PDA

View Full Version : Custom Carbon Fiber

JDoggery
04-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Hello,

I am looking for shops, local if possible, but in the Bay Area or even LA that can do custom cf applications. Some of this work will be for cf overlays, so it should not be that hard. If anyone has any contacts or has had work done please post here. Thank you.

714guy
04-28-2006, 06:29 PM
email me 714guy at sbcglobal.net. What is it that you want to do?

zzDragonzz
04-29-2006, 07:25 PM
is there a way to replace the old carbon fiber pillar things on the doors, mine are kinda old and hard to see that its CF...or just use some kinda polish?

trymonlam
04-29-2006, 07:27 PM
if yours are like mine, u should have noticed it by now that it's not real CF. just get some new ones on ebay. these stuff are cheap.

Proven Guilty
05-01-2006, 02:20 PM
i'm looking for some carbon fiber work myself.

items i'd like are:

-hood overlay (since the aftermarket hoods suck!)
-weather stripping on exterior of vehicle (black trim that goes up the a-pillar over the roof line, and down the c-pillar around the rear window etc)
-cluster for dash units (heating/stereo etc)

however, my center console isin't stock by any means, i've moved the pieces around to accomodate my latest "ice" project.

i'm more interested in the exterior pieces though :D

JDoggery
05-01-2006, 03:40 PM
I've been in contact with a few people and shops, but haven't gotten to far yet. As far as pricing I am being told that an overlay is more expensive than a real product. For example, overlay for oem hood around $600 vs. about 4-5 for a cf hood. I know this may not be the case with all shops, some will want to charge more just because its for a Mercedes, etc. Basically if you are able to find a shop in your area let me know. In the meantime I will keep searching.

trymonlam
05-01-2006, 05:00 PM
whoever that plans to make some CF c36 crossover pipe for members here said he's gonna make interior CF sets as well. so i will be looking forward to those.
well, i remember that one of the guys here that works on a show car 202 says that overlay is actually kinda cheap. keep searching. u probably can find much better price.

rollinrealbig
05-01-2006, 05:13 PM
just wondering ... since they sell CF material which will be resined together, then clear coated ... all of that cant be too hard right ?

or am I totally wrong ? its just that im a DIY person and prefer my own work, but not unless its just plain crap.

crazy00c230k
05-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
just wondering ... since they sell CF material which will be resined together, then clear coated ... all of that cant be too hard right ?

or am I totally wrong ? its just that im a DIY person and prefer my own work, but not unless its just plain crap.

its not that easy.....there is actually quite a bit of work involved, especially if ur going for looks, u have to put the parts in a vacuum bag to get all the air bubbles out of the resin, and they usually gel coat the c/f not just clear it, not to mention that c/f cloth is pretty expensive itself.

rollinrealbig
05-01-2006, 08:52 PM
yea thats why i asked - dont wanna go out and buy a grand worth of CF and use it for like a blanket or sumthing but that aint too smart is it ?

K_Sport Driver
05-02-2006, 08:44 AM
just my 2¢, but doesn't an overlay completely defeat the purpose of Carbon Fibre? it's a material used to replace panels with something equally as strong but much lighter. when you're just putting it on to existing parts, you're actually ADDING weight to try to LOOK like you've taken some off. Overlay is pretty ricey to me.

Proven Guilty
05-02-2006, 01:29 PM
rice or not, i like it just for the look. i'm not willing to sacrifice the quality of the hood itself to shave weight, and since i'll never track my car, i'm not concerned about weight at all.

i've got a special project going for the carbon fiber hood overlay, and you'll see why i wanted it for the look alone; as tempting as it is, i don't want to leak it yet since i just may turn my 99 c23k into a show ride.

;)

JDoggery
05-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
rice or not, i like it just for the look. i'm not willing to sacrifice the quality of the hood itself to shave weight, and since i'll never track my car, i'm not concerned about weight at all.

i've got a special project going for the carbon fiber hood overlay, and you'll see why i wanted it for the look alone; as tempting as it is, i don't want to leak it yet since i just may turn my 99 c23k into a show ride.

;)

let me know whats up because I am seriously interested. pm or e-mail me. also talking to fiber designs and carlabs. will let you guys know whats up.