PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger clutch replacement

aaronrryan
05-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi all,

I have a '99 C230K with about 97k miles on it. I am starting to hear the Super Charger clutch clatter when I am decellerating. I'm not sure if it is something that I should replace immediately or if I can wait till it gets worse.

I cant seem to find any replacement parts for the supercharger on any auto parts websites, and I'm sure the dealer will want to rape me for something that seems I could do myself for about $100.

Does anyone know if you can replace just the S/C clutch, and what one would cost?

Is this something you can only get at the dealer?

Thanks,

-Aaron

SLAMMED_C
05-08-2006, 04:35 PM
FIX IT!!...
this is what happened to me.... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2285073/1
the dealer has the clutch.. it is not cheap.. but its probably the only place your going to find it.

coolin
05-08-2006, 05:37 PM
That's terrible.

Thanks for spreading the word on s/c preventative maintenance.

aaronrryan
05-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Nice pictures...Thats documented very well. It sucks it blew up on you. I'll get it changed out asap.

alphanumeric
05-09-2006, 12:27 PM
okay wait.. that clutter noise is the clutch? it has crossed my mind before..but I always thought it was the bypass valve venting off!!!

also.... when I start my cold engine and put it in drive right away but dont accelerate I hear a weird clatter noise...

thinkin about all this shit.. makes me wish I had a C280 sport.. because the M111 engine sounds like ass! I feel embarrased stepping on the gas on a hot summer day when everyone has their windows down..

benzonline
05-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Ya I always called the Kompressor engine "the traktor" even before I got mine lol.

alphanumeric
05-09-2006, 02:10 PM
if your stock clutch goes out.. why not just put the money into a new pully w\o clutch & at the same time increase boost ? or have one made at a machine shop?

another question.. how come it has a clutch? and WHY!!!!! is it because the engineer was watching MAD MAX while designing our engines :D

benzonline
05-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Is this clatter a loud noise? I hear a slight "grrrr" noise when accelerating or bumping the gas around 1500 rpm when slowly cruising for example.

It would make a 2 second "grrr" noise but not very loud at all..radio has to be off to hear it.