PDA

View Full Version : C220 Won't Start or Turnover. Any Ideas??please help

trueog
04-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Hey guys, Last nite I went to the corner store, as soon as I returned to my car to start it, it strugglled to turnover and the rpm needles were flying back and forth. After a few seconds of struggle, the turnover stopped and the car went silent. Repeat attempts to re-start the car were met with silence, no turnover noise or anything. I can hear the feul pump starting up when I put it into ignition, however there's no turnover or anything.

Anyone know what's wrong? I'm wondering if its the starter? Please help, thanks.

ezbrown
04-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Sounds like you have a very low (dead) battery.

trueog
04-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by ezbrown
Sounds like you have a very low (dead) battery.

Hey,

I don't think its the battery. Everything powers up perfectly fine, but when I turn to start it..silence, no clicking or anything. Just to be sure, I have already tried jumping the car and have had no success. Also the battery is only a couple of years old. So i've already ruled the battery out.

Anyone know of any relays or anything I should check for? I can hear the fuel pump, and that relay is one of the relays i've checked and the fuse is fine in it also. Please help.

THanks

jnenad16
04-30-2006, 10:15 PM
it can be a number of things. try putting the shifter in neutral, and see if it helps.

nenad

ezbrown
05-01-2006, 02:07 AM
The next thing that I would check is to make sure that the battery terminals are clean and tight. Corrosion on the terminal can cause that problem . A little baking soda or coke (cola) on the post and terminals and a wire brush will clean them. It would be worth a try.

ezbrown
05-01-2006, 07:45 AM
I just thoght of something else - I had a '94 C220 with an aftermarket alarm that had keyless entry and from time to time the engine would fail to crank. What I would have to do is get out of the car and using the key first lock and then unlock the drivers door. Then the engine would start back up. Give that a try.

trueog
05-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by jnenad16
it can be a number of things. try putting the shifter in neutral, and see if it helps.

nenad

I've tried that also, I've tried starting it in neutral and by moving the shifter up and down and still no luck.

ezbrown: I've checked the battery also, it's clean and I checked to see if the connection is tight, and also tried jumping it again by connecting the wires to the connectors on the car...no luck.

trueog
05-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by ezbrown
I just thoght of something else - I had a '94 C220 with an aftermarket alarm that had keyless entry and from time to time the engine would fail to crank. What I would have to do is get out of the car and using the key first lock and then unlock the drivers door. Then the engine would start back up. Give that a try.

Thanks for the reply. My car has only the factory engine kill... and sometimes like you mentioned when it acts up, I have to get outside the car, unlock and lock and it works again. Strangly the problem I'm having it just like it, but the engine kills not the prob.

stox
05-01-2006, 08:37 PM
It is that time of year. Your battery may have failed with an internal short. Try jumping it with the battery disconnected. If that works, go get a new battery, pronto!

jnenad16
05-01-2006, 08:39 PM
could be a bad starter then. however, Id check the voltage supply to it first, both the thick wire thats always hot, and the thin,trigger wire when cracking.

nenad

trueog
05-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by jnenad16
could be a bad starter then. however, Id check the voltage supply to it first, both the thick wire thats always hot, and the thin,trigger wire when cracking.

nenad

I just called Richmond Mercedes, and they told me the starter is $650 and would take 10 days to order from germany once I ordered it from them. Lady told me it was a brand new starter.

North Vancouver Mercedes quoted me $550 dollars for a rebuilt starter and it would take 4 days to arrive from Toronto.

Now the question I have is why 2 dealerships close by are selling different starters? and is the rebuilt one just as good as the brand new one? Also where is the starter on my car? can't find it.

Thanks

jnenad16
05-02-2006, 11:27 AM
its should be on the driver's side , down between the block and the transmission bell housing.

nenad

yonjun
05-22-2006, 04:42 PM
what's the story now?

I have exact same thing happened to my car. I parked the car, went to my class. came back. couldn't start. no crank what so ever. Tried to boost but no go.
car is sitting on the street for 3 days now. will have to tow tomorrow.

My battery is good. measured with volt meter and it gave 12.9~13 V.

if it's starter, it won't be pretty. ($$$ to fix).
I hope it's not.

let me know if your problem is resolved.

YJ