PDA

View Full Version : Where to put my Brain

rman
05-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Just as the title suggest, where should I put my brain?

For my kenwood kvt715-dvd...in dash dvd, i have a hideaway brain. It's about 1.5"x8"x7" ish..

I've only had the car for 5 days so I'm still learning the interior...
No room under the seats, all the motors and stuff. No room under the rear seat, there's just no room.

I'd like to get it in the dash, or below it somewhere, so that I DON'T have to get an antenna extension. But if i can't figure it out, i'll have to get an extension and throw the whole brain in the trunk.

Anyone have suggestions as to where to put this unit? How about under the center console? And how do I take that apart?
I also can't figure out the door sills, do i just have to get in there with a screwdrive and pop it off?

Anyone else here switch the locations of the climate control with their HU? I am going that route, so that when my flip up screen is up, it's at a better viewing angle, so i'm not looking straight down as I attempt to skip to the next track :D

I'm done for tonight, but if anyone has suggestions, i'll check in the morning. That will dictate whether or not my broke ass has to buy an antenna extension.

Great news, my old sub enclosure with my 2 10" fit perfectly in the trunk, and the carpet almost matches...lol

zzDragonzz
05-19-2006, 09:29 PM
hmm...good question I was going to say under the passenger seat, but you ruled that out due to mechanisms already there...I would say your best bet would be behind the center console, or definately in the trunk...let me know cause I plan on getting a screen for my car also if no one purchases it....

take care
Su

rollinrealbig
05-19-2006, 09:31 PM
umm, if this was my setup id try to shove it behind the HU if I could, other then that - mount it under your dash.

c280nz
05-19-2006, 11:51 PM
i put myne in the dash sort of behind the ash tray coin tray area. there was room i sort of mounted it sideways towards the left side of the car.
getting all the cords packed in the dash is the real mission

crazy00c230k
05-20-2006, 02:00 AM
i put mine on the false firewall where the passengers feet go, just pull up ur carpet and there is a nice metal plate there, its convenient for wiring too

rman
05-20-2006, 04:15 AM
hmmm.....

i thought about behind the dash, but it didn't look like it'd fit...plus all the wiring :confused:

i'll have to check out the false firewall and see if i can shove it down there with all the wiring.....

anyone know where the antenna wire goes? like how it's routed within the car?

rman
05-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Phew. 5 hours and i'm done...just gotta clean up some wiring but it's all hidden anyhow

I put the brain, the brain/monitor cord, and INTENSE wiring harness all under the passenger false floor thing. Tight fit, but I got it to work.....routed the rca and 12v lead to the trunk under the doorsills and thru a lower acces hole behind the rear seatback.

Amp resides where teh bekker changer was, my box from my f150 fits perfectly in the trunk and the upholstry almosts matches! not even a big deal.

It bumps okay, it's not exactly the greatest setup, but the sound deadening really kills it. Plus the fact that the factory speakers are all pretty aged and rattle-y. Next up is to remove the rear deck speakers for the trunk/cab port.

The setup
Kenwood KVT715-DVD 7" touchscreen dvd
2 10" Kicker CVR dual 4ohm (wired to 2)
Kenwood something something pushing 2x230w rms

Nothing too special, nothing too great. Just something to get me by until I can afford better :D

zzDragonzz
05-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Cool, get some pics up to let us see the finished product...Why did you want to kno if I lived in Mira mesa?