PDA

View Full Version : Window tint scratches- moleskin solution

Deepchord
07-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Ok, I have heard numerous people complain that the inside door seals on 202 are synomous to scratching the window tint. I can attest to this as my two fronts are just pure freakin painful to even look at anymore..

So what is the solution? Get new inside window seals? And what's this about "moleskin"? and where does one get it and what in the world do I do with it?

Any part #s or feedback on if this actually works. I am going to have to pay to have the tint redone again so hopefully the second time around is a charm. Has anyone COMPLETELY eliminated the evil scratching with moleskin??

MBATF
07-29-2003, 05:41 PM
1- Roll ur window down all the way

2- and look in-between the window and the door card(interior

panel), you should be able to see a black rubber peice(weather strip)

pushinging against teh inner window...

3- Pull that son of bioch weatehr strip out,

4- get ur razor out

5- slice across the top of the weatehr strip off by 20-40%

6-get ur window tint

7-put that weatehr strip back in after the tint is done.

8- the negtive of cutting the weatehr strip will increase the cabine noise.

How to remove teh weather strip???
steps:
1- remove the door pin

2- gentally pull loos the upper portion of teh interior panle(door \

card)

3-make sure the panel is lose enough

4- use ur fingers(if u have stronge hand) or else use plyer to pull

it out(easest.)

questions plz call me at 510-697-2777 at anytime 24/7 i normally don't sleep much

Deepchord
07-29-2003, 06:33 PM
dude thanks for the help man. I rarely pump my own gas(!) lol, if that itells you anything about my mechanic skills, so what you suggested is beyond me, so let the truth be known. I am gonna print your instructions out and take it to Pro Star when I get my oil changed and see if those cats will do it.

Whats the deal with the moleskin though?:eek:

CKlasse
07-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Go to PERFORMANCE WHEELS & TIRES on Oxford & Santa Fe. They do it very professionaly. I had 3 of my previous and current cars done there and had no problems with bubbles or scartches.

In fact, they did it the way MBATF describes it.

Deepchord
07-29-2003, 09:00 PM
yeah I know where they are at as I pass it on the way to work everyday. But ultimately a mod needs to happen or moleskin needs to be lined with the weather stripping. Plus the tint I use is something that only Denver Window Tint uses, it's rare, my ride is the only one I have seen use it. Except a few buildings in DTC.

Alps
07-29-2003, 10:20 PM
you could trim the rubber as previously said and stick a layer of felt on it, this keeps the seal but does not scratch, UK tint companies(good ones) use this method as they did on mine!

CKlasse
07-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Deepchord
yeah I know where they are at as I pass it on the way to work everyday. But ultimately a mod needs to happen or moleskin needs to be lined with the weather stripping. Plus the tint I use is something that only Denver Window Tint uses, it's rare, my ride is the only one I have seen use it. Except a few buildings in DTC.

You are missing out some details.. You must CUT the rubber piece to solve the issues, and most real professional tinters do this anyway.

If you are talking about the reflective bluish or yellowish tint, you are talking about 'rainbow' tint. They are easier to get scratches and doesnt last as long. I used to love them on silver cars. :)

Dr. ///AMG
08-12-2003, 02:01 AM
Well the couple-three times I rolled the driver window up and down, left scratches. It's ok, the film is messed up and peeling (not scratch related) and will have to be replaced.

Otherwise, I followed David's instructions (Called him up to confirm) and it seems to be good now :)

MBATF
08-12-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Dr. ///AMG
Well the couple-three times I rolled the driver window up and down, left scratches. It's ok, the film is messed up and peeling (not scratch related) and will have to be replaced.

Otherwise, I followed David's instructions (Called him up to confirm) and it seems to be good now :) Yeap, since my typing SUCKS!!!!!:D

davis449
08-19-2003, 04:27 PM
I went over to the Benz dealer today and talked to the service manager and he said to just cut the inside felt strip off with a razor blade and that will do the trick. No complicated moleskin or anything like that, just cut it and be on your way. He said that's what most of his employees have done with their Mercedes.