PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Shaking

loudandheard
03-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Recently my car has been shaking as if it wanted to turn off. The car does not turn off it just shakes for a quick second. It happens when I start the car and when I sit in traffic. I haven't had any other problems, the car accelerates fine, no check engine light, nothing suspicious. Is this something common or is there something that is potentially failing? The car is a 96 c220 and it has about 140,000 miles.

jnenad16
03-30-2006, 04:50 PM
could be a number of things. Id recommend you run a can of fuel system cleaner, and see if it helps. it could be just a simple run-on due to dirty and sticky injectors.

nenad

davis449
03-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Kinda sounds like motor mounts, and at that mileage, if you haven't done them yet, it seems about right. I'll tell you though, I've had a subtle vibration, more like a subtle shake in the car at idle, in both of my w202's...even after motor and tranny mounts were fixed (in both cars). Nothing was wrong with either of them, they just did that.

loudandheard
03-31-2006, 05:31 AM
Yeah, I changed my motor mounts a couple of months ago. I found out that when I turn off the AC the shaking stops. So now I'm thinking it has something to do with the AC. The AC has been acting odd, it blows intermitently and it still blows cold. What could this be a sign of? Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

Abuimad
03-31-2006, 05:53 AM
are motor mounts expensive to replace...and does it take a lot of time ?

davis449
03-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Abuimad

Yeah I do believe the motor mounts are an expensive one.

jnolte
03-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Abuimad

not the part, the labor!

jnenad16
03-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by loudandheard
Yeah, I changed my motor mounts a couple of months ago. I found out that when I turn off the AC the shaking stops. So now I'm thinking it has something to do with the AC. The AC has been acting odd, it blows intermitently and it still blows cold. What could this be a sign of? Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
maybe the auxiliary fans are out of balance, possibly due to a motor damage or a broken fan.

nenad

714guy
03-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by davis449
Yeah I do believe the motor mounts are an expensive one.

They're Cheap, on my 97 C280, they were $50 on each side and $60 for the tranny mount. They are also very easy to do if you are some what handy. . . one bolt out, old mount out, new mount in, and then bolt back in. :D :D

iwhocorrupts
03-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Ive had a number of shaking issues, first it was a spark plug, then it was a wire, then an injector, then recently it was a bad wiring harness, so there are many things that could cause an engine to shake. As far as the AC, im not so sure, I never tried turning mine off.