PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer not working-- Help!

stargazer474
05-01-2006, 07:50 AM
Hi all ,

I need help again,,

I have a 1994 C280 and my Speedometer and tackometer started messing up they either want to work intermediately or not at all.

this has been going on now for about 3 weeks at first the speedometer would like pause and then when u got to about 30mph it would jump up and start reading your speed

but now it is not working at all so i have no idea how fast i am going and with me in my C280 that can be a dangerious thing ...

Any IDeas as to what could be causeing this problem???

Stargazer

whitec230k
05-01-2006, 11:15 AM
I have a similar problem like this but not this extreme, can anyone help us out?
Thanks.

jnenad16
05-01-2006, 11:25 AM
if both speedo and odo are going out at the same time, its most likely the speed sensor on the differential.

nenad

1995c280
05-01-2006, 01:24 PM
this has happened many times on the 94 and 95 202's. the needles rest on little pegs in the speedo. over time they acquire a "gummy" substance and the needles stick when first driving and after a while they start to work. pull your speedo out and carefully take off the glass front. then pour some alcohol on a cloth and wipe each of the four pegs. you will see a black gummy/sticky substance if you use a white cloth. after you clean it apply some silicone on the pegs. then re-assemble and put back into your car. hopefully you should be good then!

this fixed my problem. sometimes i would drive almost over a 1/2 hour before any of them would work. thank god i knew about it otherwise i would have probably bought a new speedo cluster...

Jason

jmerritt
05-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I have a similar problem only mine is with my fuel and temp gage on my 94 c220.
When I hit the dash above the cluster they pop up, would this be the sticky stuff our do you think it would be something behind the cluster not working??
It only happens every now and then as in everything works 95% of the time.

1995c280
05-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by jmerritt
I have a similar problem only mine is with my fuel and temp gage on my 94 c220.
When I hit the dash above the cluster they pop up, would this be the sticky stuff our do you think it would be something behind the cluster not working??
It only happens every now and then as in everything works 95% of the time.

i used to have to hit my dash on top also to make them pop up especially in cold weather and in the mornings. if you said it was only your fuel i would say your fuel sendors were bad but since your temp gauge does this also, more than likely your problem is the pegs are sticky!

Jason

zzDragonzz
05-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I would just take out the tach and follow the lines behind it and see if they are messed up in any way...On my japanese car I remember the end of the line for the speedo was loose when it plugged into the tranny and found that out by following the line...not too sure how benz has their setup however, I would just diagnose it to see if it's either an electrical problem or something preventing it from moving like other memebers here have stated.

1995c280
05-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by zzDragonzz
I would just take out the tach and follow the lines behind it and see if they are messed up in any way...On my japanese car I remember the end of the line for the speedo was loose when it plugged into the tranny and found that out by following the line...not too sure how benz has their setup however, I would just diagnose it to see if it's either an electrical problem or something preventing it from moving like other memebers here have stated.

this sticky stuff on the pegs was a BIG problem on the 94 and 95 202's. many dealers don't even know that this fixes the problem and they always just sold the customers a new cluster which would obviously fix the problem also but at a much higher price! i'm willing to bet this will fix his problem------

also with the style of connectors that benz uses for the speedo connection, i would find it hard for the wires to come loose unless someone has been messing around back there, LOL!

Jason

Vodka G
05-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by 1995c280
i used to have to hit my dash on top also to make them pop up especially in cold weather and in the mornings. if you said it was only your fuel i would say your fuel sendors were bad but since your temp gauge does this also, more than likely your problem is the pegs are sticky!

Jason

i had this same issue with my w202....i just smack the damn thing a few times and it'll work....actually i find that usually happens when i fill my tank up all the way......

jmerritt
05-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know of a link that shows/tells you how to pull the cluster out of the car??

martattack
05-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Does anyone know of a link that shows/tells you how to pull the cluster out of the car??

According to some people you don't need to remove the steering wheel, but I had to otherwise my dash would get scratched up. Therefore in my write-up, I put up instructions to do that.

http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/instrument.html

1995c280
05-03-2006, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by BoominBenz
According to some people you don't need to remove the steering wheel, but I had to otherwise my dash would get scratched up. Therefore in my write-up, I put up instructions to do that.

http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/instrument.html

GOOD ADVICE, it will definately make a few marks if you dont remove the steering wheel. you can just pull back the cluster to change a bulb with no problem but to take it out of the car to pull the lens off. you should take the steering wheel off for sure. it will come out w/o removing steering wheel but will make a mark on the dash and the top of the wheel.

Jason

Vodka G
05-03-2006, 06:40 AM
is a bit easier if you have telescope steering wheel..i use two sucksion cups on the cluster and pull staright out....unplug the connections on the back and slide it out from the side

martattack
05-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Vodka G
is a bit easier if you have telescope steering wheel..i use two sucksion cups on the cluster and pull staright out....unplug the connections on the back and slide it out from the side

Yeah, with a Telescoping wheel you don't need to remove it. Just pull it all the way out.

stargazer474
05-03-2006, 09:47 AM
what exactly is a "telescoping wheel" ,, sorry but i havent heard that term before.

also it seems that when its cooler outside the speedo and tacko will work because they worked fine this morning when takein the kids to there bus-stop , so that sticky stuff might be the problem , im thinking when it heats up outside the sticky stuff get stickier ,, if that makes any sence lol

but i am still going to have to take the cluster out anyways because i have to replace the light bulb that lights up the speedometer it has been blown sence i bought the car and is a pain in the butt to try and look at when its night time ,,

Star

whitec230k
05-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by stargazer474
what exactly is a "telescoping wheel" ,, sorry but i havent heard that term before.

telescoping wheel is that you can move it up or down

jmerritt
05-03-2006, 06:52 PM
hmmm looks like it might be a bit more work for me, my steering wheel doesnt move at all (unless there is a secret batman button hidden some where) Thanks for you like boss :)
BTW, has anyone ever had a bad experiance with an airbag?

slam96c36
05-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey I just ordered one thru European Auto or you can call them at 800-443-6886, ask for Scott or Russ...both guy are hella nice and they hook me up a new cluster for $400 even...including shipping...

You guy think that is a good deal or not?

1995c280
05-05-2006, 10:38 PM
hmmm looks like it might be a bit more work for me, my steering wheel doesnt move at all (unless there is a secret batman button hidden some where) Thanks for you like boss :)
BTW, has anyone ever had a bad experiance with an airbag?

just make sure the key is out of the ignition and your all set to go!

jason

martattack
05-06-2006, 09:14 AM
I've taken my airbag off 5+ times and never had a problem with it. I usually disconnect my battery and take the key out of the ignition.

It's pretty safe because the connection has a shorting shunt so in case voltage gets to it, it grounds the firing squib.