View Full Version : Lowering questions

kjf1234
05-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey Guys have a question,

I have a 2000 C230K and wanted to lower the thing i am running 18s AMGs and wanted to know what are some good springs to buy that will drop it enough to be able to drive it in winter and comfortable .

Second question i have is do the stock shocks need to be replaced ? or can i use them with the aftermarket springs.

Is there anthing else that i would need to get other than springs as in bushings etc

Thanks

1995c280
05-03-2006, 02:23 PM
there are too many different options (brands) for suspension set-up. and everyone will give you their personal preference. do a search on here and you will find all the info you need. it has been discussed way too many times! probably the #1 topic on this board

Jason

ricerokets4life
05-03-2006, 02:32 PM
I would recommend replacing your stock shocks because changing the springs will place a lot of strain on them, thereby significantly shortening their lives.

I used to run H&R springs with Bilstein Sport shocks (yellow) and the ride was pretty rough in the back - so much so that I would lose traction when going over a large bump in the road. It was survivable in the front but all the passengers that rode in the back said they would never sit there again.

About winter driving - changing your suspension to something stiffer or "sportier" will do anything but help you in the winter. I rarely drove the car when it was snowing or icy but when I did, my suspension setup just made it that much harder to keep the car in a straight line.

Not sure about bushings, but I assume any suspension modifcation involving lowering the car will put added stress on the other suspension components (e.g. bushings, control arms).

Might want to do a search too!

Hotbasco
05-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Agree with above. Do a search first. Second, lowering AND the 18's will be mostly unmanageable in real snow. Here in the midwest, we cahnge to snow shoes on 17's. Traction control and ABS still get a workout.

With H&R and #1 spring pad, the 18's will rub in one small spot (size of quarter) inside of front wheel wells; but only under load. I find this while reversing.