PDA

View Full Version : C230K won't work idle after battery change...

grga
04-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Hello guys!

So, I think this is my first post here, just lurking all the time.
;-)

I've changed the battery, engine works OK, starts OK, I can drive normaly, BUT, when I stop, just turns off...

It's happening just after I changed battery. I tried to diconnect (resetting) for about half hour, no changes.

Tell me please, is there any way to correct this WITHOUT visiting car service?

Thank you very much for your answer.

P.S. car is '96.

Renn 208
04-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Sounds like your alternator is busted... by changing the battery you gave the car enough power to start up, however, if your alternator isn't working, then all of your accessories will drain what power remains, the battery wont charge, and the car will have no power to stay running.

Have the alternator checked out...it will most likely need to be replaced.

Oh and welcome to CLUB202! Let us know how it all turns out.

grga
04-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Renn 208
Sounds like your alternator is busted... by changing the battery you gave the car enough power to start up, however, if your alternator isn't working, then all of your accessories will drain what power remains, the battery wont charge, and the car will have no power to stay running.

Have the alternator checked out...it will most likely need to be replaced.

Oh and welcome to CLUB202! Let us know how it all turns out.

Hmmm... EVERYTHING was fine till I changed battery (few hours ago), the old one was good too but TOO old, I drive this car for about 30000km without any troubles...

Pagz
04-16-2006, 11:35 AM
hi,welcome to the club!
sure you didnt install it around the wrong way?:D jks

Make sure you check the terminals on the battery are tightly connected,if nessesary clean them with fine sand paper etc...
my partner rang the other day three hours drive away...said her cluster died then started again a few times...she pulled into a gas station and it wouldnt start again.... the terminals were connected,but the connection was poor even though it looked good!...and i had changed the battery that week!....

apart from that the alternator is a valid check...im fairly sure it brings up a light on your dash if its not working though

so there was very little wrong with the old battery?,just time for re-newal?

hmmm dont see to many 96 C230K thats for sure!,the earliest iv seen is 97!....can you get me a pic of your engine bay??

Paul

grga
04-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 23K
hi,welcome to the club!
sure you didnt install it around the wrong way?:D jks

Make sure you check the terminals on the battery are tightly connected,if nessesary clean them with fine sand paper etc...
my partner rang the other day three hours drive away...said her cluster died then started again a few times...she pulled into a gas station and it wouldnt start again.... the terminals were connected,but the connection was poor even though it looked good!...and i had changed the battery that week!....

apart from that the alternator is a valid check...im fairly sure it brings up a light on your dash if its not working though

so there was very little wrong with the old battery?,just time for re-newal?

hmmm dont see to many 96 C230K thats for sure!,the earliest iv seen is 97!....can you get me a pic of your engine bay??

Paul

Hahaha, you simply CAN'T be wrong while installing new battery, cables aren't long enough to make a mistake.
;-)

Good news is that trouble dissapeared after approx. 15km of driving...
Everything works like a charme now, really.

I'm from Croatia, Osijek, my C230K is the only W202 "K" in this town (around 130k citizens) and yes, it IS '96. ;-)

Engine bay?
Well, I can send you a pic but it isn't correct one. My (dunno how to tell or spell this) "valve deck" was ordinary, without "KOMPRESSOR" sig on it and regular, silver color. I replaced it with one from my godfather's W208 CLK '97 and now I HAVE red one WITH this "KOMPRESSOR" sig. ;-)

But, there is no trouble for taking pic, will do it tomorrow.
;-)

Everything for you guys, you're great, really.

grga
04-16-2006, 12:55 PM
I want to attach pic of my car but dunno how!
:D

Hehe, I hope that this will work.

My merc few months ago... (http://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mercwheelsside25yb.jpg)

I wanna buy crystal clear headlights and LED taillights but nobody wants to send those to Croatia or they ask waaaay to much money for that kind of service...

grga
04-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Forgot to say, door handles, side skirts, front and rear bumpers are painted in silver now and I have tails from '97-> (modified) model...

jnenad16
04-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by grga

I'm from Croatia, Osijek, my C230K is the only W202 "K" in this town (around 130k citizens) and yes, it IS '96. ;-)

U tom slucaju, dobrodosao! Ja sam is Beograda, ali zivim na Havajima.

nenad

grga
04-17-2006, 12:35 AM
U tom slucaju, dobrodosao! Ja sam is Beograda, ali zivim na Havajima.

nenad [/B]

Hehehe, hvala puno na dobrodoslici, nego, kako je tamo?

Daj mi na PM neki MSN ili ICQ broj da se malo ispricamo.
;-)

jnenad16
04-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by grga
Hehehe, hvala puno na dobrodoslici, nego, kako je tamo?

Daj mi na PM neki MSN ili ICQ broj da se malo ispricamo.
;-)
nazalost, ne koristim ni jedan od chat client-a, ali posalji mi email na jnenad16 @ europe. com

nenad

grga
04-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by 23K

Paul

Here we are, pics from today...
Inside (http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5687/inside0fk.jpg)
Rear (http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5351/rear8wu.jpg)
Side (http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9216/side9my.jpg) Engine (http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9287/engine4hl.jpg)