PDA

View Full Version : Painting door handles - opinions appreciated

e harmon
05-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Hi all,

A body shop with good credentials says they can paint the door handles on my W202 with good quality and durability. I'm thinking about it, and would appreciate your opinion: glossy black, body color, or some other suggestion? Here is my car:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/942485/L-front3-4-2R2.jpg

Thanks and regards,

e harmon

NEA-4311
05-13-2006, 09:56 AM
I say same as the incredible color of your great car, bare in mind though that paint sticks less on plastics seen by the sun for some years. I dont think you re gonna have a big problem, after all its not the bumpers you want to paint. Good luck dude.:)

BBW
05-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Paint them body colour, I did on mine & they look great IMO

!!!!!NJ Drive
05-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by BBW
Paint them body colour, I did on mine & they look great IMO :werd: ....get chrome door handle covers & have them painted, the paint is most likely to stay on the metal then the plastic....they have them at formymercedes.com

just an idea, dont know which would be cheaper or better for you

rollinrealbig
05-13-2006, 12:42 PM
love the color!

id paint them the same color as your car and also see if you can get the grill frame painted the same color too - the chrome looks kinna tacky to me .

Proven Guilty
05-13-2006, 03:14 PM
very sharp. i agree, i'd paint them body color.
is that a '00 c43 in bordeaux?

jnolte
05-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty

sure is

e harmon
05-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty

Thanks for the input and compliments all. The car is a '99 C43 in Bordeuax sitting on Eibach Prokit/Koni yellows, carbon grille and Bosche corners from Bekkers. Can't resist a plug for them here: very good service.

Originally I was thinking that painting them black would keep the authentic '90s MB look. After reading everyone's comments and looking at NJ's and other pictures, body color does seem the way to go.

I considered the chrome covers from formymercedes.com (great service from Jerry as well), but I'm concerned that they don't have apertures for the IR receiver lenses on both front handles. They appear to have the round keyhole opening, but not the small squares for the lenses.

I'll confirm with the body shop that the paint will in fact be durable.

Thanks again all.

e harmon

Denlasoul
05-13-2006, 05:51 PM
You can order the painted ones from the factory, though I hear they only come in silver and black. :( You can paint them Bordeaux and be certain the paint will stay and not flake.

!!!!!NJ Drive
05-14-2006, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
You can order the painted ones from the factory, though I hear they only come in silver and black. :( You can paint them Bordeaux and be certain the paint will stay and not flake. thats what i was thinking about, ordering the front handles & then doing the covers for the back & have then all painted...that way i dont have to be without my car

BBW
05-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by !!!!!NJ Drive
:werd: ....get chrome door handle covers & have them painted, the paint is most likely to stay on the metal then the plastic....they have them at formymercedes.com

just an idea, dont know which would be cheaper or better for you

:rolleyes: If you take your time & sand down the plastic, treat it etc it will last the life of the car

!!!!!NJ Drive
05-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by BBW
:rolleyes: If you take your time & sand down the plastic, treat it etc it will last the life of the car doubt that the nearest auto store would have that OEM bordeaux red in stock :confused:...so hopefully he can find a professional who is willing to do so

e harmon
05-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by !!!!!NJ Drive
doubt that the nearest auto store would have that OEM bordeaux red in stock :confused:...so hopefully he can find a professional who is willing to do so

The body shop that offered this service was referred to me by a very credible mechanic. He took a close look at the handles, explained that he would sand them and use a special primer to ensure a good application. If I decide to pursue this--and it looks like I will--I'm confident that he'll stand behind his work. Still, I plan to ask what kind of durability to expect.

On a related subject, I am surprised how well the silver paint has been holding up on the (previously black) lower panels of the '97 E320 we have in the family. Needless to say, these take a beating in the course of regular driving. If the handles turn out anything like that, I wouldn't expect any problems. I'll let you all know.

Regards,

e harmon

tpliquid
05-14-2006, 10:48 PM
u shold buy the ones off a CLK....

05-14-2006, 10:56 PM
I'd say go with body color!

If you need please here you'll find some info about removing door handles.

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14523

I've done it but since my car is black, the difference is not so visible.

Marco

maxboxa
05-25-2006, 12:52 PM
not sure if he can still get em, but mbenznl used to have these a few years back. factory painted handles that didn't take long to install. and although it's a subtle difference, it looks so much better than black.

Denlasoul
05-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Nevermind. I forgot this was not Gallery.

rollinrealbig
07-17-2006, 11:47 AM
gotta quick question - will the chrome door handle covers off an ML 98'+ work on w202 door handles ?

Nitrogenbalance
07-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by tpliquid
u shold buy the ones off a CLK....

More info please. Updated look or something?? Cross fitment between these models??

Polestar
07-22-2006, 08:04 AM
What I have to say has already been said, but I like your car so much, I'm gonna say it anyway.
Paint handles body color. I agree with your body shop- if the handles are sanded and then primed with a plastic primer, you'll get great life out of the paint-no worries.
You must have one of only a handful of C43's in Borduex Red in the States?

BTW, I thought C43's came with painted door handles? Guess not. Maybe that was in 2000?

1badamg
08-20-2006, 01:59 AM
I'd say dont do it. You need certain colors to offset others, and painting the door handles same color might look weird

OCKlasse
08-20-2006, 09:50 AM
I am currently wanting some painted door handles for my 98 C230 which I believe is code 702 (Smoke Silver Metallic) but I have been told that updated 210s did not come in this color. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Frenchy
08-25-2006, 01:58 AM
Hi,

Sorry for asking this question on this thread, but i think it can be posted here.

My W202 is an oct.97 ELEGANCE(744) model, and i would want to update the doorhandels for some painted ones.

I've found a set from a C36 1995, that has been painted in 744 silver.

So, here is my question : can this set be fitted on my 1997 W202 ?

I've found a second set from a E55 1999, that seem to be different from the C36 one, i mean, the inside bracket/mechanism. The E55 set need to be painted and has a chrom lip (as mine).

So please, can someone tell me which one can be fitted on my ride ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Frenchy.

08-25-2006, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Frenchy
Hi,

Sorry for asking this question on this thread, but i think it can be posted here.

My W202 is an oct.97 ELEGANCE(744) model, and i would want to update the doorhandels for some painted ones.

I've found a set from a C36 1995, that has been painted in 744 silver.

So, here is my question : can this set be fitted on my 1997 W202 ?

I've found a second set from a E55 1999, that seem to be different from the C36 one, i mean, the inside bracket/mechanism. The E55 set need to be painted and has a chrom lip (as mine).

So please, can someone tell me which one can be fitted on my ride ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Frenchy.

Hey Frenchy, I don't know about possible exchange between differents model years but have you consideret possibility to paint yours?
I've posted (previous page) a link to indication how to dismount the handles but you can paint them also if installed, you need a specific plastic primer and you body colors.

Several car painting shops are able to provide you correct spray color if you give them the factory paint code.

hi:)

Frenchy
08-25-2006, 02:41 AM
Hi 1998K ;)

Yep I know,

and i already have a spray(744 Brillant silber) and other clear coat or Plastic Primer, but since there are 2 sets for sale at the moment, it would be easier to paint this second set, and let it dry correctly.

I think i can fit the 2 sets, pre97 or facelifted, since many members fit some W210 or W208 doorhandels on their W202 ;)

Thanks anyway,

Regards,

Frenchy.

08-25-2006, 03:10 AM
Ok, I'm sure someother member will confirm you asap;)

You have a nice car:)

Marco

Frenchy
08-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks for comments ;)

Anybody to tell me if door handels (97+ or W210) are fittable ?

OCKlasse
08-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for comments ;)

Anybody to tell me if door handels (97+ or W210) are fittable ?

Frenchy:

They are fittable. However you will want to find some '00+ door handles from a 210 as that is when they started color-keying them.

Frenchy
08-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Ok,

Thanks OCKlasse ;)

And do you think door handels from a 1995 C36 can be fitted ?

I've found a set already painted in 744 silver from a 95 C36, and the inside mecanism seem to be different.

I think i'm gonna remove one of mind and compare with the pic from the C36 one.

Regards,

Frenchy.

OCKlasse
08-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Ok,

Thanks OCKlasse ;)

And do you think door handels from a 1995 C36 can be fitted ?

I've found a set already painted in 744 silver from a 95 C36, and the inside mecanism seem to be different.

I think i'm gonna remove one of mind and compare with the pic from the C36 one.

Regards,

Frenchy.

I don't know if your infrared matches up with a C36. On my car for instance which is a 98, I only have a keyhole on the driver side and infrared on both sides of the car...I don't know if this is the same for you or not.

Frenchy
08-28-2006, 12:37 PM
On my C250TD, i have a flip key with IR remote that command the opening/closing of the doors.

I don't have any IR sensors nor Red/green LEDS on my door handels, but have the plug and wireharness inside the door, so I presume that a door handle with LEDS can be fitted.

For instance, only the Interior Mirror has Red/green lights to indicate door's statut.

Regards,

Frenchy.

1SIKBNZ
08-28-2006, 01:16 PM
what kind of cost is typically involved in having the handles painted? also anyone have a pic of white ones on a white benz? thanks!

Frenchy
08-28-2006, 01:47 PM
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1990-1999/1999-Mercedes-Benz-CLK320-Convertible-White.jpg

OCKlasse
08-28-2006, 02:04 PM
On my C250TD, i have a flip key with IR remote that command the opening/closing of the doors.

I don't have any IR sensors nor Red/green LEDS on my door handels, but have the plug and wireharness inside the door, so I presume that a door handle with LEDS can be fitted.

For instance, only the Interior Mirror has Red/green lights to indicate door's statut.

Regards,

Frenchy.

Then you should be fine just buying some updated 210 handles

By the way my girlfriend is French...she is from La Baule in Bretagne :)

Frenchy
08-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Haha ! :D Good Choice Dude ! :D

So you should learn French easily and quickly ...:D

OCKlasse
08-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Haha ! :D Good Choice Dude ! :D

So you should learn French easily and quickly ...:D

je parle français... mal :o