PDA

View Full Version : exhaust on kompressor?

ryhi
07-22-2003, 09:08 PM
does anyone have an aftermarket exhaust on their c230 kompressor? what kind of exhaust and how does it sound?
is it just me or do c230 kompressors sound kinda weird?

Luwin1026
07-22-2003, 10:53 PM
I have a Remus w/ Futura tips on my car, 2.5" piping, resonator removed. Quiet at idle and cruising, throaty when punched.

The 202s sound weird because it's a 4-banger and there is supercharger whine. But a pulley kit and exhaust will make it sound like a jet plane.

I am always in the San Gabriel area - if you ever want to hear mine, let me know.

ryhi
07-23-2003, 09:56 AM
thanks luwin. what kind of pulley kit do you have? i heard it a mod you wont regret doing? how much would a pulley kit help out? also since ur always in the SG area, have u seen that goldish 202 with the CF hood?

Luwin1026
07-23-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by ryhi
thanks luwin. what kind of pulley kit do you have? i heard it a mod you wont regret doing? how much would a pulley kit help out? also since ur always in the SG area, have u seen that goldish 202 with the CF hood?

Yes, I've seen that gold 202 with CF hood and talked to the owner - he resides in San Gabriel.

I have a pulley kit from a company called Kleemann. A pulley kit would help out a lot, as it almost doubles the psi. My car is running 10.8psi on WOT right now. It makes the world of difference.

ryhi
07-23-2003, 10:12 AM
alright....cool..sounds expensive...now how much does a pulley kit cost installed? its probably out of my budget

ryhi
07-23-2003, 12:05 PM
does anyone have an ebay muffler on their car? do you think it will sound ricey or deep? i want a muffler so i can have a tight sound, something deep and not too loud, but i dont want to spend a lot of money on it. any suggestions? ive also been looking at magnaflow street series mufflers, but thats already kinda pushing what i want to spend on a muffler..

Luwin1026
07-23-2003, 12:26 PM
alright....cool..sounds expensive...now how much does a pulley kit cost installed? its probably out of my budget

Kleemann goes for around $2k installed for the 1999's with the MAF relocation. I would go with a reputable maker like them or Dynospot, Carlsson, Vaeth, Renntech, etc. - I know a company named ASP was making them, but they've had some failures/problems with them.

ryhi
07-24-2003, 01:23 PM
would a flowmaster 40 series sound good on my car? i heard flowmasters r great...but this is on american muscle. how would it sound on an euro?

98_Benzo
07-24-2003, 02:15 PM
Yah becareful putting american racing exhaust on your car, it will sound kind of weird. There is a dude in the area where I live that put Flowmasters on his Cavalier and since it was a 4 banger it sounded like shit!!! The Cavaliers come with a 2.2 litre engine, so it's big enough to have a bigger exhaust. That is one thing for you to remember, if you don't want to sound like the little Honda's and those types of cars. You don't have to worry about that considering they are all 1.6 litre and 1.8 litre cars, the bigger the bore, the better the sound.

ryhi
07-24-2003, 02:25 PM
in dummy terms please... :D

ryhi
07-24-2003, 02:29 PM
i was looking at magnaflow's website, and after reading the performance data, it doesnt seem like the magnaflow is much louder than the stock exhaust? is this true? how would you go about making the tone very deep?

http://www.magnaflow.com/wideopen/performdata.htm

98_Benzo
07-24-2003, 02:32 PM
in dummy terms please...

In dummy terms? Well, basically it boils down to, your engine is naturally bigger then a Hondas engine any of those loud suped up little rice rockets. So, the bigger the engine the deeper the sound. Now if you listen to a S2000 and then listen to a Honda Civic with the 1.8 litre engine with aftermarket exhaust, you can tell the difference. They come with a different cam shaft that is tit bit bigger which also adds to the deeper sound. I am not sure if they did any cam work on the C230 Kompressor, but since you already have a big engine you will have a good sound and not the coffee grinder sound. If I were you, I would go with something like Luwin did or at least stay with a Mercedes parts maker, don't go universal, that is where you start getting the crappy sound.

ryhi
07-24-2003, 02:38 PM
remus IS universal isnt it?

98_Benzo
07-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Yah, but they specialize in German cars, you don't see Remus on Fords or Chevy's, at least I don't. They are meant for a German car and I think that you can order it as a Mercedes kit.

CKlasse
07-24-2003, 04:13 PM
Muffler is muffler.... who cares about brand name! Go to any good exhaust shop, they'll tune the sound for you. It took me 3 trial and errors to find the exact tone to my liking. I personally don't see the point of changing muffler without doing cat back. If I am to go for look only.. I would cut off the tips and find different tips that I like... at least it still sounds stock. Just MHO :)

ryhi
07-24-2003, 04:19 PM
how do you tune the sound down? resonator? if i get a muffler....and the sound is too loud for my liking....how would i tune the sound down?

CKlasse
07-24-2003, 04:21 PM
how do you tune the sound down? resonator? if i get a muffler....and the sound is too loud for my liking....how would i tune the sound down?

I am using MF 3' resonator. :) A very good mod for $75.

ryhi
07-24-2003, 04:22 PM
so a bigger resonator = less sound?

CKlasse
07-24-2003, 04:24 PM
so a bigger resonator = less sound?

In short.. YES. But certain straight through resonator give you certain deep tone. :)

ryhi
07-25-2003, 04:17 PM
will i notice any sound changes if i just get a magnaflow muffler and tips welded on? or will i have to get a bigger resonator and piping to make the sound change?

98_Benzo
07-25-2003, 04:53 PM
I am using MF 3' resonator.

A 3 foot resonator? That is huge.

CKlasse
07-25-2003, 11:48 PM
will i notice any sound changes if i just get a magnaflow muffler and tips welded on? or will i have to get a bigger resonator and piping to make the sound change?

Before you complicate things.. what is your goal? A louder/deeper sound?

ryhi
07-26-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Before you complicate things.. what is your goal? A louder/deeper sound?

yes...louder and deeper...but not ricey

98_Benzo
07-26-2003, 01:41 PM
Look at it this way, rev your engine right now with the normal exhaust on it, then rev the engine of a stock Honda. See the noise diffence, how yours is already deeper. Now think about it, if you were to put aftermarket exhaust your going to get the same result, yours will be deeper then the Honda with the same exhaust. This being you have a bigger engine, so in all, your car will not sound like a ricer if done properly.

CKlasse
07-26-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by 98_Benzo
if done properly.

And this is what we are trying to help him for.

Ryhi, if I were you... for best result at the least amount of $. Get a good magnaflow muffler with deep tune then put a nice resonating tips on it.

Tell me what kind of tips you like.. I ll photoshop it for you.

ryhi
07-26-2003, 08:56 PM
hey CKlasse..thanks for putting up with all my n00b exhaust crap..lol...im in the process of buying a magnaflow exhaust with the dual 3 inch circle tips....you dont have to photoshop it....but thanks anyways

CKlasse
07-26-2003, 09:01 PM
a magnaflow exhaust with the dual 3 inch circle tips....

No probs whatsoever. Make sure you get the 'double wall' and 'resonated' tips. :) Take some pictures!!!

ryhi
07-26-2003, 09:13 PM
the exhaust already has the tips on it....its one of the ss street series...

i think its this one...

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/gifs/parts/14805.jpg

CKlasse
07-26-2003, 09:23 PM
the exhaust already has the tips on it....its one of the ss street series...

i think its this one...

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/gifs/parts/14805.jpg

I have seen those on M5.. They look good! How much? :)

ryhi
07-26-2003, 09:30 PM
making a deal with a guy off ebay.... $60 used but in great condition with usual scratches and stuff....im going to pick it up..