PDA

View Full Version : cutting springs?

rollinrealbig
05-19-2006, 04:32 PM
ok removed my springs today, I want to know how much I should cut them, they are my stock ones and please dont argue about how its a good idea or not - I just want my car to be lower, so how much should I cut off for a good ride hieght?

got_wake
05-19-2006, 05:50 PM
i prob wouldnt do more than one coil, and thats not going to make it super low! try one coil and get them compressed. but as every one will bite at you real lowering springs are a better choice! hate to be a dick but they are. but iv had cars with chopped springs i never did more than one coil.

NEA-4311
05-19-2006, 06:26 PM
I wouldnt just ask that in a forum, so some random guy answers whatever he thinks right and turns out to be wrong for you. Definitely listen to someone who has done it on his car and came out OK and ask around your areas wheelshops etc. I wouldnt do that, springs are cheap as hell man.
Oh and a quote from my friend jnolte about cutting off springs...

okay i used to have cut H&R springs on my C36. The ride sucked, i would never do it again, sure it was a nice height but not worth bouncing around, uncomfortable and feeling like im in a cheap jap import. ( you know the ones you laugh at when you see them bouncing on the freeway)

I now have a C43 with H&R springs i left them as is, they are much much better

got_wake
05-19-2006, 07:27 PM
he's right i never cut the springs in a merc i have only done it to like toyotas and that and the rides average, but that all depends on how many coils you cut off, maybe try compression but still makes them sloppy, and bounce a bit.

NEA-4311
05-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Its not about the car's brand or whether its professional or even safe to do, It just doesnt feel right to me. But then again, thats just me. :)

rollinrealbig
05-19-2006, 08:01 PM
yea thanks guys!

1coil is exactly what I was thinking but would really like to hear from a 202er w/cut stock springs and pictures would be awesome!

I have no job, so making money is just another day of hustlin kids my age, at sckool LoL :D

ok, removing my rear springs was real easy - I did it the way you guys were talking, lifted the back on jack-stands, unbolting the control arm (think its what its called) while holding a jack underneath and slowly popping each of em out!

will go get the rear two cut tomaro or when it stops raining (weird, rains in CA agian) ill keep ya guys updated!

Renn 208
05-19-2006, 08:32 PM
try not to heat up the coils too much when you cut them...

rollinrealbig
05-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Renn 208
try not to heat up the coils too much when you cut them...

yea Im planning to use an air tool w/cutting wheel attached and have the coils submerged in cold water while im doing this. thanks for letting me know cuz I would have never known.

c280nz
05-19-2006, 11:48 PM
just cut one coil off each end. cut it off the end which isnt ground flat. if you cut anymore that that as the springs may become uncaptive and that is dangerous.

got_wake
05-20-2006, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by c280nz
just cut one coil off each end. cut it off the end which isnt ground flat. if you cut anymore that that as the springs may become uncaptive and that is dangerous.

hey bro its funny how the new zealanders have the most knowlage on choppies!!! ahha

The LO C
05-20-2006, 08:11 AM
I'd actually start a half coil at a time...1 coil will do a lot!

jnolte
05-21-2006, 09:21 AM
dont cut them, its ghetto!
done this on my c36, regrets!

c280nz
05-22-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by got_wake
hey bro its funny how the new zealanders have the most knowlage on choppies!!! ahha
buy a set of lowering springs and lower your own car, or buy an angle grinder and lower all your mates cars 2 :cool:

in no way am i role model material ;)

MikeL
05-27-2006, 02:36 AM
u'll have to cut at least 2 coils. Ive seen MB's with one coil cut on aftermarket springs and it barely lowers it more. The stock 202 springs make the car sit like a 4x4. If you're going to do it, try cutting 1 1/2 - 2 coils in the rear and 2 to 2 1/2 in the front.