PDA

View Full Version : Technical Specs about the car (CM, Cl and Cd)

youthebest
04-25-2006, 09:54 PM
I saw from somewhere that w202's have like .32 for its coefficient of drag.

Does anyone know what the coefficient of lift of this car is?
Does anyone know where the center of mass would be for this car?

I'm thinking about making my own spoiler but I wanted to do some calculations before I do that.

youthebest
04-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Never mind, I don't think I'll be able to find out the the coefficients are.

I have a project in mind though.
I always wanted make a variable angle spoiler like F1's or Porsche(function-wise, not the look of it).
I'll put a linear potentiometer on each shock to measure the displacement of the spring.
The spoiler will actively balance or force down the car as needed.

I know this is not that hard but it'll be time and money consuming.

MirageHatch
04-26-2006, 12:30 AM
i really think that is a pretty out there idea...i mean it may be possible and all but you'd probably get WAY WAY WAY better results in handling etc if you just bought some really good tires and some suspension goodies....

oh yea and on the plus side you will have saved many many hours of work on this adjustable spoiler....

rollinrealbig
04-26-2006, 06:21 AM
you planning to fly or ... ? LoL Just let the Aerodynamics of the 202 do their thing.

so if you make this spoiler, whats the advantage of it ? downforce ?

youthebest
04-26-2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
you planning to fly or ... ? LoL Just let the Aerodynamics of the 202 do their thing.

so if you make this spoiler, whats the advantage of it ? downforce ?

Advantage: none or little

Only reason that I thought about this thing is that I wanted to apply what I have learned in school.

If I do this, it will be solely for an experimental purpose. I want to check how would downforce or upforce of a spoiler affect the car's behavior. I also wanted to see the effect of a roll using two piece spoiler(rotating in opposite directions). Finally, I wanted to see the effect of a vertical stabilizer while turning or drifting.

I just wanted to combine aerospace dynamics and car dynamics.

rollinrealbig
04-26-2006, 08:47 AM
so where would you test out everything ? I know you cant just be doing this in the freeway in the middle of the night LoL.

so this is just a fun project for ya!

MirageHatch
04-26-2006, 04:47 PM
interesting stuff....i guess that most important thing would be a way to measure the results?

youthebest
04-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by MirageHatch
interesting stuff....i guess that most important thing would be a way to measure the results?

Yes, that's why I want to measure the pressure(down force) on all four wheels simultaneously. I could also use OBD dyno which is not really accurate but I can still get the picture of what's going on by looking at the MAS flow rate and so on.