PDA

View Full Version : Pls Help!!! Instrument Cluster Issues..Have read all here none answers my quetion!!!

Afmoose23
03-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Ok I recently bought a 1996 C220 with 11900 miles on it, top shape great price. The a frien of mine ownes a dealership and it was on his preowned lot he gave me 2000 off of the price because he does not mess with benz but he knows I do and he called me up, so I got it Dirt Cheap but the problem is that the cluster does not work.
The Mileage the clock and temp work fine... All of the lights come on at start, but all of the guages are dead!!! Even the orange light that tells me im out of gas shines. The tach needle kind of shakes a little bit all of the time but it thats it. I had a 1994 740il before and I had a simular issue pulled the cluster changed a Very small fuse and it worked fine. Does this cluster have a fuse? I think its getting some power to the needles other wise the tach wouldnt be moving. The guy i bought it from said it worked fine at first then stopped and would "just come on" at random times..Its a 3rd car for me but ive been driving it the past 3 weeks and it hasnt came to life yet! :-( The battery is a big one brand new but not original, some people i have read that the battery has to be just right voltage put out? im stumped I love this little car and want to keep it but i need to work out a few issues first. ANY IDEAS??? I would Greatly appreciate...This weekend I plan to remove the Bag and wheel and test the connections with test light. It seems to be a grounding issue does anyone have a wiring diagram for this year model or know where i can get one just for the cluster? I have checked the fuses underthe hood also....Tnks in advance This isnt my first Mbz but ive learned too hate them but its been 2 years since a benz headache so it was time !!!! J

MYMBZZL
03-28-2006, 04:24 PM
It sounds like a wiring problem not a fuse cause if there was a problem with the clusters fuse it won't come on at all not on occassion! I think you should have a mechanic take it out and look at it, or you can do it yourself. If anything you should just replace the cluster from one on ebay since you got the car cheap a new cluster would be no problem in my opinion just replace it!

martattack
03-28-2006, 06:45 PM
Check your fuses before you do anything. Fuses are the cheapest to replace :)

Afmoose23
03-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks Guys..I have a cluster on the way from www.car-parts.com and I am going to replace every fuse and spray that dialectic (sp) wire connector spray on them and the cluster connections.....BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE @ pull the wheel even if its NOT telescopic....Tilt it and then pull the bottom and it slides right up the top of the air bag...Ive seen others say they remove the wheel....Ive had other bnz so i know that they are VERY moody. ;-) I dont think its a fuse either I think its either the cluster or a GROUND Issue..I wish i could find the wiring diagram..Off ebay I guess... Since the tack needle flickers like its getting some kind of power when the iginition is switched on and the car is running...Thanks again guys!!!
J

martattack
03-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Pulling the wheel depends. I don't have a telescopic wheel. I got my cluster out once without removing the wheel, but it's the last time i'll do it because I scratched some of the vinyl surrounding the cluster. It also looked like I was about to snap off the trip reset/clock pins.

It does sound like it could be a grounding problem, and/or an internal problem in the cluster.

Here is a wiring diagram

http://202tech.mkosonen.com/misc/c220cluster.pdf

Good Luck,
Martin

Afmoose23
03-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks Guys..I have a cluster on the way from www.car-parts.com and I am going to replace every fuse and spray that dialectic (sp) wire connector spray on them and the cluster connections.....BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE @ pull the wheel even if its NOT telescopic....Tilt it and then pull the bottom and it slides right up the top of the air bag...Ive seen others say they remove the wheel....Ive had other bnz so i know that they are VERY moody. ;-) I dont think its a fuse either I think its either the cluster or a GROUND Issue..I wish i could find the wiring diagram..Off ebay I guess... Since the tack needle flickers like its getting some kind of power when the iginition is switched on and the car is running...Thanks again guys!!!
J