PDA

View Full Version : It's amazing

davis449
04-27-2006, 07:54 AM
You know it's funny of how many things you can think of that are wrong with your car when you take it to the dealer for just one or two things. I took mine in this morning for a headlight lens replacement (don't worry I was smart enough NOT to have the dealer order it for me) and a rough idle. Stupid thing idles like a trampoline. I wound up having them look at my steering and suspension for this annoying click sound when I turn the wheels lock to lock, setting my tire pressure, failure to start sometimes, wiper problems, and cool (not COLD) blowing A/C. I swear, I love this car, the facelifted w202 is such a thing of beauty to me, but it pisses me off beyond comprehension sometimes. There are just some things I shouldn't have to worry about before 100K miles like: transmission problems, control arm bushings, engine mounts, transmission mounts, A/C problems, etc. All of which have been done to this car before 75K miles and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Crazy stuff. But you know, at the same time, I'm kinda glad this has all happened cause it's all been done under warranty. Thank God for that.:D

Uncle Jase
04-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Dude, this scares me, i have no warranty on the car and have not had any major issues with it @ 45K miles, but is this really what I have to look forward to?

cause judging by the size of my wallet, I will have to start looking for some good DIY Write-ups if these problems ever come up.

benzonline
04-27-2006, 09:45 AM
So far so good for me at 53k miles. But i have done preventative maintenance as much as I can so I guess I shouldnt worry as much.

davis449
04-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by benzonline
So far so good for me at 53k miles. But i have done preventative maintenance as much as I can so I guess I shouldnt worry as much.

Don't be so sure. This car has been well maintained and dealer only (for the most part) serviced. I change the oil every 7500 miles. I would make sure that that tranny fluid is changed. But the rest of the stuff I described is stuff that you can do nothing about. It isn't maintenance stuff, it's just stuff that breaks.

dshenberger
04-27-2006, 10:01 AM
My 280 has 92,000 miles on it, and only one big issue has come along. The fuel level sensor went bad, and let me just say "that bill left me a little sore" :) $894!! Other than that I have had simple stuff like a steering shock, some bushing that my dealer replaced at no charge. I am doing a lot more myself though. Valve cover gasket, brakes, and when it needs it I will be doing my own suspension. Love the car so much that a few odds and ends don't bother me too much.

benzonline
04-27-2006, 10:10 AM
That is true. How do I know that engine mounts are gone anyways?

davis449
04-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by benzonline
That is true. How do I know that engine mounts are gone anyways?

I have a suspicion that the bouncy idle may have something to do with the engine mounts. As I recall, I think they only did two of them and it was because they noticed that they were collapsing a bit so they just replaced them as was the case with the transmission mounts. I'll let you know what their verdict is on the bouncy idle issue is when they call me. I've heard also that if they get bad enough (the engine and tranny mounts) it will cause a vibration throughout the car while driving.

Hotbasco
05-03-2006, 05:19 PM
The way I know that the mounts are going is feeling the engine idel through the sterrinng wheel. It has been this way in both our C and E class. At idle, stopped, you can feel a great deal of engine virbation in the steering wheel. I'm sure there are other ways to determine this... others?

Denlasoul
05-03-2006, 05:28 PM
You can take a peak under the car and tell. That's how my mechanic informed me (and he's a friend).

Also, like Hotbasco said you will feel vibration. Rough idling is a symptom as well.

jnolte
05-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
You can take a peak under the car and tell. That's how my mechanic informed me (and he's a friend).

Also, like Hotbasco said you will feel vibration. Rough idling is a symptom as well.

ugh, ive got the same problem DLS, my tranny mounts are shot too.