PDA

View Full Version : Drastic shaking at start up

JOESID
04-28-2006, 07:35 AM
Recently my car (1999 C230k 86,000mi) has been shaking really badly at startup. Today it almost seemed like it was going to stall. It seems that this happens only during the first start of the day. It's just that this problem has been getting worse and I don't want to be stranded. I did the spark plugs and MAF within the last 3-4k miles. It might have started after I put in my most recent (current) tank of gas. Any suggestions? Could it be the fuel pump? I have had this car for about a year now and it has yet to actually stall on me.

Nitrogenbalance
04-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Same here bud, Mine is a C43. 53,000 miles 98'

I had my tech plug in the star diagnostic. It was pulling codes for MAF but he reset it and said to wait a little while to see if I have problems again.

He mentioned bad gas....I've filled the tank multiple times since with good gas. Scratch that I guess.

I'm replacing plugs and probably wires this weekend. Then maybe the MAF is next in line if it pulls more codes indicating so.

For the past couple months it happens maybe once a week or so. A couple times the engine shook the car so much that an open drink would have spilt everywhere at idle!!!

1995c280
04-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by JOESID
Recently my car (1999 C230k 86,000mi) has been shaking really badly at startup. Today it almost seemed like it was going to stall. It seems that this happens only during the first start of the day. It's just that this problem has been getting worse and I don't want to be stranded. I did the spark plugs and MAF within the last 3-4k miles. It might have started after I put in my most recent (current) tank of gas. Any suggestions? Could it be the fuel pump? I have had this car for about a year now and it has yet to actually stall on me.

check your ignition wires. you probably have a misfire from them!

have you bothered to change your air filter lately. not gonna be the fix to your problem but whenever you replace a MAF sensor, replace the air filter at the same time otherwise you run in a chance of messing up the new sensor. unless your running a K&N filter, ect. in that case...just shake out or vacuum all the dirt out!

Jason

JOESID
04-28-2006, 03:51 PM
I did change the air filter when I changed the MAF, and I am running a stock.

Maybe with these gas prices :rolleyes: Mobil watered it down?

Nitrogenbalance
04-29-2006, 05:20 AM
Mobil has no need to water down their gas as they have been turning excellent profits....surprise.

If anything we would be watering the gas down to make more. Have a gut feeling my issue is the MAF. I'll know this week.

Denlasoul
04-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by 1995c280
check your ignition wires. you probably have a misfire from them!
If you had misfires, you would be able to pull codes.

JOESID
04-29-2006, 09:37 AM
would my CEL be on? or no?

1995c280
04-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by JOESID
would my CEL be on? or no?

your check engine light would only go on for a misfire if the misfire was higher/greater than the specified range. you could still have a slight misfire with no check engine light!

Jason

JOESID
04-29-2006, 02:26 PM
I changed my fuel filter today and bought some of that Techron fuel injector/fuel system cleaner. Havent yet added it....ehhh

Vodka G
05-02-2006, 10:51 AM
check MAF
:p