PDA

View Full Version : about porterfield pads

kowalski
04-07-2006, 04:48 AM
hi again want to ask u about these racepads porterfields RS4 streetpads,do you have good experiance from them,dusty,last long,better than oem pads? i bought them and have them on my car now, it seems to be less dust, but they dont bite as good as the oem jurids,but the jurids dust alot! so write good or bad critics about those pads.they were freekin expensive to order from usa same price if i would have bought oem jurids totalcost.did i get jipped or what??????????????:bandit:

OzC36
04-07-2006, 05:22 AM
I might be a bit different, but the only reason I think we have brakes on cars is for stopping! The better the stopping performance, the higher the level of safety and the more I like them. For this reason I only buy Mercedes OEM pads.

There may be aftermarket pads that have similar or even better performance, but I have never seen any independant testing from an authoritive source to prove those claims. So in the meantime I will stick to Mercedes recommendations.

As my priority lies with maximum performance, I don't give two hoots about cost, brake dust or wear. If I am able to stop just one or two metres quicker in an emergency stop from high speed, that could mean the difference between a little heart flutter and a rear-ender or T-boner accident with injuries.

My speculation is that race pads are made to withstand the constant high tempertaures incurred in that type of driving without excessive wear and loss of performance causing brake fade. There will obviously be some design trade-offs in this type of pad material that may sacrifice stopping performance at low brake pressures and tempertaures in return for superior performance under extreme conditions.

If your race pads are not giving you the stopping performance that you expect under normal road conditions, change them for the OEM pads. Keep the race pads for the days that you race your car at the track.

coolin
04-07-2006, 05:47 AM
I tend to agree. The OEM pads are so good for typical use.

Dust is a pain, but it's pretty easy to wipe down your wheels.

mbLova
04-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Race pads wil also wear down your rotors more, unless you get the whole package. Thats the calipers, the rotors, and the pads. something like a brembo gt package ...

Denlasoul
04-07-2006, 10:28 AM
For racepads, arent you supposed to warm them up in order for them to work well?

So maybe it may feel like less of a bite as they are still cold.

jnenad16
04-07-2006, 11:18 AM
I have hawk hps pads on my 420SEL, and they are the same, even though they claim high friction hot or cold. until they warm up, I need to be careful when braking. however, the dust is nearly nonexistent and they are completely silent, never heard a squeal from them yet.

nenad

tpliquid
04-07-2006, 11:58 AM
OEM or nothing.

had porterfields, squeek too loud. no good.

oem best

Ashkan's C280
04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
so has anyone had better performance than oem? I was also looking at rotors pads ss lines and better fluid as a less costly break upgrade, for best performace what do you guys think?

!!!!!NJ Drive
04-07-2006, 03:47 PM
i'm surprise at so many giving the thumbs up at OEM pads...i thought PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus pads were a good alternative to OEM with alot less dust

lets all keep in perspective thats its not all about the brakes on how the car stops but also the tires & how you drive ;)

misterblack
04-07-2006, 10:51 PM
I use PBR pads on my C36 and have no complaints. Cold....warm....hot...they perform great!

jnenad16
04-08-2006, 01:24 AM
I heard akebono euro ceramic exceed oem in every aspect on bmw's. considering bmw has better and stronger brakes than benz(from experience and technical opinion, I mean 202 uses lucas systems, like WTF!!!), Id guess they would be a great upgrade for our cars.

nenad

OzC36
04-08-2006, 04:03 AM
It is very likely that there are better brake pads than OEM. But how does one objectively identify them? I like hard data and avoid testimonials like the plague.

The same problem use to apply tp tyres (tires for USA) until the more credit-worthy car magazines got arouind to testing different tyres under identical conditions. This cleared up a lot of brand myths and reaffirmed others.

Has anyone seen any reputable independent and objective testing reports on brake pads?

redc36
04-09-2006, 08:38 AM
well since i tried PBR deluxe on my C36 wanted to put my opinion. A LOT less dust than OEM. and things wash off easily. braking is good or better than oem. no reason to buy oem.