top it off the intercooler ive ordered was lost. I think your bad luck is starting to rub off onto me :( the turbo itself ill be ordering next week. im taking this project slowly because im just a college student not a rocket scientist and dont have all that mad cash stored. anyway yea when I have all the things i need - then ill rip it apart and work crazy amounts of hours putting everything in.

Pagz
01-19-2007, 09:51 AM
cost for the intake manifold .. ill say in the 3K's area ?

and yea ill focus on other things first like ecu and fuel upgrades and THEN if I feel that I still need more power out of an M111 ... then ill think maybe M104 w/diesel crank and Twin turbo with a manual trans. im sure that wouldnt be too hard to find since all of that would be avialible.

Paul Ive got my Turbo header, but still waiting on that fange . and to top it off the intercooler ive ordered was lost. I think your bad luck is starting to rub off onto me :( the turbo itself ill be ordering next week. im taking this project slowly because im just a college student not a rocket scientist and dont have all that mad cash stored. anyway yea when I have all the things i need - then ill rip it apart and work crazy amounts of hours putting everything in.

Not a bad guess man!!,i think its going to cost around $2500US(~3500NZ) by the time its fully complete,it should have cost 3100US but i got good deals here an there.

haha i hope not too much rubs off on you,its pretty mean sh!t:D
damn,lost the IC huh!!,well i guess they will claim insurance and get you out another?
Yeh slowly's all good...its been 14 months since i first pulled out the SC in favour of a turbo,and its still not going lol
what that time has allowed however is for me to save enough to do these mods!

So,what are you planning to do with the header?,cut and weld it to the new flange?

What turbo are you planning to run?

RemoLexi
01-19-2007, 12:16 PM
yep. lost IC. I dont even know what happen I mean its being shipped only a few hundred miles and they lose it ? yea I filed with paypal but its another 20days before any money back or any reply. what a drag.

as the headers goes, Im waiting to get your flange - which i still havnt gotten and ill see maybe the flang it has can be modified some how if not then welding your flange was the first plan so ill stick with that.

TD05h Turbo ! should be good since they used it on 2.0L & 2.3L engines and it does fine. lasts pretty long even under race condition and also very popular so I can buy upgrades/replacement parts for it .

im $75 away from ordering it, im waiting for my paycheck tomarrow. ive sold my full-on Cold air intake and M104 injecters I was running. now riding 100% stock under the hood.

Pagz
01-19-2007, 12:33 PM
hope they find it!,
Still haven't got the flange!,would have thought it to be there by now!...it has been 8 days,they do say 6-10,i hope it gets there!

TD05h,whats the specs for the compressor and turbine housings/wheels?

do you have a pic of the manifold?

RemoLexi
01-19-2007, 01:55 PM
just got the refund for the IC. great ill just go ahead and order the turbo and another IC tomarrow.

no specs/pictures, im not at home its on my comp. at home

yep still waiting for the flange.

EDIT: Turbo Hotside just came in.

Pagz
01-19-2007, 04:47 PM
So your ordering the turbo in seperate parts?..get some pics up when you can:)

RemoLexi
01-19-2007, 05:06 PM
no the turbo itself comes with the stock hotside and all the goodies, just that I ordered an upgrade hotside for it.

other then that yea im putting together the IC, the pipes, the intake portion, the header, and ill be buying the electronics as well as the guages but im leaving those things last .

first thing is to have the TC bolted and exhuast done, then comes IC with pipes and intake portion.

2nd - BOV
3rd - Boost controller
4th - Timer
5th - gauges when I get the car running agian ill see to make sure everything goes well (no leaks no serious problems)

then comes Fuel upgrade and I still dont know what to do about the ECU - I mean will a powerchip be enough or what should I do im not so bright when it comes down to electronics.

RemoLexi
01-19-2007, 06:02 PM
sorry for a poor pic, i dont have a camera i have to use my crappy phone. :(

heres what Ive got so far.

http://a339.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/26/m_5cd86a48b7bfa1d964de5b25ad267da2.jpg

cutting that flange off the using yours whenever I get it. internally wastegated. and my turbo will be below the header and not above your you had it in the pictures - because if any cop opens my hood its like "BAM I have a Huge Aftermarket turbo"!!

but if its a little down there it will be a little harder to spot and also I dont want it melting my expansion tank.

also cutting the down-pipe flange off the hot side and welding that directly to the downpipe.

one question - on the OEM downpipe where the O2 senser is the pipe gets small and then larger agian - should I leave the 02 senser and downpipe as it is or bolt the sensor to the hotside and cut out the skinny part of the downpipe to make it all one-diameter ?

Pagz
01-20-2007, 11:31 AM
I see,so what was the upgrade for the turbine houseing?,a different A/R or a design change?
the manifold looks like a split exit,is the new turbine housing like this also?
are the ports on the manifold the same spacing as the M111,and will the manifold position the turbo in the right place?
excuse all the Q's,im very interested in how your going to pull this off;)

As for the electronic side of things im not to sure either,my 230K ECU will run the low boost turbo setup with a hole in the map...so it still needed tuning.
i believe your MAS is different on the N/A models?!,i see some install it infront of the turbo unlike on the 230K where its installed on the charge side...you may find the N/A version only measures absolute pressure and below.

One things for sure,you will need fuel and timing changes,you will also need a rising rate fuel regulator to compensate for boost pressure...
You would be best to PM one of the guys who has run a FI setup on there N/A engine,Jstrat maybe able to help.

the turbine discharge looks nice!,the O2 sensor should be placed as near as possible to the combustion chamber,so the start of the downpipe is good,but if its not practical then it will need to be further down,try keep the sensor angling down above the horizontal plain,otherwise moisture will collect in it resulting in a much shorter life.
If you can,install the sensor on the turbine discharge collector and make the down pipe all one size.

RemoLexi
01-20-2007, 12:32 PM
no keeping the TC stock as it is for now, just upgrade Hotside thats all. its a split exit - same as the turbo. on the header I was very surprised that all the ports were same size/shape/distance apart! thats why I choose this easy way out! Ive payed for the Turbo already should expect it next week. The manifold positions the turbo 4-6inches above the engine mount - there seems to be sufficient space if not then we will make more room some how.

Im not bright in the ECU area, so Ill be taking it to the shop to get it tuned/ECU changes.

as far as fuel upgrades, I know Ill add a set of injecters - an upgrade fuel pump ? ill PM Jstart when I get closer to that area.

so you think it would be good to bolt the O2 right on the Hotside ? because it has a O2 senser plug with threads aleady made. that way I can make the downpipe all one-sized.

I do feel as im diving into the deep ocean blindfolded with this project but im sure It can be done!

Pagz
01-20-2007, 03:31 PM
I do feel as im diving into the deep ocean blindfolded with this project but im sure It can be done!

hahaha,yip!;)...if somone had come to me a year ago and said.."this is going to take you around 18 months and all of your income",i probly wouldnt have started...

About the fuel pump...im in the middle of trying to sort this issue out on mine...its pretty small...where guessing it to be good for around 200 - 250hp...but its only a guess,i will be attempting to get more info on the model before we splash out on a new one.

RemoLexi
01-20-2007, 03:45 PM
yea but your project is alot more intense with the pistons the intake ... if you were to do just what im about to do you would be long done by now.

Im not even going into any engine internals yet - most ive done is replaced the Valve cover gasket so far on my M111 LoL

Just bolting on a turbo, IC and its accesories and all the electronics/ECU/gauges + fuel . thats all.

but ... im worried about one thing - the tranny not being able to handle it, its only rated at around 300HP I hear ? so Id be looking for a 6-speed manual from an SLK and I will be calling the dealer monday and asking him how much a rebuilt M111 6-speed tranny would be. i have a car that I need to sell - approx. 2K worth and that should start the Manual conversion of mine!

I would need this to be 100% easily reversible - we have Smog to pass every 2 years. :mad:

... it will be the ultimate sleeper - all-stock pre-updated even stock rims just slammed. :)

MBHustla858
01-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by 23K
two trolly jacks,a wind up jack from my toyota,two axle stands,a few blocks of wood and some carpet to stop the jacks from sliding round....hey and im the Health and saftey co-ordinator in my workplace LOL

after reading the maintenance manual it was very clear i didnt have an engine hoist handy to remove the sump...maybe i should have;)

the two vertical blocks have the full weight of the engine...theres also a few more blocks strategically placed in the bay to stop the engine from falling over
damn i had to jack it high to get the sump out and even then it was shockingly tight...despite my manual saying there was no issues,i also had to remove the oil pump!!!

have de-greased it and will have the -10 fitting welded on tommorrow for the oil return from turbo...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_161_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_162_full.jpg

heres some of the fittings required for the installation
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_163_full.jpg

Paul

ouch, thats painful, i would never work on my back. such a pain

RemoLexi
01-30-2007, 07:34 PM
alright, so tomarrow i have a day off to play with the car a little,

ill be making a trip to the dealer and the automotive performance store for more fittings.

if the dealer has an oil sump gasket in stock then ill have an attempt at it tomarrow.

I think ill go with drilling a hole and bolting on the fitting, but my problem is I cant mount it in the same place as you did since i have something else under the alternater - im not even sure what the part is so ill leave it alone and tap in to the right of the crank pully. while im down there ill be sure to get oil/filter changed and ill install the water fitting onto the block of the engine. I will also try to figure out what to do with the water return to get it all over with and ready for turbo drop in! :)

the oil fitting required me to remove the right side engine mount and bracket - that was the easiest and fastest way to get the job done!

Pray to God that the dealer has my sump gasket in stock, if not next wednesday is the day and also thats the day ill be making a first attemp at running the engine with the turbo and header mounted!

Paul thanks for so much help, I wouldnt have the confidence to even start this project if it wasnt for your help! :)

Proven Guilty
01-30-2007, 09:09 PM
haha, i just noticed pics of the kitty feet. i seriously just "lol'd"

RemoLexi
01-30-2007, 09:20 PM
the curious kitty ive spotted in many many pictures, one behind the intercooler too :D

Pagz
01-31-2007, 04:16 PM
alright, so tomarrow i have a day off to play with the car a little,

ill be making a trip to the dealer and the automotive performance store for more fittings.

if the dealer has an oil sump gasket in stock then ill have an attempt at it tomarrow.

I think ill go with drilling a hole and bolting on the fitting, but my problem is I cant mount it in the same place as you did since i have something else under the alternater - im not even sure what the part is so ill leave it alone and tap in to the right of the crank pully. while im down there ill be sure to get oil/filter changed and ill install the water fitting onto the block of the engine. I will also try to figure out what to do with the water return to get it all over with and ready for turbo drop in! :)

the oil fitting required me to remove the right side engine mount and bracket - that was the easiest and fastest way to get the job done!

Pray to God that the dealer has my sump gasket in stock, if not next wednesday is the day and also thats the day ill be making a first attemp at running the engine with the turbo and header mounted!

Paul thanks for so much help, I wouldnt have the confidence to even start this project if it wasnt for your help! :)

Glad to help!;),
Sounds good,so are you going to run the engine next week?...have you sorted out fuel/ignition changes?...or are you just going to start the engine with the system in place?...what about the new down pipe etc?...what is the wastegate set to?
have you got a bypass valve?....lol you got me worried when you said you were starting the engine:)

they usually keep gaskets like that in stock!

Pagz
01-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
haha, i just noticed pics of the kitty feet. i seriously just "lol'd"

hahaha...yeh she's all grown up now,out with the big cats...doesnt play with me an my car parts anymore:(:D...little sh!t doesnt jump on the merc no more either;)..heh

RemoLexi
01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Glad to help!;),
Sounds good,so are you going to run the engine next week?...have you sorted out fuel/ignition changes?...or are you just going to start the engine with the system in place?...what about the new down pipe etc?...what is the wastegate set to?
have you got a bypass valve?....lol you got me worried when you said you were starting the engine:)

they usually keep gaskets like that in stock!

ill just start the engine with header and turbo mounted. no intake attached besides the MAF and cross pipe. no exhuast connected. no upgrades at all just want to see how it spools and what not. maybe get a video and see if I can catch a few flames revving the engine.

fuel upgrades Im getting 24LB accel injecters, FPR, lines and im considering a custom fuel rail since It seems to make more sense.

ignition upgrades ? no havnt planned anything in that region. what did you do or what would you reccommend?