PDA

View Full Version : Ok this limp mode now is pissing me off

Eurosport
07-30-2003, 12:14 PM
it's hot here today, about 90
so in D, with AC on i push it hard at 6k rpm bastard goes in limp mode, check engine comes on of course.
i pull over, put in my clie with auterra, there's no code. i shut the car off to reset the limp mode, pull out the ODBII, turn the car back on, no check engine light on, car runs perfect. turn it off again, put in odbii, no codes stored nothing. turn off again pull out odbii, turn back on, make another run, at 6k rpm goes in limp mode. ok do eveything all over, still no code, and after restarting car goes out of limp mode of course, like nothing happened.

in the past when it did this to me at least it gave me a code, and check engine light was still on, until i reset it, so now i'm wondering this has to be something new, but wtf is it.

bad gas? i don't get it
i'll pull out my k&n and put in stock filter then do a run and see if it still does it, also i'll try a run with ac off, see if that has anything to do with it,
any other ideas?
i think i just have a grey hair now

Eurosport
07-30-2003, 01:18 PM
ok lmao
i can't duplicate it now
tried with ac on and also ac off, shifted perfectly just before redline, as i was thinking it'll go into limp mode again at 6k, temp outside is same 91F, did a few good runs, and still nothing this time, ran perfect.

i think it's almost the 1st of the month, my car is going on her period

i'll keep you guys posted, hopefully she's not pregnant, i haven't been around other amg's lately lol

jnolte
07-30-2003, 02:41 PM
My AMG is fucked up too.

My car always is in limp mode. Like not enough gas flow or something. Its hella pissing my off.

Diesel style idel when at stop lights and boggs down when floored

J Irwan
07-30-2003, 07:33 PM
With this Limp mode you two have..here

let me ask you, when the last time you replace the MAS..

If you never replace the MAS and you car already has more than 60,000 miles I'd replace the MAS..

I never goes on limp mode even accelarating hard with A/C on a hot day.
I even bump the rev limieter one to many times because the car rev up so fast..when I am in spririted drivng mode..

and all of this with my cold air intake.

so if you in to limp mode because you're reached 6k rpm, then definitely something wrong...

Regardz,

Eurosport
07-30-2003, 08:37 PM
replace MAS even though you get no code?
even though it's working good now?
i would think you'd get code from bad MAS no?

i'll do some more test drives
i tried to get it to mess up all day after that happened
even met a blonde driving a black C36 on the freeway and suprisingly she had lead foot too and pretty ;)
but ya car runs perfect very but was weird this morning

J Irwan
07-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Eurosport
replace MAS even though you get no code?
even though it's working good now?
i would think you'd get code from bad MAS no?

i'll do some more test drives
i tried to get it to mess up all day after that happened
even met a blonde driving a black C36 on the freeway and suprisingly she had lead foot too and pretty ;)
but ya car runs perfect very but was weird this morning

when the MAS started acting up you won't get any code..

after it become worst, and has faults more often than not that'll throw the error code..

I think the MAS is part of the maintenance that MB never realized, and I heard one to many times MAS will go bad even on cars that always run on OEM paper-filter...

my MAS gone bad when I have 71,000 on the clock
Regardz,

Three Point 6
07-30-2003, 08:56 PM
My C36 did pretty much the same thing last winter. It sputtered & ran great after I shut it off. It wasn't my MAF, that I paid for, wasnt my plugs. It was the suppressors Ie; resistor tips. My check engine light never came on b/c someone removed mine! (maybe the dealer??) An indie shop found my problem. Total cost $250.00 in parts & labor to replace under the valve-cover. Ran great after that! Do it yourself for $53.00!!! Thats all the parts cost.

Eurosport
07-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Three Point 6
My C36 did pretty much the same thing last winter. It sputtered & ran great after I shut it off. It wasn't my MAF, that I paid for, wasnt my plugs. It was the suppressors Ie; resistor tips. My check engine light never came on b/c someone removed mine! (maybe the dealer??) An indie shop found my problem. Total cost $250.00 in parts & labor to replace under the valve-cover. Ran great after that! Do it yourself for $53.00!!! Thats all the parts cost.

Three point6,
are you talking about the coil packs?
i had those replaced in january all 3 new coil packs, those should last for a loooong time now

J,
i'll keep an eye on it 76k on clock now, if it does start acting up more and more i'll change the MAS, i think from a list i read awhile back if i remember correctly MAS or throttle response link are the things left over that haven't been done on my car yet.
we'll see
thanks for input guys

Three Point 6
07-31-2003, 05:04 AM
Eurosport,

No, the suppresors are underneath each of the three coil packs & serve as a bridge between the coil & the plug. These things actually are responsible for giving your ignition system 'resistance'. That is why you are supposed to run non-resistance plugs. when the 'resistor tips' get old from heat the ohm load changes and therefore the engine sees this & can interprit the condition as a miss-fire. That is why the car resets & runs fine again after a shutdown & that is why it occurs under load. Some shops replace these EVERY time they do plug replacement cause they have to come out anyway! There are (3) of them(one under each coil pack) & they run like $15 bucks apiece.

Later!

Rocky
07-31-2003, 05:11 AM
Three point should be right. Had the same problem, when accelling to 6k and goto limp. Replaced the coil ends. It's a rubber tuibe that connects the coil packs witht he spark plug. Common failure due to heat underneath each coil pack. Cost, less then 20 bucks, your gonna need 3.

BTW coil packs shoulsn't have to be changed unless you got the old style with the blue markings on it.

Eurosport
07-31-2003, 09:32 AM
three point6,
thanks for explanation, it does sound like that might be what's happening. since i was thinking about changing spark plugs soon, i might as well give those suppressors a shot.
just in case anyone needs part number is:
000-159-36-42
thanks again