PDA

View Full Version : resurficing cross drilled rotors

Deepchord
07-27-2003, 02:16 AM
I need front brakes. And I was thinking of replacing my rotors and getting some Brembo crossdrilled units. Can these be resurficed down the road to speak? And would I be able to use them with typical factory calipers?

JRE320
07-27-2003, 03:34 AM
Yes! ;)

CKlasse
07-27-2003, 07:34 AM
Bring your front rotors to local NAPA. X-drilled or not, they machined it for $10 each. It saves a lot of time and avoid a lot of hassle.

Funny, I machine a lot of other rotors...but too scare to touch my own! :D

SLAMMED_C
07-28-2003, 10:27 AM
cross drilled rotors can NOT be machined

CKlasse
07-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
cross drilled rotors can NOT be machined

I had this argument with a friend of mine who had wilwood rotors on his M3.... until I machined them myself for him :)

There is no major different here... instead of 1000/2000 micro meter on the first cut..do 500 micro..then a couple of 1000 micro. Finally recheck the surface -- keep doing 1000micro on both side until they are parallel!

Of course we are talking about good quality rotors to begin with!

Regards

MBATF
07-28-2003, 12:17 PM
cross drilled rotors can NOT be machined Ofcourse u can, u just have to turn it very slow, and most shop don't wanna to do it is becuz it take too long for them, or they just have not yet done it.

SLAMMED_C
07-30-2003, 02:16 PM
Ofcourse u can, u just have to turn it very slow, and most shop don't wanna to do it is becuz it take too long for them, or they just have not yet done it.
Well I'm only going from my experiences at the Benz dealership I work at.. and we never machine the cross drilled rotors on any cars that have them... be it AMG or the S-classes, whatever has them.
From what I've learned only replace cross drilled rotors.. never machine.. and I'm not saying this because we want to charge the customer more, they just cant be machined. u end up tearing out material when the cutter goes past a hole.
maybe u were using a special brake disc lathe??

MBATF
07-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Well I'm only going from my experiences at the Benz dealership I work at.. and we never machine the cross drilled rotors on any cars that have them... be it AMG or the S-classes, whatever has them.
From what I've learned only replace cross drilled rotors.. never machine.. and I'm not saying this because we want to charge the customer more, they just cant be machined. u end up tearing out material when the cutter goes past a hole.
maybe u were using a special brake disc lathe?? They do it slow so the niddle won't brake, and also i have heard some shop use to do it by hand...

CKlasse
07-30-2003, 10:55 PM
maybe u were using a special brake disc lathe??

This is true - as far as for dealerships or larger shops at least. The larger is the shop/dealership, the less likely they are willing to take 'risk.'

Lately, I have heard this too often. I've seen a stealership replacing slightly warped discs of a 6 mo old cars. Shops which often are too busy to machine rotors simply stated that 'newer model cars' brake rotors aren't turnable. You must replace them as they go bad'

We must understand the 'liability' perspective of it. By replacing everything with new parts - the shop has no liabilities! Take in count that most of the low-quality xdrilled/slotted rotors are so poorly made that they crack easily. That's why I mention 'quality' on the previous post. I wouldn't touch non-brand name rotors for the risk of breaking it -- same goes with shops.

Think about how easy and cheap it is to rebuild a master cylinder. Yet, all shops would replace it with brand new ones. It makes more sense to them.

Nevertheless, it doesn't mean it cannot be done. Speaking from my very own experience, xdrilled rotors are turnable! :)