PDA

View Full Version : Correct tires size

Espresso
05-09-2006, 09:18 PM
The car now has 255/40ZR17's in the rear with 245/40ZR17's up front. Mounted on 17" monoblocks.
The Tires are Bridgestone Potenza GIII's.

The tires on the rear are just about gone & the front ones are rubbing on the suspension on hard turns(which here we make ALOT of). Not to mention it feels like crap on the road.
I want to stick with the recommended 225/45ZR17's & 245/40ZR17's to avoid the speedo troubles. Plus I heard it screws with the ASR(traction control) & ABS.
I have no troubles with the rear tires besides the obvious speedo problems(they do look killer under the car). But keeping those & switching to a smaller size in the front will kill the steering & handling.
While I can get tires from the states shipped here. The cost & time are not on my side. About my only options at this point are(for a matched 4 tire set).
1. Pirelli Dragon's at $180 & 210 ea(ft & rear)
2. Sumitomo HTR ZII( 200) at $150 & 179 ea.

That is IT.

Is there some other combo/aspect ratio I can go with that will fit properly & not effect the speedo & such(this will open my options greatly)?
I need to keep this as cheap as possible, but do not want to sacrifice safety & drivability.
I know, I know ...cheap. BUT, I am in the process of getting a house built & $300-400 can mean the difference in that whirlpool tub or a standard ol' POS fiberglass one. Or better AC unit, ect..
Ya get the picture :)

Thank you for any advice.

jnolte
05-09-2006, 09:35 PM
you can run the 255 in the back and just run a 225 in the front, it wont rub

I run a 225 front and a 265 rear with 19 inch wheels, its fine , cruise control works and speedo is near perfect