PDA

View Full Version : underbody cleaning

trymonlam
03-22-2006, 06:24 AM
i am thinking of having the car's underbody steam cleaned after the installation of the new exhaust. i was told that it would take away the crud as well as other matters stuck under there, including the coating and rust proof.
has anyone here had this done before? how do you like the result? also, will the underbody rot faster because of the removal of various coatings? how about noise?
thanks in advance.

Pagz
03-22-2006, 12:39 PM
I didnt think steam cleaning removed the rust proofing?,i guess it depends on what was used,maybe the spray on tar they use for older japanese imports does?
if it did remove them noise would increase,things would rust.

I was looking to have mine cleaned at some stage.

trymonlam
03-22-2006, 01:31 PM
i am not sure if the rust proof would be gone. that's what i am tryng to find out. i know that the under coating would be gone, and that would result is heavier noise. but they can reapply that right there in the shop for a little extra. what i worry about would be the rust proof.
anyone know more about this and is willing to share?

coolin
03-23-2006, 05:19 PM
I don't imagine the rust proofing they have at the shop won't be as good as the stuff sprayed on in the factory. The factory stuff is really on thick.

Plus...melting that MB-installed goop would make a pretty big mess :)

trymonlam
03-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by coolin
I don't imagine the rust proofing they have at the shop won't be as good as the stuff sprayed on in the factory. The factory stuff is really on thick.

Plus...melting that MB-installed goop would make a pretty big mess :)

i don't know if they would even do rust proofing in the shops. i was told that they would do undercoating, but that in no way would lessen any chance of rust. it's just there to keep the noise out of the cabin.