PDA

View Full Version : New Smoked Corners to match Taillights

MeanC43
05-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Just bought these, Great Quality corners.

BEFORE:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d36/MeanC43/Jordanspics087.jpg

AFTER:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d36/MeanC43/crap011.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d36/MeanC43/crap012.jpg

MeanC43
05-15-2006, 03:24 PM
This is the link if anyones interested SMOKED CORNERS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-W202-C-Class-94-00-SMOKED-Corner-Lights_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33708QQitemZ8066 402084QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

irieite
05-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Looks pretty sweet. I agree that they do look better with the factory smoked tails than the clear corners do.

BTW, the car looks lower in the second picture. Is that just because of the angle that you took the shot? Or, did you actually lower the car since that first shot. Looks cool.

MeanC43
05-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Yes, it is lower in the last 2 pictures. I didnt want to put Eibach or H&R springs on it because it would have been too low and I want to be able to put 5 people in the car without rubbing. So I Took it to my Mercedes mechanic and he recomended Cutting a 1/2 coil off the springs. Worked out AWESOME! it has the same exact ride that i like and it is 1 inch lower now.

iwhocorrupts
05-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Eibachs will rub with 5 passengers?

Kw202
05-15-2006, 04:31 PM
How much did it cost to have it cut? What are the disadvantages? Car looks awesome!

jnolte
05-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by MeanC43
Yes, it is lower in the last 2 pictures. I didnt want to put Eibach or H&R springs on it because it would have been too low and I want to be able to put 5 people in the car without rubbing. So I Took it to my Mercedes mechanic and he recomended Cutting a 1/2 coil off the springs. Worked out AWESOME! it has the same exact ride that i like and it is 1 inch lower now.

if i remember correctly, you said you have 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 with ET 35mm offset. Thats is perfect for lowering and you will not rub. I have the exact same setup, with a heavy system in the trunk, no rub. You should of just lowered it, dosent look diffrent to me.

corners looks, pretty good but lets see a pic from the front.

MeanC43
05-15-2006, 05:01 PM
It cost $200(total with labor) to have the springs cut. There are no disadvantages at all. Its EXACTLY the same as it was before. I wanted to keep the same ride quality, when put an Eibach Pro kit on my M3 with 19's it got a little too rough for my taste. As for having 8.5 in front and 9.5 rear with 35 offset, it will rub on my car. It even has the way it is right now on my car. I like the height its at right now.

Heres a pic of the front
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d36/MeanC43/crap010.jpg

iwhocorrupts
05-15-2006, 05:08 PM
I think you should loose one of the emblems, just my opinion though.

MeanC43
05-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Yea, thats next on my list. What do you guys think..... Keep the hood emblem and get an Advantgaurd grill, or Keep the grill and get THIS AMG FLAT EMBLEM (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-AMG-hood-flat-emblem-c320-e320-s430-e55-s55-cl_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33643QQitemZ80651147 80QQrdZ1) for the hood?
Let me know what you think, Thanks

jnolte
05-15-2006, 05:37 PM
i think the normal bosch clear corners look better fromthe front, i dont like the diffrent in contrast of the headlight/blinker.

And that setup will not rub, i have the exact same size even with 265 in the rear, its fine

!!!!!NJ Drive
05-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Yea, thats next on my list. What do you guys think..... Keep the hood emblem and get an Advantgaurd grill, or Keep the grill and get THIS AMG FLAT EMBLEM (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-AMG-hood-flat-emblem-c320-e320-s430-e55-s55-cl_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33643QQitemZ80651147 80QQrdZ1) for the hood?
Let me know what you think, Thanks buy the badge, get Advantgaurd grill & paint it black...not really feeling the grill with the big emblem

The LO C
05-15-2006, 06:10 PM
I've got those same ones...now you need a flat hood badge.

jstrat85
05-15-2006, 07:13 PM
If I was you I will get the new projector lights, but the smoked ones. And then put the smoked conners together with the smoked projectors. it will look sickkk! Also get rid of that grill! get an s600 grill and paint it all black!

Rusdi Harahap
05-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Let me know what you think, Thanks

Get an Advantgard grill and hood-flat-emblem. It will look cool

irieite
05-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Avantgaurd (s600) grille, smoked projectors and fog lights off of eBay. :D

MeanC43
05-16-2006, 04:17 PM
I have Auto-Leveling Xenons.... i dont want to change them out for some cheap ricy projectors

rollinrealbig
05-16-2006, 05:54 PM
I have smoked corners too,

heres my grill + new hoodstar setup.

working on other mods right now .

http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/fe/ce463df702f2de953039886ccf2236fe.th.jpg (http://server4.pictiger.com/img/304965/cars-and-motors/.php)

ryhi
05-16-2006, 08:21 PM
i agree with j, it shouldnt rub. even if so, have u heard of rolled fenders?

K_Sport Driver
05-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Car looks nice and clean, bud. I do, however, find it strange that a merc mech told you to cut springs. generally, that's worse than any other type of lowering. spring cutting is like a poor man's lowering kit. I see it on hondas driven by mexicans all the time.

also, i respect your attempt to create uniformity by getting both the smoked corners and tails, but I think the dark colour contrasts too much with a white car. I own a white 202 as well, but I'm probably going with DTM amber corners from ebay.de

I agree with the grill situation. it's kinda redundant, but that being said, it's your car, and you have the right to do whatever with it! play on, playa.

polar202
05-17-2006, 12:11 AM
In white it looks great!!
But i like the US- Look lights a bit more as the smoked one.
And this grill is not my favourite.
But everyboby has an other Style, and thats good!!:cool:

greetings,
Mike

illusionaryline
05-17-2006, 01:17 AM
hey, what rims are they? i love them

rman
05-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by K_Sport Driver
Car looks nice and clean, bud. I do, however, find it strange that a merc mech told you to cut springs. generally, that's worse than any other type of lowering. spring cutting is like a poor man's lowering kit. I see it on hondas driven by mexicans all the time.

that's a pretty racist/ignorant thing to say. I'm not mexican, but i still find it offensive.

Cutting springs is not bad at all. Everyone thinks it is because people cut springs on "hondas driven by mexicans"

Cutting a spring increases spring rate, making the spring stiffer. The bad ride comes when people chop off a bunch of coils, dropping the vehicle 2 or more inches, greatly increasing spring rate. Even then it's not so bad, but you have to remember to supplement the new ride height with a shock/strut that is the proper length (have to compensate for the lessened travel), and the proper valving for a lowered vehicle (and the vehicles weight).

I know TONS of people with AWESOME rides, stock srpings or lowering springs, whatever. All you have to do is knwo what you are doing, and get the proper length/valved shock/strut.

I also know from experience, having a hacked honda, and having a smooth/road hugging ford

K_Sport Driver
05-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by rman
that's a pretty racist/ignorant thing to say. I'm not mexican, but i still find it offensive.

Cutting springs is not bad at all. Everyone thinks it is because people cut springs on "hondas driven by mexicans"

Cutting a spring increases spring rate, making the spring stiffer. The bad ride comes when people chop off a bunch of coils, dropping the vehicle 2 or more inches, greatly increasing spring rate. Even then it's not so bad, but you have to remember to supplement the new ride height with a shock/strut that is the proper length (have to compensate for the lessened travel), and the proper valving for a lowered vehicle (and the vehicles weight).

I know TONS of people with AWESOME rides, stock srpings or lowering springs, whatever. All you have to do is knwo what you are doing, and get the proper length/valved shock/strut.

I also know from experience, having a hacked honda, and having a smooth/road hugging ford
you must be retarded. what I posted was a general observation, not a bashing of a certain race. note, I didn't say, "cut springs is for dirty mexicans who mow my lawn" (which they don't). read more carefully

and before you post, research more carefully. cutting springs does NOT, i repeat, NOT increase spring rate. you are simply riding on springs that have a shortened throw, making you more likely to bottom out, causing damage to the car and suspension, not to mention that stock struts are not meant to be used on lowered applications. spring rate is dependant upon the thickness and material of the spring itself, not on the number of coils. lowering springs have a thicker, more rigid metal to compensate for the lack of throw, sacrificing ride quality for handling and a lowered centre of gravity.

how about you try to inform yourself before trying to refute me? anyone who knows cars at all will back me up on this.

rman
05-17-2006, 06:35 PM
you must be retarded. what I posted was a general observation, not a bashing of a certain race. note, I didn't say, "cut springs is for dirty mexicans who mow my lawn" (which they don't). read more carefully

and before you post, research more carefully. cutting springs does NOT, i repeat, NOT increase spring rate. you are simply riding on springs that have a shortened throw, making you more likely to bottom out, causing damage to the car and suspension, not to mention that stock struts are not meant to be used on lowered applications. spring rate is dependant upon the thickness and material of the spring itself, not on the number of coils. lowering springs have a thicker, more rigid metal to compensate for the lack of throw, sacrificing ride quality for handling and a lowered centre of gravity.

how about you try to inform yourself before trying to refute me? anyone who knows cars at all will back me up on this.

Are you serious? You can't be serious.

Since you posted this around noon PST, no one has chimed in. I guess either no one here knows cars, or no one here is willing to back you up.

Google search on cutting coils and spring rates (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-11,GGLD:en&q=cutting+springs+rate)

I didn't even click on a single link, I just read the little excerpts from each hit. Maybe you should inform yourself, before refuting me.

And you can't even sit there and say your statement about mexicans in hondas was not racist, stereo typical, and ignorant.
"read more carefully"?!?!?!
Um...OK. I still think that was fucked up and I still think you are ignorant. But now, I think you are a complete fool who doesn't know when to stop digging.

And so you know, springs are not made one at a time. They are made in one long spring, and then cut into the appropriate lengths.
Tell me again how it's the worst possible way to lower? What is so bad about it? Unless you are as much of an idiot you come across as and cut springs with a torch.

MeanC43
05-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Haha, Wow.. thanks rman. I only had 1/2 of a coil cut off, out of a total of around 8 coils. I hardly think this is going to harm my car. I agree that SLAMMING your car by cutting off 2-3 full coils is retarded and ( poor mans lowering ) but in my case cutting the 1/2 coil off was the only way to get the aprox .8in to 1.0in lowering and keep the stock ride that I like. And Would'nt ya know it, its PERFECT. I could have gotten an Eibach Pro kit but im glad I didnt because It is exactly how i want it now and thats what matters. :cool:

rman
05-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Haha, Wow.. thanks rman. I only had 1/2 of a coil cut off, out of a total of around 8 coils. I hardly think this is going to harm my car. I agree that SLAMMING your car by cutting off 2-3 full coils is retarded and ( poor mans lowering ) but in my case cutting the 1/2 coil off was the only way to get the aprox .8in to 1.0in lowering and keep the stock ride that I like. And Would'nt ya know it, its PERFECT. I could have gotten an Eibach Pro kit but im glad I didnt because It is exactly how i want it now and thats what matters. :cool:

1/2 coil is not so much.

No matter if you are running cut stockers or aftermarket, it's the same.....as far as needing properly lenghted and valved shocks/struts.

You can get the highest quality, most expensive 3" drop spring, and you bet your ass it'll ride like shit on stock shocks/struts

kurt
05-17-2006, 07:04 PM
I went through all the bs of registering just to say that i completely agree with rman. There are actual name brand drop kits for trucks that are compatible with V6 and V8 trucks. With the V8 you keep the spring at their original length and with a V6 you cut a coil off. (i believe its 1 or 1.5)

and FYI
"spring rate is dependant upon the thickness and material of the spring itself, not on the number of coils"

That has got to be the most ignorant thing i have ever read.

If anything its a lack of compression. Not "throw"

Unless of course you car doubles as a trail rig.

F150XL
05-17-2006, 07:29 PM

also, i respect your attempt to create uniformity by getting both the smoked corners and tails, but I think the dark colour contrasts too much with a white car. I own a white 202 as well, but I'm probably going with DTM amber corners from ebay.de

I agree with the grill situation. it's kinda redundant, but that being said, it's your car, and you have the right to do whatever with it! play on, playa.

your just a fuckin idiot. I have a nissan sentra Spec V (02) and it has 1-1/2" of coil cut and it still rides like stock but at a lowered look.

Is that some sorta racist comment. you need to wake up. unless you built thier car you have no idea what people have done to it. thats like saying oh thats just a V6 mustang its slow as hell. NEWSFLASH! Twin turbo v6's can pull high 10's stock block, heads, cam.

K_Sport Driver
05-17-2006, 08:05 PM
i suppose you need to get your idiot friends to register to try to attack me. real mature. i guess you're not the only moron around here. it's simple physics, which I've already explained. If you want to ignore reality and proceed to defend your own ignorant methods of modification, go right ahead. oh, and go ahead and twist my words around to sound racist too.

question: why would they make lowering springs if cutting is SOOO much better? I'm done with this thread. I don't have time to waste with idiocy like yours and your little ass ramming maggots.

jnolte
05-17-2006, 08:09 PM
jeesh

tmlowe5704
05-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by kurt
I went through all the bs of registering just to say that i completely agree with rman. There are actual name brand drop kits for trucks that are compatible with V6 and V8 trucks. With the V8 you keep the spring at their original length and with a V6 you cut a coil off. (i believe its 1 or 1.5)

and FYI
"spring rate is dependant upon the thickness and material of the spring itself, not on the number of coils"

That has got to be the most ignorant thing i have ever read.

If anything its a lack of compression. Not "throw"

Unless of course you car doubles as a trail rig.

cha ching! Kurt, you hit right on the money. It is not dependent just on the thickness, but the number of coils has something to do with it as well. Sit back, as you are soon to be schooled in suspension.

K_Sport Driver
05-17-2006, 08:10 PM
oh, and MeanC43, my comments on spring cutting in no way were meant to bash your car. yours is a VERY nice looking 202, and half a spring is not nearly as bad as many others cut.

rman
05-17-2006, 08:13 PM
i suppose you need to get your idiot friends to register to try to attack me. real mature. i guess you're not the only moron around here. it's simple physics, which I've already explained. If you want to ignore reality and proceed to defend your own ignorant methods of modification, go right ahead. oh, and go ahead and twist my words around to sound racist too.

question: why would they make lowering springs if cutting is SOOO much better? I'm done with this thread. I don't have time to waste with idiocy like yours and your little ass ramming maggots.

i guess he didn't check the google search with countless amounts of links stating that cutting coils INCREASES spring rate.....

And why not cut coils? Hmmm...not everyone has the ability to cut springs, so that you can retain your stock coil to return to stock height, for spring rate characteristics not attainable by chopping your stock coil, more exact desired ride heights, do you need more reasons? or has your thick head and incompetence allowed this thought to register already?

And talk about twisting words. I didn't say it's SOOOO much better. I didn't say it's better at all. I'm just saying it's not BAD. read more carefully

I didn't ask anyone to register to talk shit to you. I linked the thread and some of my buddies thought you were such a chump that they had to let you know.

I'm just defending facts. I appologize if it's too much for you to handle.

jnolte
05-17-2006, 08:17 PM
well I wanted to lower my car, so i cut my shocks....

MeanC43
05-17-2006, 08:25 PM
I appreciate you clarifying that you were not bashing my car K_Sport Driver ..... I dont take time out of my day to put pictures of my car in this website to get shit talked. ANYWAYS ....... I think we have come to a conclusion that having a 1/2 coil cut off my springs was not a Ghetto way of lowering my car and in no way will it affect my car negatively. Thanks for defending my car guys!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d36/MeanC43/Jordanspics023.jpg

tmlowe5704
05-17-2006, 08:25 PM

Pfft why would I want to be friends with a Benz owner anyway?

iwhocorrupts
05-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Ok, so how about the people who cut their aftermarket springs? Hmmmm?

and

Originally posted by tmlowe5704

If you have something against Benz why are you here?

OCKlasse
05-17-2006, 08:30 PM
rman, as a follow cut springer, you know as well as I know, that it is an efficient way to get the height you want :cool: oh btw, I have a "Mexican Ghetto lowering job" of more than one coil cut all around (1.8 front, 1.7 rear, #1 pads all around), and if you cut your bumpstops, you get a perfect ride :D

rman
05-17-2006, 08:33 PM
K_Sport Driver,

You were right!!!!

People who know anything about cars are backing me up....

oh wait, you thought they were going to back you up :rolleyes:

rollinrealbig
05-17-2006, 09:05 PM
you guys are all retarded!!!

what you need is this!

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=11

JK about the retarded part
:D ;)

rollinrealbig
05-17-2006, 09:15 PM
ok, im staying out of your hissKatoot, but I want to cut say half a coil on my stock springs.

pro's con's ?

what would my approx. ride hieght? and what you guys use to cut em ?

jnolte
05-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by tmlowe5704

no body wants you here anyway, go back to you trailer with your POS ford

rman
05-18-2006, 01:29 AM
rollinrealbig,
i don't know what your approx ride height/drop would be with cutting that many.
The pros is lowering your car and center of gravity. The cons is you are increasing your spring rate slightly, causing a stiffer ride (not necessarily a con), and you don't have a stock coil to go back to if you want to raise it up.
The only ways i would cut a coil is with a hacksaw or chop saw. You want to generate as litte heat as possible, as this weakens the spring.
I have cut springs wiht a die grinder, you just have to keep heat in mind. Don't just jam thru it, cut a bit at a time, and rest, making sure the coil doesn't heat up.
Your best bed is chop saw, but if you don't have that, then hack saw. Just be prepared to saw for a long time and have a sore arm.

Jnolte,
I don't know who tmlowe is, but ford is no POS. My next vehicle is def. going to be another ford truck. Don't get me wrong, this is my first benz, but it's certainly not my last.

The LO C
05-18-2006, 08:52 PM
I too have cut coils. I have been running cut coils on different vehicles for like a decade how. No problems, no spring rate issues, no ride issues....nothing, people talk and talk and talk....

jnolte
05-18-2006, 10:03 PM
okay i used to have cut H&R springs on my C36. The ride sucked, i would never do it again, sure it was a nice height but not worth bouncing around, uncomfortable and feeling like im in a cheap jap import. ( you know the ones you laugh at when you see them bouncing on the freeway)

I now have a C43 with H&R springs i left them as is, they are much much better

OCKlasse
05-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
okay i used to have cut H&R springs on my C36. The ride sucked, i would never do it again, sure it was a nice height but not worth bouncing around, uncomfortable and feeling like im in a cheap jap import. ( you know the ones you laugh at when you see them bouncing on the freeway)

I now have a C43 with H&R springs i left them as is, they are much much better

you need to cut the bumpstop

NEA-4311
05-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Wasnt this thread about smoked corners??? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Jesus Christ! Too much heat.:bunny:

rman
05-19-2006, 08:37 PM
my c280 sport is black....

i'd like to get the smoked corners, but i also want the smoked headlamps. So far the only one's i've seen are the projector ones, which I like, but the corners don't match the projectors!

Does anyone know of a matching set? Or perhaps get teh regular projector/corner set and tint them myself?

NEA-4311
05-20-2006, 04:17 AM
It might be easy for the corners to tint them but I wouldnt recommend it for the projectors because the glass is glued around the headlight. If you pull it out you ll probably damage it and the last thing you want is mist inside the glass when it rains or when you wash the car. So I say buy a set of tinted projectors and a crystal clear set which you tint afterwards, here are the links in case you re a lazy boy. :cool:

DEALER 1:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-00-MERCEDES-W202-C-CLASS-SMOKED-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ 8067891380QQtcZphoto

DEALER 2:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCEDES-BZ-W202-C220-C230-C280-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHT-TIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8067906 827

CORNERS:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLEAR-CORNERS-mercedes-benz-C43-C-43-99-00-crystal-set_W0QQitemZ8066425710QQcategoryZ33708QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem