PDA

View Full Version : Engine stutters, misfires at low rpm

vbrock1137
04-12-2006, 11:58 PM
I've had this problem for a few weeks now off-and-on. The motor kind of stutters for a half-second when accelerating from a complete stop, but runs like a champ otherwise. It also occasionaly misfires at parking speeds and even died once while parking. This caused the CEL to come on a few days after the symptoms started so I had the dealership pull the code, which was a misfire on one cylinder. They said it was probably "bad gas", so they put in some fuel treatment and sent me on my way. It ran fine for awhile, but then began to act up again. The CEL came on a second time a few days ago, but went away after a couple hours.

What could this be? I'd like to do what I can before paying to have it fixed. From other posts and people I've talked to I'm told it could be the MAS, O2 sensors, fuel filter, spark plugs...? The MAS was replaced about 15-20k miles ago, but the others I'm not sure. I currently have 72k miles.

I hope what I've said makes sense. I can clarify further if need be. Thanks for any help.

jnenad16
04-13-2006, 12:38 AM
start with a tune up. it should take care of the problem. having the fuel tank flushed would also be vise.

nenad

loudandheard
04-13-2006, 07:28 AM
I am having the same problem, but I don't have any check engine signs coming on. I thought it was the air conditioning, but it started to act like that with out the ac on.

yonjun
04-14-2006, 01:21 PM
same thing happened to me before. really rough idle, stuttering as if engine would die at some speed. CEL.
I changed MAF and spark plugs. no good.
dealer thought it was TCM (transmission control module). I didn't think so.
My old man took it to the garage and tuned up and all went well.
(I forgot what he exactly did. at that time, I only took care of my own car not w202.)

just go with tune up if you haven't done it already. cos it's about time anyway. and see if that solves the problem.

714guy
04-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Check for cracked/broken Spark plug boots, they'll misfire but won't throw a CEL untils it bad.

crazy00c230k
04-15-2006, 03:25 PM
i had a similar problem, im pretty sure i pulled the same code, one misfiring cylinder, i had a bad coil

Nitrogenbalance
04-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Same thing happened to me about 2 months ago. Has happened maybe 3 times since. I'm changing plugs, wires, and crank posistion sensor this weekend.

A couple times the car started and died right away. After a couple tries it fired up. I've been told by many that this part(crank p. sensor) goes and that usually is an indication of it.

About the idling though, It may be coincidence but it seems that damp weather doesn't help, if its electrical than that makes perfect sense. The thing that scares me is that a couple times when this happened my car was idling like it was a 500 cubic inch pro street motor....I mean a cup of coffee would spill all over you. Violent shaking, not sure if it is simply due to the larger engine but man....it was bad. I'm hoping the semi-tune up this weekend will clear things up. If not then maybe a bad coil or somethin...

MikeL
04-20-2006, 03:19 PM
before you do anything, just change the spark plugs if you havent done that in a while.