PDA

View Full Version : New ignition wires....

zzDragonzz
05-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Hello everyone, was wondering where I can purchase the igniton wires for a c280 since mine are almost shot...I recently changed all 12 spark plugs and two of the wires that connect to them look like they are in pretty bad shape, so I minus well replace all 12 of them or at least the ones that are really bad....Can anyone guide me in the rigth direction on where to purchase them, what they are specifically called, and how much would the coil packs cost?

Also, when looking at the engine bay, in what order are the cyclinder numbers 1-6....thanks in advance!

Su

zzDragonzz
05-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Ok so got a CEL on today, went to the local autozone for a free scan to find out what caused the problem, code was p0306 being misfiring of cylinder 6...

Back up...previous to bringing it to autozone to check for the code, I reseted the ECU (disconnected battery) to see if it might have been a glitch..started up car and the code was gone...test drove it and during normal driving it was cool, but as soon as I gunned it, the RPM's shot up but car went no where and CEL came back on...forward to autozone (above)

After plugging in the OBDII scanner and pulled up the code, one of the techs there erased the code for me, and since then the CEL has not come on, even during hard driving which caused it to come on in the first place and linked to the misifiring of cylinder 6...

My question is that when they erase the code, they are just clearing it from the ECU same way that I cleared it by removing the neg. battery terminal for extended time right? Meaning that the p0306 CEL code should come up again even though they cleared/erased it right? Because this is really wierd...it's not showing up anymore for some reason....go figure!?

CAn someone tell me where cylinder 6 is located on the 98 c280's? I'm going to first try to replace the ignition wires to see if they are at fault....thanks

SLAMMED_C
05-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by zzDragonzz
Ok so got a CEL on today, went to the local autozone for a free scan to find out what caused the problem, code was p0306 being misfiring of cylinder 6...

Back up...previous to bringing it to autozone to check for the code, I reseted the ECU (disconnected battery) to see if it might have been a glitch..started up car and the code was gone...test drove it and during normal driving it was cool, but as soon as I gunned it, the RPM's shot up but car went no where and CEL came back on...forward to autozone (above)

After plugging in the OBDII scanner and pulled up the code, one of the techs there erased the code for me, and since then the CEL has not come on, even during hard driving which caused it to come on in the first place and linked to the misifiring of cylinder 6...

My question is that when they erase the code, they are just clearing it from the ECU same way that I cleared it by removing the neg. battery terminal for extended time right? Meaning that the p0306 CEL code should come up again even though they cleared/erased it right? Because this is really wierd...it's not showing up anymore for some reason....go figure!?

CAn someone tell me where cylinder 6 is located on the 98 c280's? I'm going to first try to replace the ignition wires to see if they are at fault....thanks
it depends on if you want OEM wires.. or aftermarket wires.
Magnecor make wires for our cars.. or just hit up the dealer or an online benz parts source.
as for your questions about disconnecting the battery and erasing codes using a scan tool... its the same thing.. as long as the battery is disconnected for at least 5-10 mins. some control modules keep memory for periods of time even after abtteries are disconnected.
but yes the code will erase the same as it would if you were to use a scan tool.
and po306 is cylinder #6.. it is located on the right side of the motor (sitting in the vehicle looking towards the front of the car)
right side of the motor at the back.
hope this helps out.

as for your misfire after spark plug replacement... did you gap the spark plugs at all?
possibly defective coil or bad wires.

zzDragonzz
05-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Thank you slammed C, so eventually after resetting/erasing by both methods (battery or scanner) if the problem persist then the CEL would come on again right? I don't understand why it didnt show back up after resetting with the scanner then...only difference is that I took off the plastic piece that covers the engine after I resetted the ECU using scanner method....maybe that was effecting it in some wierd way.

Can you also tell me all the cylinder numbers...so facing the car (opposite from your example) cylinder 6 is the third or last one on the left...what about the 1st and 2nd cylinder's on the left...also what about the 1st, 2nd and 3rd ones on the right?

Thanks again

SLAMMED_C
05-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Thank you slammed C, so eventually after resetting/erasing by both methods (battery or scanner) if the problem persist then the CEL would come on again right?

Can you also tell me all the cylinder numbers...so facing the car (opposite from your example) cylinder 6 is the third or last one on the left...what about the 1st and 2nd cylinder's on the left...also what about the 1st, 2nd and 3rd ones on the right?

Thanks again
exactly.. if the problem were to persist.. by resetting with either method. the engine light would still light back up again if the fault were to reoccure.
okay... so facing the car (standing at fornt of engine looking towards rear of car) cylinder #1 is the first one on the right, cylinder #2 is behind that one, cylinder #3 is the back one on the right side.
on the left side we have cylinder #4 at left front, behind that is cylinder #5, and then finally cylinder #6 is at the back left.

zzDragonzz
05-19-2006, 08:21 PM
It had to be the one toward the firewall, the hardest one to reach huh? lol DAmmit, I'll check it once my car cools down....What were the numbers indicated by the dashes for then....example 1-4-3-6-2-5?

SLAMMED_C
05-19-2006, 08:29 PM
It had to be the one toward the firewall, the hardest one to reach huh? lol DAmmit, I'll check it once my car cools down....What were the numbers indicated by the dashes for then....example 1-4-3-6-2-5?
yep!.. the one you want is always the hardest one to get at!!
That sequence of numbers the firing order of your engine.

zzDragonzz
05-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks so much, I checked the ignition coil and behold it almost fell off when I touched it, barely holding on for its life, probably conducted spark at times though cause it was in the vacinity.....plugged her back up and no she perrrs like normal again...

I called the stealership up and they wanted over 500 for the ignition set, and 43 bucks each wow glad I fixed that in less than a minute.

Cheers!!!

benzaddict
05-20-2006, 12:26 PM
okay... so facing the car (standing at fornt of engine looking towards rear of car) cylinder #1 is the first one on the right, cylinder #2 is behind that one, cylinder #3 is the back one on the right side.
on the left side we have cylinder #4 at left front, behind that is cylinder #5, and then finally cylinder #6 is at the back left. [/B]

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Cylinder #1 on all MB V-style engines is always the most forward cylinder on the passenger side (right side if you're sitting in the seat looking forward, left side if you're standing in front of the car looking rearward). You just had the sides mixed up.

zzDragonzz
05-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks benz addict, I was just going to question that too...upon further inspection I noticed that each cylinder is marked by K and G, K being the first spark plug and G being the 2nd one. (2 spark plugs per cylinder)...on the left side, facing the car it says K1-K3 and on the right it says K4-K6 each number representing each cylinder.

It's wierd, since yesterday after resetting the code w/ the obdII scanner the CEL code didn't come back till about an hour ago, being about 3-4pm pacific time and all day driving....time to get new ignition wires I suppose. Thanks for the clarification!

SLAMMED_C
05-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by benzaddict
Sorry, but this is incorrect. Cylinder #1 on all MB V-style engines is always the most forward cylinder on the passenger side (right side if you're sitting in the seat looking forward, left side if you're standing in front of the car looking rearward). You just had the sides mixed up.
acyually you are incorrect.
this isnt a ford or gm motor!!!... mercedes does it backwards.. the german way!
so #1 cylinder is the most forward on the right side (standing in front of the motor looking rearward).

zzDragonzz
05-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Ok, can someone tell me which one is the right one???

jnenad16
05-21-2006, 05:06 PM
benzaddict is right, the #1 cylinder on a benz is always the front one on the pass. side, and it doesnt criss-cross the cylinder order like the other makes do.

nenad

zzDragonzz
05-21-2006, 05:11 PM
thanks jnenad16, you are very knowledgable and I appreciate it.

Thanks Brahhhh :D

jnolte
05-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
so #1 cylinder is the most forward on the right side (standing in front of the motor looking rearward).

arnt you a benz tech also? I was torn who to beleive because you are both very trusted advice!

benzaddict
05-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C

Maybe it's backwards in Canada:D

jnolte
05-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by benzaddict
Maybe it's backwards in Canada:D

lol

SLAMMED_C
05-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
arnt you a benz tech also? I was torn who to beleive because you are both very trusted advice!
I work on benz's from time to time.
my appologies then.. I must have it backwards. I know its the opposite from the north american automakers to what is cylinder 1. I havent done much engine related work lately.. so I confizzled myself!
my appologies.

dc36
05-29-2006, 07:23 PM
i was looking on the denso website and they have wires that look very nice dont know if anyone has tried them.

OzC36
10-22-2006, 05:35 AM
Why do some folks refer to the left and right side of the engine looking at the car as viewed from the front? While everyone refers to the drivers seat in a LHD car as the left front seat and never the right front seat as viewed from the front of the car!

Isn't it a bit like asking when is the starboard side of a ship not the starboard side? Or when is the right wing of an aircraft not the right wing?

Now when a car is reversing, which is the left front wheel!