PDA

View Full Version : jerky shifting?

kowalski
04-06-2006, 04:58 AM
this is my 3rd post. hello to you all.
i wan't to ask you about the weird shifting the automatic have on the C43 AMG. i red on the other forums that shifting can act weird on these cars so i decided to try it my self, i was driving in D-MODE from stand still,put it in D. evrything ok,when shifting automaticly to 2nd. gear does not change automaticly instead it hezitates,rev limiter goes towards red,i have to let of the gas pedal and then the 2nd goes in gear. the other gears changes great,this only occurs between 1st and 2nd gear. i have changed the oil in the transmission,the car have 70,000kilometers on the clock. what could be the problem. it's hard to loose a race at the redlight this way!!!!!!!!!!

RehGeeBenzo
04-06-2006, 09:26 AM
im glad u posted this because mine does the same exact thing but i have a 99 c280 sport

but i would love the help also

NISMOPOWERED
04-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Ok if I read this right when you have it in D it shifts fine. When your in any of the lowers numbers it revs out more and shifts firmer. right? That is normal. When in the lower numbers you are telling the ECU that you want it to hold the gear longer. At higher RPM's there is more pressure in the trans so the shifting will be alot firmer. That is why you feel it shift more at the higher RPM's.

K_Sport Driver
04-06-2006, 12:00 PM
the car does this when the engine's cold so it'll warm up faster. is it doing it ALL the time, or just right after you start it?

RehGeeBenzo
04-06-2006, 01:33 PM
yea just when u start it... it does it like once

lewda
04-06-2006, 02:28 PM
i have a 99 C230 Kompressor and mine is jumping from 2nd to 3rd half the time with city driving, or when i slow down, like if it was about to shift into 3rd gear it'll jerk back to 2nd or something and its bugging me out, and i too only have about 70k on my clock, whats the dealy? do i just need to change my tranny fluid? or do i need the dreadful rebuild soon?

kowalski
04-06-2006, 09:44 PM
hey buddies,maybe i wasn,t clear enough. the car have the right working temperature, after i drove i for 30minutes,engine is not cold.then i wan't to play the devil on the road sometimes and step on the gas from standing still and i wan't to get a fast accelleration from 0-60 miles/hour.the engine is fully warmed up and so is the transmission. and when i drive it in D-mode it only jerks between 1st. gear and 2nd automatically.if i shift the car manually this never happens. i hope i was clear enogh to explain it good!!!does this occur to any of you c-class owners with 722.6 gearbox?

could it be that my car have to much massive tourqe in the engine so the transmission must have a protective limiter not to harm the transmission on lower gears meaning 1st. and 2nd. gear. :rolleyes: by the way it's a C43 AMG for you who don't know

systemdrive1
04-06-2006, 09:50 PM
yeah i have the same thing happening to my 2000 c230k

it gets jerky from first to second

it seems like it only happens if i drive pretty slowly

i'm just going to assume its fine if other people have this too :P

misterblack
04-07-2006, 03:32 AM
Try changing your ATF and buy a new filter. See if this makes a difference. Make sure you buy new gaskets for the pan....don't re-use old ones.

I change the ATF and filter in my C36 once a year. May seem overkill, but the $70 I spend in fluid and parts is better than buying an new AMG trans IMO.

kowalski
04-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by misterblack
Try changing your ATF and buy a new filter. See if this makes a difference. Make sure you buy new gaskets for the pan....don't re-use old ones.

I change the ATF and filter in my C36 once a year. May seem overkill, but the $70 I spend in fluid and parts is better than buying an new AMG trans IMO.

hey mr black i did change the atf last year and the gaskets.

OzC36
04-07-2006, 04:50 AM
Are you saying the RPM is flaring on the change from first to second gear? Some interesting reading below from Steve Brotherton at Continental Imports:

Another common problem occurs after someone breaks the plastic source tee. During most of the ingenious repairs I have worked behind, the orifice was omitted. This leaves either a constant high vacuum or a variable vacuum that is skewed high. Either condition causes slipping or flaring conditions. This occurs when the vacuum supply is so great that the proportioned leak is small by comparison, resulting in vacuum that’s too high.
http://www.continentalimports.com/ser_ic20242.html

NISMOPOWERED
04-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Remember guys that we have two trans. Up to 96 its a 4spd thats pretty bullet proof. 97-99 its a 5spd adaptive trans that is not very well liked or long lasting! 00+ is the 5spd triptronic. Most C43's have the sucky 5spd. Sorry!

benzonline
04-07-2006, 10:20 PM
I think I know what you're talking about and also beleive that its normal.

When driving normally, I felt that quick jerk from 1st to 2nd (not manually shifting but in D).

My W203 does it aswell.

JConnX
04-09-2006, 09:04 AM
From what I've seen in other people's relpys and my own personal experience, it seems normal. My 2000 C230K does the same exact thing... it's jerks a little when it shifts from 1st to 2nd

OzC36
04-09-2006, 04:25 PM
http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/TransVacTune

I guess it all depends on what you call normal! :)

kowalski
04-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by kowalski
this is my 3rd post. hello to you all.
i wan't to ask you about the weird shifting the automatic have on the C43 AMG. i red on the other forums that shifting can act weird on these cars so i decided to try it my self, i was driving in D-MODE from stand still,put it in D. evrything ok,when shifting automaticly to 2nd. gear does not change automaticly instead it hezitates,rev limiter goes towards red,i have to let of the gas pedal and then the 2nd goes in gear. the other gears changes great,this only occurs between 1st and 2nd gear. i have changed the oil in the transmission,the car have 70,000kilometers on the clock. what could be the problem. it's hard to loose a race at the redlight this way!!!!!!!!!!

hey to ya all the shop told me there is no upgraded software for the transmission here in Sweden. how come there is an upgraded software on the US-market, that is stupid:confused: