PDA

View Full Version : replace grill insert

nguyenphananh
04-20-2006, 02:08 AM
Hi
Im a nebee to this. I just ordered a S600 style grill INSERT. My question is do I have to remove the whole grill to replace the insert? or can I work directly with the original grill (frame) on the car, remove and install new insert on the car? thank you in advance

polar202
04-20-2006, 05:25 AM
Hello,

you can use the original frame.
You just put out the old insert and
put in the new one.
Its a easy job!!

greetings,
Mike

nguyenphananh
04-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Just replace the new insert and Im very happy :)
Just for the future reference for any body want to do this mod: you will have to remove the grill OFF the car, in order to replace the insert, cuz the clips that attach the main frame to the car also lock the insert into place.
Thank you everybody for all the tips and great mods :)

OzC36
04-23-2006, 12:37 AM
...you will have to remove the grill OFF the car, in order to replace the insert...
That's strange? I replaced the grille insert on my C36 a few weeks back without removing the grille frame. I just removed the bolts and clips and one screw, removed and replaced the insert then put the bolts, clips and screw back in. Maybe there was nothing holding the grille frame to the hood except friction!

nguyenphananh
04-23-2006, 01:49 AM
the bolts attach the main frame to the hood through the clips. The clips also function to hold the insert in place. So in order to remove the insert you have to remove the clips(and that 1 screw at the botton), and in order to remove the clips, you have to remove those 8 bolts. You were right that these parts were very well made, and there were lots of friction between the hood and the main frame. Try to gently push the whole grill outward after removed those 8 bolts, you will see it comes right out.
The insert I bought from ebay was thick, sturdy and well made... but was not exactly like the original, so I had to twist, turn with some force to put it into place. For that, remove the whole frame made the job much easier

OzC36
04-24-2006, 04:28 AM
Hi nguyenphananh,

Yep...I guess that makes sense. You learn something new on these forums every day.

I just love the upgraded appearance change the new grille makes to my C36!

trueog
04-30-2006, 08:21 PM
where you buy the new grills from? price? pics?

OzC36
05-01-2006, 04:05 AM
Try eBay:

http://motors.search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&mppfqy=mercedes+w202+grill&satitle=mercedes+w202+grill&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fts=2&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfQy=mercedes+grill&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=redcometm3

http://search.stores.ebay.com/mercedes-grille_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQ QcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfposZQ5AIPQ2fPos talQQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQmpp fqyZmercedesQ20202Q20grilleQQsacatZQ2d6QQsadisZ200 QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbsQQsofp Z4QQstorehubsubmitZSearch

Watch out for the so-call insert kits that are just 3M adhesive-backed silver tape.