PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake

hvmercy
03-26-2006, 07:45 PM
How do you adjust the parking brake on a C230?

Whenever I engage mine it goes all the way to the floor.
I figure, it's time to make adjustment.

thanks

jnenad16
03-26-2006, 08:56 PM
its either under the rear seat, or under the car, cant really remember. Id check the seat first, though.

nenad

hvmercy
03-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by jnenad16
its either under the rear seat, or under the car, cant really remember. Id check the seat first, though.

nenad

Thanks Nenad, I'll check it as soon as I get back.

alboogiee
03-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by hvmercy
Thanks Nenad, I'll check it as soon as I get back.

if it is the parking brake you should only have to tighten the cord...if it were the brake pedal that went to the floor then i think you have a problem.

hvmercy
03-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by alboogiee
if it is the parking brake you should only have to tighten the cord...if it were the brake pedal that went to the floor then i think you have a problem.

I'm quite sure that it's just a matter of adjusting the cable.
However, i looked under the seat and didn't find any links
to that. I have to raise the car but it's so damn wet right now.
Perhaps I'll wait until it all dries up.

jnenad16
03-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by hvmercy
I'm quite sure that it's just a matter of adjusting the cable.
However, i looked under the seat and didn't find any links
to that. I have to raise the car but it's so damn wet right now.
Perhaps I'll wait until it all dries up.
under the seat, but in the middle there is a cover with 3 10mm nuts and under it should be the pivot and the adjuster.

nenad

jnolte
03-30-2006, 02:45 PM
under the seat, but in the middle there is a cover with 3 10mm nuts and under it should be the pivot and the adjuster.

nenad

okay i found what you are talking about, and you use and alen key to adjust it. But what is the proper way? How much should i tighten it, what is the pivot?

any explination, it looks pretty striaght forward i just like to know wwhat im messing with hehe

jnenad16
03-30-2006, 03:25 PM
if your parking brake is fine, you should not mess with factory preset. if the pedal seems too loose, then tighening it a bit and depressing the pedal after each attempt is the way to find the appropriate pedal tension.

nenad

jnolte
03-30-2006, 03:35 PM
my pedal was going to the floor and barley holding, so i tightened it all the way and it still goes pretty far down but holds much better. I guess i need new parking brake...

hvmercy
03-30-2006, 04:37 PM

nenad

I saw that, I thought it was for something else. I'll get to it
as soon as my wife gets home.

Thanks for the help Nenad. I really appreciate it man!

jnenad16
03-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
I guess i need new parking brake...
sounds like it, but then the shoes dont wear out that fast, they usually out last the engine itself.

nenad

martattack
03-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Not sure if this is true for all models, but there is also some adjustment in the e-brake drum/brake rotor itself. There is an access hole in the hub to get to the toothed adjustment wheel.

jnenad16
03-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by BoominBenz
Not sure if this is true for all models, but there is also some adjustment in the e-brake drum/brake rotor itself. There is an access hole in the hub to get to the toothed adjustment wheel.
the shoes are self adjusting(supposedly). if there is a significant gap between the shoes and the drum, then the e-brake mechanism requires some attention.

nenad

03-31-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by BoominBenz

I confirm I've read that there are two differents place to adjust parking brake cable/movement: below the rear cushion and in the drum/brake itself.

Sorry I don't have any experience to better specify how does both two work!

Hi:)

95c280
12-15-2008, 01:25 PM
I found the pivot and the adjuster. Can you explain how to adjust it? Should I tighten the allen screw? Anything else I should do? How about that black piece of round plastic? Do I need to turn it? Thanks.

nenad

johnnybravo
11-28-2012, 05:54 AM
I found the pivot and the adjuster. Can you explain how to adjust it? Should I tighten the allen screw? Anything else I should do? How about that black piece of round plastic? Do I need to turn it? Thanks.

guys, excuse the kindergarten question, but when u say the adjuster is 'under the seat', do you mean INSIDE the car under the actual seat cusion, or OUTSIDE underneath the car with it up on a ramp? thanks

mbsickness
11-28-2012, 10:53 AM
It is inside the car under the rear seat cusion.