PDA

View Full Version : MAS problems? how can I tell

omeyhomey
04-26-2006, 12:11 AM
hey guys,

My car is still running like crap and im trying to figure this out to see what hte problem could be. I changed EGR valve, I changed my injectors to upgraded Accel (still didn't fix my problem). My car is running in limp mode and i cannot figure out why. Could it be my MAS control unit? if so do u know where i can find one for cheap? What is typical symptoms when MAS control unit goes bad? I though it might actually be my mass airflow sensor but i dont think its that b/c i just cleaned it with my alcohol technique as I always do. One day two years ago i was accelerating at full throttle and the car all of a sudden crapped out big time (felt like it hit redline but at only 5000 rpm). since then it has never been the same. I replaced distributor and spark plug wires 2 years ago and i also changed plugs and etc etc. I still cannot locate the problem i am thinking its either mass airflow sensor or the MAS control unit (leaning towards this one b/c it seems more like an actually electrical problem caused by an electric surge). all fuses are ok and everything else "seems" like its functioning perfectly. any ideas?

jnolte
04-26-2006, 12:41 AM
could be your MAS, but perhaps its a bad wire harness? Could be ECU also or tranny.....

Its kind of hard to pinpoint which one. do you get CEL?

c55m8o
04-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
What is typical symptoms when MAS control unit goes bad? In my case it was this:
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7908
Symptoms are not limited to what I experienced I understand.
Provided at that link is also my description of the actual quantitative technique I witnessed that the MB mechanic can use with the Start Diagnosis computer to determine the 'liklihood' the MAS/MAF is at fault. (still not 100% I'm told)

omeyhomey
04-26-2006, 02:59 PM
hey guys,

today my AC system started acting up too randomly cutting off and etc. I read that MAS also controls AC system along with alot of other components so im gonna go ahead and replace the MAS. I really think thats the problem. the 300SE's do not have check engine lights, they did not come until later. I do have a code scanner though, i will hook it up tonight and see what it says. thx again guys.

omeyhomey
04-26-2006, 03:04 PM
are you talking about the MAS airflow sensor or the actual MAS computer?

c55m8o
04-26-2006, 05:51 PM
I replied in my other thread but in case you don't catch it there, the sensor.

Ashkan's C280
04-26-2006, 06:05 PM
his car is odb1 so I am not sure if stardiag will work, i still say change the mas, its a million years old...