PDA

View Full Version : Cutting springs?

MeanC43
04-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey everyone .... I need to lower my car... I was looking into H&R and Eibach springs... I am afraid they will lower it too much though.... the front 1.5 inches should be fine but the rear might be too low. Does anyone know much about just cutting the springs slightly? I like how the stock springs feel, so if I have them cut, will it be a pain in the ass? Also .... where should I go to have it done? THANKS

martattack
04-17-2006, 04:31 PM
When you lower your car, there is less distance to cover by the spring. That means that to completely absorb all of that energy, the spring rate needs to be higher. Cutting stock springs would probably be OK if you only want to go like an inch or so, but after that, it's advisable to go with an aftermarket spring.

As far as the ride height, it is pretty adjust able with the use of the spring pads. If the back is too low, you can get a thicker spring pad to raise it up a little bit. Same goes for the front. Do a search and look for more infomation.

I did all my suspension work in my garage. I'm not sure what a shop would charge you, if they would even cut your springs for you.