PDA

View Full Version : suspenison

sacc230
03-18-2006, 11:13 AM
im kinda new on this stuff and i was wondering what kinda suspension i should get to slam my 97 c-230 i would appreciate any comments oh and ill get some picks up soon but i dont have a camera right now

Renn 208
03-18-2006, 11:20 AM
well, to start with, why do you want to change your suspension? Is it to replace what's old and worn? For better looks? Cause you want something lower, but not too low? Because you want to slam it to the ground? Because there's something in particular that you want to improve?

Starting with your goals is a good way to guide you to what you're looking for. Also, searching the forum for older threads will give you an idea of the possibilities out there.

If you really want to "slam the car" and go as low as possible, without spending a ton of cash, you can just cut your stock coils...if something less drastic is your goal , spring pad changes might be the first step. Off-the-shelf possibilities include Vogtland, H&R/Bilstein, and Koni/Eibach. Each approach has it's own set of tradeoffs, so read up, and you'll start to get an idea of what to expect.

Good luck and happy reading!

sacc230
03-18-2006, 11:23 AM
i just wana make it look better

Renn 208
03-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by sacc230

Then as a conservative way to go, go search for the following terms in the forums:

H&R, Bilstein, Koni, Eibach, Vogtland

Also, you might want to cruise the Member's Gallery for cars that you like...then find out what kind of setup that owner runs...

Another good resource is here:

http://www.bnzsport.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10359

It's filled with pictures and setup info

tpliquid
03-18-2006, 02:58 PM
i say cut sprigns.

sacc230
03-18-2006, 04:30 PM
if i cut my springs wouldnt that messup my suspension somehow

yusuke280
03-18-2006, 11:41 PM
don't cut your springs, its the stupidess thing you can ever do.. unless your so poor you can't even afford to buy meals to eat.

you could lower ur car by buying lowering springs, brands like eibach are really good choices. but that'll ruin your tower, it'll start leakin oil and at one point it'll be dead.

pay money, and do it right.
cheap = H&R cup kit ( they will slamm ur car )
( with a lot of performance, trust me )

expensive = coil's.

goodluck

jnolte
03-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by yusuke280
don't cut your springs, its the stupidess thing you can ever do.. unless your so poor you can't even afford to buy meals to eat.

you could lower ur car by buying lowering springs, brands like eibach are really good choices. but that'll ruin your tower, it'll start leakin oil and at one point it'll be dead.

pay money, and do it right.
cheap = H&R cup kit ( they will slamm ur car )
( with a lot of performance, trust me )

expensive = coil's.

goodluck

first of all w202s cant have coilovers, its not mchperson strut setup.

You can cut your springs if you want, just know that the springs is not designed to be that short so you may get some bounce over bumps etc.

if i were you i would just get some H&R sport springs...

The LO C
03-20-2006, 06:43 PM
I cut my springs without issues. It rides beautiful too, I cut the bumptops to give it more travel. My $0.02

94benZo
03-20-2006, 08:51 PM
My setup: KYB gas struts, Eibach pro-kit, stock pads.. here's how it looks on a stock wheels:
Got my wheels but they shorted me some bolts... so only got 2 rears on... I'll post some pics later...

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9183

OCKlasse
03-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by The LO C
I cut my springs without issues. It rides beautiful too, I cut the bumptops to give it more travel. My $0.02

I can vouch for this...his car rides like an S-Class on the highway compared to some other stock vehicles! I have cut springs as well, and I say go for it! ;)

J Irwan
03-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by sacc230

Since we encourage the member of this site to learn more about our car..

Lets expand you goal from just "looks better" to "looks better and handle better than stock".

Personally I would never cut my OEM spring just for the purpose of lowering.

Depending how aggressive there are lot of choices out there.
If you after the Looks than the handling then get the "H&R cup kit" (This include H&R lowering kit and the supposedly matching sport shock)
From what I gathered it seems a little softer than
"H&R combo Bilstein" and "H&R combo Koni".

If you browse the gallery section you should be able to see a lot of example. And most of it has the modification listed so that you can judge for yourself which is best suited for your taste.

Regardz,

94benZo
03-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
Lets expand you goal from just "looks better" to "looks better and handle better than stock".

Ameen to that brother.. I had cut my own share of springs in my ricer days,:cool: and just couldn't do it to a benz, even an old one... btw jirwan, where in midwest are u? I'm taking a guess here but you're an Indo?

OCKlasse
03-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
Since we encourage the member of this site to learn more about our car..

While I agree with this for your car, we don't all have AMG cars, and I feel cutting springs on a car that was not intended to be a performance car but more a "luxury car" is a more efficient option. Cut springs with cut bumpstops will give you the smoothest ride possible IMO, and I feel not all of us are looking to "improve performance" in a car that frankly was designed to be an economical Benz. Just my two cents.