PDA

View Full Version : Koni Sport Suspension Kit

pierrebond
04-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Been doing some research into what suspension setup I want to upgrade to. I've seen that a good majority of owners have the H&R/Bilstein setup and they all seem to like it. I haven't seen much about the Koni Sport suspension kit on the forums and was wondering if anyone had any pros/cons for them. The kit is about $530 and comes with the yellow externally adjustable shocks from what I have read. The springs lower approx. 40/25mm Fr/Rr. Tirerack link (http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?&make=Koni&model=Sport+Suspension+Kit&group=Sport+Suspension+Kit&autoMake=Mercedes-Benz&autoModel=C230&autoYear=1998&autoModClar=&partNum=1130-2100&perfCode=S)

I want a firm ride, but I also want to keep some of that Mercedes sedan feel also. I like to take turns quicker and with less body roll. The roads here are pretty new so they're pretty smooth with no pot holes.

I'm looking to spend no more than $600 for springs and shocks, maybe someone has other suggestions I may have overlooked.

1995c280
04-16-2006, 03:02 PM
if you want to keep the stock benz ride quality you really can't go too low. i don't know how much you like being lowered but why not try just lower spring pads and Eibach front and rear sway bar kits with bushings.

Jason

Hotbasco
04-16-2006, 03:38 PM
I like the H&R/Bilstein set-up more than the Koni/H&R. I have the H&R/B on my C230 (lowered) and the Koni (adj) on my C36. Both are 97's. Even with the wheels swapped, I prefer the Bilstein's. I don't track these so this does not apply to anyone who wants adjustment for the track.

pierrebond
04-16-2006, 07:20 PM
When the H&R/Bilstein setup is installed, how low is the drop? I'm not really looking for a slammed look, just maybe enough room to run my finger between the top of the tire and wheel well for that low sporty look. Want to know in case I need to get some pads from the stealership.

e harmon
04-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by pierrebond
When the H&R/Bilstein setup is installed, how low is the drop? I'm not really looking for a slammed look, just maybe enough room to run my finger between the top of the tire and wheel well for that low sporty look. Want to know in case I need to get some pads from the stealership.

Unfortunately, lowering amounts based on spring and shock choices is not an exact science. There is too much variation in how the springs are made, in addition to how the vehicles will respond to them. This is probably why lowering amounts are qualified by "approximately..."

You could take a specific car, install ten different sets of a given spring model (all with the same part number) and measure 5-7 different resulting heights, even after allowing for settling. You could also do the same thing with a single set of springs on 10 supposedly identical vehicles and still see variation in the results. Since you won't know what you'll end up with until you install it, you pretty much have to do that first and then see if you need to tune it with pads.

On the subject of ride, I can't comment on how it would compare to a non-AMG stock setup, but I found Koni Yellows (on their softest setting) and Eibach Pro-kits to ride noticably more compliant than the stock suspension on my C43. The car still has a nice, tight feel and the handling is much more confident, IMO. My stock suspension had about 40k miles on it at the time of the change.

regards,

e harmon

SpEeDy230
04-16-2006, 09:14 PM
I have the H&R sport kit with #1 pads all around with stock shocks. I personally like them... Ill get Bilstiens eventually. Ryan ( Ryhi) has koni adjustables... ask him. I just realized we have the same rims... haha my size is 18x8 with a 225/40 and the rear is 18x9 with 225/40 streched.

yusuke280
04-16-2006, 10:09 PM
i have HR cup kits, and they run like champ. yes, i guess they loose the orignal "sedan" feel, but i guess if i drive at a sensible speed, its comfy.

although, i was always told by my friend that i should have ran blisten with hr or wutever springs would have been much better, i believe the match between both hr spring and damper gives the best performance..

but if ur looking for adjustables, why not go adjustables?

pierrebond
04-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Since I wont be using it as a track car I guess there is no real point in getting adjustables. I suppose I will just get the H&R/Bilstein setup and give it a week after I install it to see how much I'd like to fine tune the drop.

I have the H&R sport kit with #1 pads all around with stock shocks. I personally like them... Ill get Bilstiens eventually. Ryan ( Ryhi) has koni adjustables... ask him. I just realized we have the same rims... haha my size is 18x8 with a 225/40 and the rear is 18x9 with 225/40 streched.

I saw some pics of your ride and decided to get myself the same ones. Love the lip.

Hotbasco
04-17-2006, 03:21 PM
PierreBond ... I can comment on ride quality with these. My C36 (J. Irwan's old ride) has H&R's with Koni's. If you are slamming your ride, the Koni adjustability and spring pads do very much come into play for ride hieight and comfort.

Certainly, you know that you can achive same heights with different approaches. Ergo, he did 1/2 spring cut with 18" AMG monoblocks and #4 pads in front. This keep car loooooooooooowwww and the rubber helps to keep harshness down. Darn clever guy. Alternatively, you can go with no cut spring with #1 pad and get a harcher ride. With this the Koni "soft" setting can help a little.

Different ways to get to the same place...

pierrebond
04-17-2006, 05:25 PM
There is def an art to suspension tuning!

yonjun
04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
bilstein sport = $300

spring choices:
eibach pro ~ $270
H&R sport ~ $240
Vogtland sport ~ $190

Neither will be slammed look (max of 1.7" drop) and yet preserve good ride quality.

I personally got eibach but not installed yet.
I'll install it on stock shocks till the shock dies on me.

Hotbasco
04-18-2006, 03:39 AM
Yes, it is an art!

pierrebond
04-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Spings and Shocks are on their way. Should be here by the end of the week. I'll take some before and after shots and post em.

yonjun
04-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by pierrebond
Spings and Shocks are on their way. Should be here by the end of the week. I'll take some before and after shots and post em.

what did you end up ordering?

pierrebond
04-19-2006, 05:56 AM
Got H&R Sports from tirerack for $244 and Bilstein Sports from ebay for $309. Now I play the waiting game.

calsonic
05-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Any of you know if there is a shock mounting difference for the sport package w202s and the non sport package? I ask this because for the koni sport suspension kit, it says in the description "excludes sport suspension" (tirerack).

pierrebond
05-03-2006, 02:32 PM
I wouldnt think there would be any difference, only that it probably uses a different spring pad thickness.

Proven Guilty
05-27-2006, 06:43 PM
bump for the pics of your ride and your opinion of that combo. i'm currently looking at vogtland springs / bilstein shocks.

i basically want the most comfortable ride possible as priority over drop. i don't care much for the super slammed look, but i'm running 19" rims so it does have to come down some to balance it out.

out of vogtland, H&R, koni, and eibach -- which would have the most comfortable ride springs?

nikrox
05-22-2008, 11:52 PM
anyone have an answer to the last question?thanks

_n.

Kustomhonda
05-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Helloooo guys,

I just purchased a beau of a C43 and was buzzing through this thread trying to find the best combo of shock/springs. I came across the spring pad variations and am now very curious where they are locatd exactly. Can sosmeone tell me how to find them and read the number of "notches? Perhaps one of you guys can post a pic of both front and rear locations??
Second...On a bone stock spring and shock combo, if I come to find that my car has #4 spring pads and I decide to swap them out for #1's....What differences would I expect to see and feel with regard to ride height and ride comfort respectively?

Let me know guys,

Greg

Denlasoul
05-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Spring pads sit on top of the spring. There is a little "cup" where they are wedged in between the car and spring. Depending on the orientation, you should be able to look up there and see the bumps indicating what # pad you have.

I suggest taking off the wheel and looking up there using a flashlight. You should be able to see it.

IIRC, difference in spring pad height is 4mm. So if you went from #1 to #2, the car would be 4mm higher.

Spring pad reference Thread (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158&highlight=spring+pad)

Kustomhonda
05-28-2008, 04:20 PM
So on a bone stock spring and shock combo, if I come to find that my car has #4 spring pads and I decide to swap them out for #1's....What differences would I expect to see and feel with regard to ride height and ride comfort respectively?

G

Logic
05-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Kustomhonda
So on a bone stock spring and shock combo, if I come to find that my car has #4 spring pads and I decide to swap them out for #1's....What differences would I expect to see and feel with regard to ride height and ride comfort respectively?

G

bases on that chart it looks about 15mm which wont be a big difference .

Kustomhonda
05-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeah. That is plain to see. But do you guys think the ride would feel any different? I am leaning towards no...but perhaps someone has more real experiance with this matter. Any thoughts?

pierrebond
09-17-2008, 06:05 AM
So I've had my H&R/Bilstein setup for around 2 years now. The only thing that I don't like is it has too much bounce to it when you hit bumps or if a road is not even. My '99 M3 also has a sport suspension, but the ride quality is still way smoother yet still stiff with no bounce. Anyone have any recommendations for less of this bounciness??

Kustomhonda
09-17-2008, 06:26 AM
pierrebond,

What billstein set up did you go with? The HD's? Sports?

pierrebond
09-17-2008, 06:41 AM
I put in the bilstein sports.

Kustomhonda
09-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Pierre I've been reading that the billstein HDs (heavy dutys) are the closest feel to stock. I too have the H&R springs and am getting ready in the next few months to change out my shocks. I have the same concerns as you and based on your experiance I am definately going to go with the Billstein HDs.

pierrebond
09-17-2008, 07:13 AM
Are the HD's meant for a heavier car? That would probably make the car produce less bounce if put on a w202. Does you know if it would affect ride height at all?

Kustomhonda
09-17-2008, 07:33 AM
I have a C43. Definately a heavier car. I do not know if they are meant for a heavier car all I have read is that they provide the closest to stock feel when compared to the sports. I do not know if they would affect the ride height. I don't think so. Only the springs and spring pads should affect ride height.

pierrebond
09-17-2008, 07:49 AM
From what I understand the HDs are pretty much what comes stock on a c230 non sport model so the actual shock is longer than the Bilstein Sports. The sports are actually 15% stiffer than the Bilstein HDs. Putting HDs mmight be better, but they probably won't last long either since the shaft is longer.

Markland556
12-12-2008, 12:45 PM
regarding the first post. Are those shocks truly externally adjustable. Im looking for some nice socks that are top adjustable and get an EDFC for them. Nice tight turns and comfortable riding all in one. Has anyone had any experiance with the Konis adjustability?

c280nz
12-12-2008, 02:15 PM
markland is that you over on mbworld with the claims about the crankpulley?

Jasko
12-18-2008, 03:58 PM
what do u guys recommend for slammed car, such as no finger gap up front and rear, is there a shortened shock or body of the shock that is usable, maybe from some other model, with my hight, the shock is all the way down and bottoming out, why i tryied myself is, the rear shocks would be the correct lenght for the front, but the dampening is off, so does anyone have good suggestions thanks much

Nelson Lago
04-18-2009, 07:45 AM
OK i just found one of my springs are broken, and would like to replace them for something that can give me slightly better handling ride, whats a good combo.