PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Fog lights

BenzMeister
07-23-2003, 10:03 AM
I found a pair of PIAA fog lights, that I would like to buy, they will fit nicely in the cutouts in the lower bumper, however I noticed in the directions the supplied harness has to be wired to the battery, as you know that's going to be tough as the battery is in the trunk. It there anywhere under the hood I can wire these lights without splicing. MY car is a 99 C280.

Thanks
:( :(

ryhi
07-23-2003, 10:16 AM
i hav a set of fogs too, and have the same problem....since the battery is in the trunk...just mount the fogs in the back!!:D

JRE320
07-23-2003, 05:59 PM
Are u planning to have a seperate switch? If not you can probably tap on the wires to the existing fog lights.

ryhi
07-23-2003, 09:32 PM
my car doesnt hav fog lights

Deepchord
07-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Yeah let me tell you a story about fog lights..

I bought a pair of PIAA's at Car Toys on sale for $199.
I pay for them and ask if they can be mounted in the
front bumber of a 98 C230 in the factory holes.

Car Toys said they would make them flush, and build
and paint these fiberglass mounting plates and make it
all flush and tricked out to look OE. Anyhow, they qouted
me $1200 in parts and labor and to keep the car for 3 days.
As a result I was so angry I returned the lights and ripped the sale person's business card I was given, in a million pieces
and tossed it all over the counter and left. They thought
nothing of it too.

[Park Meadows Mall, Colorado]

Avoid these turkeys at all cost for you guys that live here.

Since then I haven't persued foglights on my 202.

Ultimately, it would be so tight to have them wired to the two way
switch in the dash for the regular headlights. When you pull the
knob out farther the fog lights would engange instead of having
a clumsy dip switch mounted somewhere under the dash.

ryhi
07-24-2003, 07:57 AM
can u splice the dimmer parking lights and wire it to there?

nokia8860
07-24-2003, 08:15 AM
Didnt know if they changed it from a 1997 model but if they did sorry for this information...

When you pull the headlight switch out to 1 click, 2nd meaning rear red foglight, driving lights are activated below the low beam lights.

You could just disconnect the driving lights and use that wire for your fogs. That way you can still use the headlight switch and avoid putting additional switch.

http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/album06/front.sized.jpg

The above picture is what I described above. Nevermind that the left fog seems to be aimed higher, just the stoopid angle of the ground. And since youre in there playing with wires might as well wire up the citylights as well.

Another way is wire up the foglights to an empty slot in your fuse box, since the power is connected to the battery in the rear no need to run a long wire since MB did it for you. Use a standard relay for the on off stuff and hook it up to say a stock foglight switch from a W208 (at least i think its from there) and drill a hole in your center console for another trick factory look as it will have the symbol for fog/driving lights and illumiate in that cool off white/orange oem colour.

98_Benzo
07-24-2003, 03:05 PM
can u splice the dimmer parking lights and wire it to there?

Just be careful if you splice, I have seen a lot of things go wrong when people splice stuff. You want to make sure the wire your splicing into can take that much electricity all at once. I know splicing is the easiest way to go, but a lot of times not the safest. Just a word of wisdom (damn, I am starting to sound like my father)!!!:D :D

ryhi
07-25-2003, 08:59 AM
can someone tell me what bulbs to use on a 99 c230 kompressor?
im talking about the headlights, highbeams, and driving lights?

JRE320
07-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
can someone tell me what bulbs to use on a 99 c230 kompressor?
im talking about the headlights, highbeams, and driving lights?

Open the cover of your headlight and pull out the bulb.
There you would find the info. that you need to know.

Deepchord
07-25-2003, 12:42 PM
ryhi

If I knew I would tell you. I figured you weren't looking for that rude Bay Area attitude when you posted that question. But there are tons of light bulb guides on-line.

Try www.sylvania.com

ryhi
07-25-2003, 02:18 PM
wow...the driving lights and the high beams use the same bulb?

JRE320
07-29-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Deepchord
ryhi

If I knew I would tell you. I figured you weren't looking for that rude Bay Area attitude when you posted that question. But there are tons of light bulb guides on-line.

Try www.sylvania.com

What rude bay Area attitude you saying? :confused: It is only wise for someone to discover what he or she is looking for if only one would try digging more deeper into the source. ;) :)

mr. gatsbury
09-06-2004, 08:29 PM
I just replaced all my Head and Fog lights with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. I don't know what the model numb. is but I'll post it tomorrow, the box is still in the car...

heman
09-09-2004, 06:44 AM
you know ryhi every merc comes with fog lamps but theyre built into the headlamp so what you need to do is opent he back of the headlamp up and u will see when u got ur heads on the normal lamps and then when ui pull out the switch on the first step u will notice the closer to the grille lights up of your headlamp and those my friend are ur fogs, trust me wire the fogs to these lamps because i dont them and then when u got ur dim lamps on pull out and ur fogs will be on and it looks good because ur whole lamp lights up dim with the closer parts of the grille more brighter and then if u set ur external fogs more wider apart then it looks like u got a body kit on ur car even when its standard, this is what you call deceiving other 202 drivers to screw about whats so good about ur car ill send some pics of my car with the fogs on soon and trust me when i got them on everyone thinks me cruising AMG because i have not used normal AMG square fogs i used small PIAA ferrari ones the ones they use in thye latest 645ci schnitzer BMW's they look good trust me so if ur wiring up ur fogs i recommend u wire them to ur internal fogs and oh yeh remember u have no excuses for driving with ur fogs on in england its a £40 fine and the p[olice officer said to me excuse me sir u do know u have to go through 4 sets of switches before you get to your foglamps so dont tell me u didnt know u had them on woops, but i got away with a caution thank god....

36AMG43
09-15-2004, 05:46 AM
For a 1999 C43, my fog lights in the headlight assembly doesn't work. From what I understand, the C43 only has the fogs in the bumper and the fog lights in the low beam headlight assembly is bypassed compared to other MB's. My high beam is located in the separate housing next to the low beam.

The manual says that the fog lights in the low beam should work with one pull, the wiring harness is there, but other C43 owners have wired theirs to work, HOW DO YOU DO THAT?

H3MAN
09-15-2004, 05:56 AM
36AMG43 i have not got an AMG so i dont think i would know, but u know as i done my job myself it cannot be too hard, what gets me is u said in the manual it says that the fog in the low beam is supposed to light up, the fog is in the high beam closer to the grille, you know when the blue light comes on inside your clocks, in the same part of the lamp as that is where the fog lamps inside the lamp is.
the only reason i reckon they look better here is because the external fogs are set wider apart from the internal fogs and it really looks good just like they have set it up on the new 645 ci BMW's which im sure everyone agrees with here looks good, even though i hate BMWs.
anyway i reckon u should get someone to play with the switch whilst u watch the light from the front and spot the fogs and then pull the wire out to one bulb and if ur fogs doint work u know thats the wire for the fogs, keep doing it till u find the fogs wire and then cut fix new wire selotape and straight to the external fogs heheeheh i know alot of people probably wanna goretex seal the wires they cut aswell but come on face it your never gona keep the car more than 10 years that you will have to worry when the wire decays away so u know what just do it and get out there and cruise that 202 with the fogs on, and trust me when ugot them ull never wanna take them off

hope it helps

kind Regards

H3MAN