PDA

View Full Version : Chip feedback from non-k 202's

htfan1
03-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Anyone out there have some solid feedback to share on how a performance chip has impacted their non-k 4 cylinder 202?

Living in California, there are very few performance mods that impact HP without hurting the ability to pass smog.

I love my car, but have got to do something to help the HP.

illusionaryline
03-21-2006, 09:45 PM
i am in exactly the same situation there isnt a better car, but i need more power :P

Under Pressure
03-22-2006, 03:14 AM
Chips are only good for turbo cars. Sorry. On an N/A four cylinder, you won't notice the slightest difference.

htfan1
03-22-2006, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Under Pressure
Chips are only good for turbo cars. Sorry. On an N/A four cylinder, you won't notice the slightest difference.

I've heard this kind of thing before.

However, it would be good to hear from someone that actually tried it on their 202 and has personal experience.

I assume your 202 has a turbo/supercharger. Did you have a chip installed prior to the turbo/supercharger?

Does anyone on Club202 have a chip installed without a turbo/supercharger?

Denlasoul
03-22-2006, 06:49 AM
I have to agree with UP on this one. To date, I have not come across an article or Member that has posted up numbers showing the changes of adding a chip to a n/a engine. There may be articles though.

Two Members have spoken about a chip on their n/a cars. JIrwan and Speedybenz. Both have different stances on the gains. J says he has felt a difference and Speedy said he got a loss. Speedy did use his palm pilot to record the hp before and after the chip install. I am not sure about J, though he'll probably elaborate more on this topic. I feel that both Member's are credible sources, but as you can see, different results.

Basically, if you feel it is worth the try then go for it. I would have before and after dyno tests to measure the gains (or lack of). I would also make sure that the company you choose has a guarantee on the gains.

On a side note, you'd probably get better gains by fabricating a better air intake (CAI).

davis449
03-22-2006, 07:14 AM
I have heard another testimonial from DougandhisC280 on MBworld who swore up and down that his car turned into a beast after doing it to his N/A I6 engine. Don't know anything about the V6.

tpliquid
03-22-2006, 08:36 AM
only dyno tests will tell if doug is right or not

davis449
03-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by tpliquid
only dyno tests will tell if doug is right or not

I know that, I was just offering another testimonial, I don't personally endorse it.

htfan1
03-23-2006, 09:08 AM
It's tough to know what to do!

I've thought of buying an extra salvaged ECU, have it chipped and try it. The only issue is extra $$. However, I am highly motivated to find CA smog legal HP!!!

Would there be issues with another ECU out of a salvaged C220? Is it plug and play, or am I dreaming?

K_Sport Driver
03-23-2006, 09:17 AM
there are cheaper ways te extract more power. look into underdrive pulleys.

Abuimad
03-23-2006, 09:27 AM
i bought a chip wich promised 25 hp's + and for some reason better fuel consumption for about 400 dollars...but i noticed very little it does shift at higher rpm's now but that could be a lot of things not just the chip since i do have an adaptive tranny.....my advice if ur car is as stock as mine the chip would not do shit to it....i dont need a dyno to tell me wether i gained or not i can feel it..and i did not...

htfan1
03-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by K_Sport Driver
there are cheaper ways te extract more power. look into underdrive pulleys.

I'm afraid this is not an option for my C220. A pulley would only apply if I had a 230K.

htfan1
03-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Abuimad
i bought a chip wich promised 25 hp's + and for some reason better fuel consumption for about 400 dollars...but i noticed very little it does shift at higher rpm's now but that could be a lot of things not just the chip since i do have an adaptive tranny.....my advice if ur car is as stock as mine the chip would not do shit to it....i dont need a dyno to tell me wether i gained or not i can feel it..and i did not...

I appreciate your feedback. It seems your chip install did not live up the its' promises! You would definitely feel 25+ HP!

Did you go back to the chip people that sold you performance for $400 and get your money back?

Denlasoul
03-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by htfan1
You would definitely feel 25+ HP!
I would have to disagree. I've raced a fellow member with a C36 and my C43 and I can tell you that performance was very similar. I say do the dyno because that is the only tru way to measure increases and decreases.

Abuimad
03-23-2006, 10:40 AM
ill try to get hold of a shop with a dyno cause i know of none over here were i live...but the thing is i have raced a couple of non kompressor 230's like mine and we are pretty much the same.....in my opinion there is no such thng as cheap power...if you want some serious increase in power...sell the car and get a AMG version of it...or prepare to spend lots of $$$ on superchargers...or turbo's....just my $.02

htfan1
03-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
I would have to disagree. I've raced a fellow member with a C36 and my C43 and I can tell you that performance was very similar. I say do the dyno because that is the only tru way to measure increases and decreases.

I would have to disagree with you. 25HP is a lot to a C220 with less than 150HP.

You may be forgetting the HP of a C220 is significantly lower than the C36 or C43.

K_Sport Driver
03-23-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm afraid this is not an option for my C220. A pulley would only apply if I had a 230K.
oh, sorry. I thought you had a 230, for which i THOUGHT there was an underdrive pulley. anyway, other options include header, high flow cats, less-restrictive muffler, larger diameter (only moderately larger) exhaust piping, MSD ignition (still cheaper than a chip) if they've managed to figure out how it works on mercedes motors, CAI, etc. many bolt-on possibilities.

Renn 208
03-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Abuimad
.....in my opinion there is no such thng as cheap power...if you want some serious increase in power...sell the car and get a AMG version of it...or prepare to spend lots of $$$ on superchargers...or turbo's....just my $.02

And I'd say that Speedybenz's example would go to show that there is such thing as cheap power...when you're willing to put in the effort. Cheap, off-the-shelf-power, is certainly more difficult to find...but if we all only thought off the shelf, then lots of the dope rides here wouldn't exist.

Oh and while we're playing the .02 game, I'd say that I felt a difference of 13 rwhp on a car with a base of 286 rwhp. Sure, seat-of-the-pants dynos are by no means a confirmation of things, and more often than not they're "optimistic", but from my experience, if the gains are there, you can feel it.

Another thing to consider is the driver...some drivers are more sensitive to what's going on with their car than others. Most folks "think" that they are more in tune with the car, but there are those out there who actually can tell.

K_Sport Driver
03-23-2006, 10:59 AM
I would have to disagree with you. 25HP is a lot to a C220 with less than 150HP.

You may be forgetting the HP of a C220 is significantly lower than the C36 or C43.

agreed, but your car is a bit lighter than the cars with heavier, more powerful motors.

htfan1
03-23-2006, 12:37 PM
This is great input! I appreciate the feedback.

It seems saving my $$$ for a Supercharger/Turbo/headers etc. with an ARB engineering approved EO number (for CA smog cert) is the only way to go. I hope these mods exist for CA cars.

I'm not ready to sell and upgrade. I'm too attached!