PDA

View Full Version : inconsistant Power Steering noise

aaronrryan
05-08-2006, 04:59 PM
I bought my 99 c230k with 57k miles on it, and the power steering would rarely make the whining sound that I associate with low p/s fluid. However, The p/s fluid level has always been maintained and it does NOT appear to be leaking at all.

It now has 97k miles and the whining is happening more often. Though it is almost impossible to make the sound when the car is parked, and turning the wheel back and forth.

It seems to only happen when I am moving and in a turn, inparticular when I am excellerating in a sharp turn, though not ever time.

Has anyone experienced this? and would replacing the p/s pump fix this?

I saw some references to power steering dampeners and filters in other threads...could that fix my problem?

Thanks,

-Aaron

kowalski
05-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by aaronrryan
I bought my 99 c230k with 57k miles on it, and the power steering would rarely make the whining sound that I associate with low p/s fluid. However, The p/s fluid level has always been maintained and it does NOT appear to be leaking at all.

It now has 97k miles and the whining is happening more often. Though it is almost impossible to make the sound when the car is parked, and turning the wheel back and forth.

It seems to only happen when I am moving and in a turn, inparticular when I am excellerating in a sharp turn, though not ever time.

Has anyone experienced this? and would replacing the p/s pump fix this?

I saw some references to power steering dampeners and filters in other threads...could that fix my problem?

Thanks,

-Aaron

what's up bob!!!!!! hey man it seems to be normal, this whining sound, my car is a c43 amg.when i start the car in the morning it does not have the work temp. yet the power steering whines like a bitch when i drive my car out from my garage when i turn the wheels to the right and moving backwards:beard:

SLAMMED_C
05-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Does your pump whine even when your car is just idling?
I know the power steering will be noisey when turning the steering wheel to full lock.. but it should be whining the entire time.
maybe you have a pump thats worn?

aaronrryan
05-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Nope...it only whines when is a SHARP turn, but not so sharp that It is at the max turn limit.

Actually it doesnt whine when I have it at the max turn limit at all...which is kinda strange.

-Aaron

OCKlasse
07-29-2008, 11:48 AM
bump. I am having this exact same problem.

aaronrryan
08-31-2008, 09:31 PM
My supercharged bearings failed, and I eventually replaced the supercharger along with a new fan belt, and the steering noise went away. So it seems the steering pump may have been fine all along, and the fan belt or failing supercharger was stressing, or somehow messing with the steering.

-Aaron

OCKlasse
08-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by aaronrryan
My supercharged bearings failed, and I eventually replaced the supercharger along with a new fan belt, and the steering noise went away. So it seems the steering pump may have been fine all along, and the fan belt or failing supercharger was stressing, or somehow messing with the steering.

-Aaron

hmmm...I'm NA :confused: