PDA

View Full Version : power antenna stays up

C280Rookie
05-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Hello guys

It's been a while since my last visit.
Once again, I am in need of your expertise and guidance.
My power antenna is stuck and won't retract. I would like some advice as to what is the quickest fix before I replace the mast.
Has anyone ever cleaned and lubed the antenna? If so, what lube is good. I've heard that wd40 is crap. True?
Now, if cleaning and lube doesn't work, then I will replace the mast. But I am leaning towards replacing the mast with the SLK antenna or similar. Has anyone done this? I can't find pics to see what this mod would look like.
Inputs are greatly appreciated once more.

:)

rollinrealbig
05-02-2006, 03:35 PM
I have/had the same problem.

mine was stuck like that for a few days, then started working agian so thats it.

ive posted the same exact thread like 2 months ago. lol

1995c280
05-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by C280Rookie
Hello guys

It's been a while since my last visit.
Once again, I am in need of your expertise and guidance.
My power antenna is stuck and won't retract. I would like some advice as to what is the quickest fix before I replace the mast.
Has anyone ever cleaned and lubed the antenna? If so, what lube is good. I've heard that wd40 is crap. True?
Now, if cleaning and lube doesn't work, then I will replace the mast. But I am leaning towards replacing the mast with the SLK antenna or similar. Has anyone done this? I can't find pics to see what this mod would look like.
Inputs are greatly appreciated once more.

try tapping the mast lightly to see if it's stuck and it that helps it going down. also when you turn the key off, do you hear the antenna motor working? (kinda hard to hear sometimes so open the trunk and stick your head inside to hear it)

Jason

jnenad16
05-02-2006, 11:58 PM
I concur with Jason. however, the motor is strong enough to retract at least a portion of the mast. if thats not the case, you are looking at two possible problems, either the motor is not running(fuse/ground or bad motor) or if its running, the toothed part of the mast is either worn or broken.

nenad

1995c280
05-03-2006, 02:49 AM
that's exactly what i was thinking nenad!

Jason

C280Rookie
05-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks guys.
Jason & Nenad, thanks for the tip. I tried tapping the top part last night, but it didn't move at all. I lightly pushed the top part, and it went inside, but when i turned the radio on, it didn't extend so I pulled it lightly once again.
Nenad, if this is just a fuse, where is the fuse box? Sorry, just trying to cut time and look around the car for the fuse box. Is it usually in the engine bay somewhere?
Rollin, I did a search and couldn't find your thread. How is it now? Antenna working okay?
Guys, I failed to mention, but I have an aftermarket stereo, could this affect anything as well?
:rolleyes:

jnenad16
05-03-2006, 11:02 AM
if the antenna is working, then the fuses are ok, from the description, it sounds to me like the mast sticking, try lubricating the telescopics with lithium grease, and turn the radio on and off a few times, so the telescopics can fully lubricate. if this doesnt help, Id suggest removing the mast and inspecting the teeth. to remove the mast, unscrew the retaining nut, its like 10mm or something, and have someone turn on the radio while you hold the mast and just let it extend to the max and it will fall out of the seat, then just pull it out and there you go.

nenad

1995c280
05-03-2006, 01:28 PM
i think your problem is the mast also not your aftermarket stereo or the antenna. (13mm wrench) to loosen the nut!

its like 125 dollars from the dealer. i bought one off ebay 2 years ago for like 20 dollars shipped and its been fine ever since. the quality is actually pretty good!

Jason

C280Rookie
05-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Jason and Nenad, thanks.
I will try to clean & lube the mast. Nenad, will those cycling lubes work? I am not sure where I can get that grease you mentioned.
Should I need a new mast, maybe I should just replace it with the SLK one. It's non-retractable, which I think is kinda neat.
What do you guys think?
I searched for pics about this SLK-antenna mod but can't find one.

1995c280
05-03-2006, 01:52 PM
white lithium grease can be found at any local parts store. you can buy it in a aerasol can also! just a few bucks...

Jaso

Vodka G
05-04-2006, 06:36 AM
sounds like the antenna motor is running fine....

so is probably a bad antenna mask....

which you cna get for around $50 online and DIY.....takes about 30 mins.....and pretty simple

it only took me 10 mins when i did it the second time

C280Rookie
05-04-2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by 1995c280
white lithium grease can be found at any local parts store. you can buy it in a aerasol can also! just a few bucks...

Jaso

Thanks Jason.

jnenad16
05-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Vodka G
sounds like the antenna motor is running fine....

so is probably a bad antenna mask....

which you cna get for around $50 online and DIY.....takes about 30 mins.....and pretty simple

it only took me 10 mins when i did it the second time
you must have been hammered! I takes me 3-5 min at most. :D

nenad

C280Rookie
05-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Okay, I cleaned and wiped the mast with wd40. Antenna still won't retract Tonight, I will use this lithium grease and see if it works.
Has someone replaced the mast with an SLK one? I saw one posting about this, but I can't find any pics showing me the result.
Incidentally, Nenad, Jason, and whoever can help, is the antenna for radio and phone, or just for phone?
Thanks again guys.

1995c280
05-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Okay, I cleaned and wiped the mast with wd40. Antenna still won't retract Tonight, I will use this lithium grease and see if it works.
Has someone replaced the mast with an SLK one? I saw one posting about this, but I can't find any pics showing me the result.
Incidentally, Nenad, Jason, and whoever can help, is the antenna for radio and phone, or just for phone?
Thanks again guys.

to me is sounds like you definately have a bad antenna mast. check the fuse first though. if the fuse is good. then remove the antenna mast with the 13mm nut outside the car. then pull out the left side carpet well inside the trunk and you will see the antenna motor assembly. i think there are like 3 or 4 10mm nuts that hold it in place. remove them all, then unplug the connector. then there are a few screws that hold the cover on the motor assembly. remove the cover and this is where you should apply the white lithium grease. when you put the new mast in you can apply more grease to the teeth of the mast before putting it in for preventive maintaince!

the antenna is for the radio and the phone (if factory installed phone, not aftermarket). there is a splitter that is clipped to the antenna motor assembly!

haven't seen pics of the slk antenna on a 202 yet but i heard it's been done many times. personally i like the look on the updated 202's with the roof mount antenna if you really wanna do a conversion...

Jason

C280Rookie
05-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks Jason,
Nothing is happening, but I hear the motor when I turn the radio on/off. Could this still be a bad fuse?
Well the roof antenna is probably better looking, but also more difficult. :(
I am just trying to do a simple conversion.
The SLK fixed rubber antenna I think is the easiest (I hope!) conversion outside of replacing the mast.

1995c280
05-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks Jason,
Nothing is happening, but I hear the motor when I turn the radio on/off. Could this still be a bad fuse?
Well the roof antenna is probably better looking, but also more difficult. :(
I am just trying to do a simple conversion.
The SLK fixed rubber antenna I think is the easiest (I hope!) conversion outside of replacing the mast.

if you hear the motor then the fuse is good so i would go ahead an replace the mast. when you take the cover off the antenna motor assembly you will see all the broken "teeth" off the old mast. clean all the debree wit a rag and then apply the grease.

Jason