PDA

View Full Version : Loose buttons on stereo problem

97C28O
04-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Today when I was sitting in the car listening to the CD player I noticed that my CD button seemed to be loose and so was the the - and + under the BASS/TREBLE & BAL/FAD were loose too. Especially the - looked like it was going to fall off!

I was wondering if it is possible to stick it back on? I also remember seeing loose buttons when I was searching for a W202 back then..

1995c280
04-16-2006, 04:25 AM
there are 2 small tabs on the back of each buttom for your radio. they break over the years by constant pressing. this happened on my stock radio which i sold on ebay about a month ago. i tried superglueing the tabs back on and then re-connecting the buttons and it work but for only about a week, LOL.

sorry but time for new radio (BENZ will not sell just the buttons)!

Jason

97C28O
04-16-2006, 11:12 AM
how did you TRY GLUEING it back on? or open it?

1995c280
04-16-2006, 02:54 PM
just get a pick and pull/pry the button off the radio. unfortunatly it break the tabs completely. you will hear the snap, LOL. watch for the tab to fall. good idea is to place a rag or towel over the entire console area by the shifter so it will catch the tabs if they fall. some of mine were still somewhat attached to the buttons though. they are small white tabs that just grab onto the radio (not the best design). once you take the button off you will see exactly what i'm talkin about and you will understand how to re-glue them but like i said, it's only a temporary fix as they will break again no matter what kinda glue u use. trust me i tried everything even hot glue-ing them back on. that's what made me rip the entire system out and do a complete custom audio system.

my advice, if your not looking to replace the radio head unit. DO NOT try fixing this problem. just let it last until they fall off, because once they do, there is no permanant fix.

another solution is to take your radio to a BENZ dealer and they can have it sent out for $150 to get repaired and they will install all new buttons if they are loose but for that price you might as well by a aftermarket radio unless u REALLY like the stock one.

best of luck to you!!!!

Jason