PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel

ryhi
04-27-2006, 11:47 AM
the outer ring of my steering wheel has been starting to crack. i dont want it to look ghetto and put a steering wheel cover over it, i was maybe thinking of a little upgrade? they do just sell the outer ring of the steering wheel right? im not trying to spend a lot of money, just something that will get rid of the annoying cracked leather. reccomendations?

Uncle Jase
04-27-2006, 12:32 PM
I had the same issue with my steering wheel, and I put a cover from wheel skins, its only slightly ghetto, you can get it with two tone colors ans perf to match the interior. and you sew it on yourself, the fitment is real tight and you can barely notice its there.

as far as just the outer ring, never seen that only for sale, you might have to just get a whole new steering wheel

Denlasoul
04-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I would say get them wrapped again. I think there was a link on one of the MB forums...cannot remember which one though.

1995c280
04-27-2006, 01:11 PM
buying a new wheel from the dealer...forget about it once you see the price! i agree with Uncle Jase, i bought a wheelskins steering wheel cover which is an extremely tight fit over the stock wheel and comes with like a 100 feet of strong/thick string to lace the cover. takes about 1/2 hour to to if you want it tight and perfect looking. i have a dark brown wheel and dash and the cover was matched perfectly. people that get in my car don't even recognize it until i say something and it was only like 40 bucks. can't beat that!!!!

Jason

tpliquid
04-27-2006, 04:01 PM
wat color? i can look in my stock

Luwin1026
04-27-2006, 04:18 PM
rhyi -

Contact Sander at TWS - they have an in-house guy that does upholstery and can rewrap it in the material/color of your choice. I had mine done on my 202 way back when at Apollo Upholstery in Alhambra (this was before TWS existed) to get the two-toned look with contrast stitching. If yours is wearing out, it's a nice excuse to go for this mod! ;)

trymonlam
04-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Luwin1026
rhyi -

Contact Sander at TWS - they have an in-house guy that does upholstery and can rewrap it in the material/color of your choice. I had mine done on my 202 way back when at Apollo Upholstery in Alhambra (this was before TWS existed) to get the two-toned look with contrast stitching. If yours is wearing out, it's a nice excuse to go for this mod! ;)
so how much would something like this usually cost? mine is already worn out into a close-to-smooth state.

ryhi
04-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by tpliquid
wat color? i can look in my stock

black

JDoggery
04-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Luwin1026
rhyi -

You have any pics?

jstrat85
04-27-2006, 08:20 PM
mine was bad to so I just replaced my steering wheel with the v2 thumb engraved sport steering wheel. It has burl wood and pin hole leather, looks crazy! i will post pics this week.

Luwin1026
04-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by JDoggery
You have any pics?

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDlAsYVFx0mIhZdT89*7RAcWsfBoGIFOjI9kKFxG8dpEhrHW pIxFmadoaV*yucTKyDqx4aG5LDypjnBKkWnJB8xiwJ1II9qbpl dlL9ON!M/BenzsportROTM1.jpg