PDA

View Full Version : ABS or FG?

McGeorgeRH
04-21-2006, 05:03 AM
Hey guys, kind of new to the club so sorry if I sound like a moron. Anyways, I have a 94 C220 and I am just starting to look at doing some mods. Cash is a problem mainly bc the Army doesn't pay me jack. Anyways, if y'all had the choice, would you go with:
1. An Erebuni kit for cheap as hell that is FG.
OR
2. A Rieger kit that would cost me a lot more made of ABS.

Thanks for the help!
-Mic

davis449
04-21-2006, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't go fiber glass. I would stick with ABS. I think you would be sorry for going with something that could damage easily. I see rock chips being a MAJOR issue with anything fiberglass. I mean, just look at Corvettes.

jnolte
04-21-2006, 08:58 AM
ABS is much better in terms of fitment, durability. Fiberglass is weaker and cracks sometimes, but generaly cheaper in price. There are many good body kits made in fiberglass too...

Renn 208
04-21-2006, 09:10 AM
I think that the answer to your question really depends on the total cost of the mod....

Things to consider: How much labor will be necessary to properly fit the bumper? If one piece is cheaper, but requires lots of expensive labor to fit and finish, you might eat up your budget

How much will damage be a risk? Plans to lower the car? How many miles are on the car? How are the roads where you drive? Lots of re-treads? rocks? Nice smooth road everywhere?

If labor's cheap, and you have little risk of damage, it might work just fine to go with FG...it's also easier to repair minor damage.

ABS would be more durable, and may take less work to assure fit and finish.

All that being said...if you crack either on a parking block or curb and break a mount, neither material will save you, and you'll be in for a new bumper anyway.