PDA

View Full Version : Difference C180 C230K and C43 AMG

Don
05-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Hi Guys,

one little question, how easy can i upgrade a C180 to C230K or a C43 AMG?

What´s the exact differences? What have to be changed?

Is the rear Axis in all 202 the same? What about the differential?

To avoid missunderstandings, i know, that every part in the engine room have to be replaced, but my questions are more "after" the engine room....

rollinrealbig
05-13-2006, 04:24 PM
AMG has different Diff. (LSD) and bigger brakes, theres just so much to list They may look very similer and all but really the C180/230k/C43 are Very differnt ESPECIALLY when you are converting!

If you have a C43 around thats all for parts then you can do some conversion I guess, but other then that it would be less headache and less money to just get the real thing.

right now I have a C230 non-k, Im keeping my eyes open for a totalled SLK 230K w/manual Gearbox, but Ill be damn lucky if I really do find one of those.

e harmon
05-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Don
Hi Guys,

one little question, how easy can i upgrade a C180 to C230K or a C43 AMG?

What�s the exact differences? What have to be changed?

Is the rear Axis in all 202 the same? What about the differential?

To avoid missunderstandings, i know, that every part in the engine room have to be replaced, but my questions are more "after" the engine room....

With the prices of these cars being what they are, it probably makes more sense to change the entire car rather than transplanting. One might very well save money and probably avoid lots of headache that way. Converting a 4-cylinder W202 to a C43 would probably cost more than the value of the host car, and maybe more than a decent condition C43.

Besides the engine (which in this case would not simply drop right in because of different motor mount locations), I'd imagine the rest of the drivetrain is different. The transmission alone (which is from the V-12 600 series cars of that era) probably costs an arm and a leg. The suspension is different, as it supports more weight, especially over the front. The brakes are different, and those are not cheap either.

(In terms of the LSD, my AMG does not have that though I sure wish it did).

I don't know much about the 4-cyl engines so I'll let someone else comment on that.

Good luck with whatever you pursue,

e harmon

c55m8o
05-13-2006, 06:44 PM
It was incorrectly reported earlier in this thread... The C-class has the exact same rear differential housing, be it C180 or C43. Rear diff ratios will vary across the model ranges and years, but they're the same size ring & pinion. ...and there is -NO- LSD in them stock, even for C43 or C36.

As a matter of fact, the differential housing size is what prevents me from using the Quaife LSD. If the C43 didn't use the same differential as the C180, the situation would be different and I would be able to use the Quaife.

e harmon
05-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by c55m8o
It was incorrectly reported earlier in this thread... The C-class has the exact same rear differential housing, be it C180 or C43. Rear diff ratios will vary across the model ranges and years, but they're the same size ring & pinion. ...and there is -NO- LSD in them stock, even for C43 or C36.

As a matter of fact, the differential housing size is what prevents me from using the Quaife LSD. If the C43 didn't use the same differential as the C180, the situation would be different and I would be able to use the Quaife.

Does Kleemann make one that would work?

Regards,

e harmon

c55m8o
05-13-2006, 08:35 PM
yep, that's the only LSD I know of. I hear it works well. I'm not sure of its longevity.

Don
05-14-2006, 12:06 AM
Good morning, thanks for the replies!

Could you do me a favour, and tell me, what´s the meaning of LSD!?

The background is, that i´m planing to buy a crashed C230k or C43 and transplant it in my C180.

I know, that it would be cheaper to change the car, but i don´t won´t to change my car....

Even in Germany it´s a interesting to change the engine, cause when you buy a C43 you have to pay the insurances and taxes for a C43....

When you´ve got a C180 and transplant a C43 engine, you only have to pay C180 insurance and taxes....

But i think it would be more realistic for me to get a C230k engine in my car, so what´s the differenc between C180 and C230k?

!!!!!NJ Drive
05-14-2006, 04:39 AM
what you might save in insurance, you might pay 3 times that in mechanical service in the long run...not to mention the actual transplanting of 8cyl into a 4 is a very costly mod & probaly more than the value of the car...

a 230k might be just as costly and with the prices of 202k you might be better off just buying 1...

e harmon
05-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Don

Could you do me a favour, and tell me, what�s the meaning of LSD!?

LSD is Limited Slip Differential. Most cars come with an "open" differential. In a nutshell, changing to LSD enable the car to have superior traction at the driven wheels, where open differentials allow more wheelspin when power is applied. This might be fun if you're into that sort of thing, but it hurts performance either by engaging ESP, preventing the car from "hooking up," or both.

This is much more of an issue with engines that have high torque output at low RPM. It's probably not essential for the 4-cylinder engines.

Regards,

e harmon

rollinrealbig
05-14-2006, 11:17 AM
C43 = No stock LSD ???? WHAAA ? ?? ? sorry but I didnt kno that!!!

so then where am I gonna get a LSD ???
dont think you can ship those.