PDA

View Full Version : C55

01 TiAg
07-30-2003, 12:39 PM
My friends just finished swapping a 55 motor into a c43...they were wondering if there was any interest from anyone wanting a 55 motor in there c-class...we are located in the bay area...some of you may have seen it at the evoworks show but they showed up really late...post if there is any interest...thanks

jnolte
07-30-2003, 02:37 PM
sounds intresting but i only have a C36....

How bout C43 engine in a C36

01 TiAg
07-30-2003, 03:16 PM
we could put a 43 in place of the 36...but the 55 would also fit...

kameraguy
07-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Interested? YES!!! Can I afford it.....dunno!

How much would that swap typically cost???

01 TiAg
07-30-2003, 04:47 PM
The price range will be 15k to 20k depending on the availability of the motor. Price includes motor and labor costs.

jnolte
07-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Do you still have your old C43 engine???

Renn 208
07-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
Do you still have your old C43 engine???

If you're really interested in having a C/43, why ruin a perfectly good and rare C36? I'd say let someone else enjoy the C36 and grab a cheap 202 chassis as a basis for the engine swap.

If I had plenty of cash, a C43 and just neeeded a C55 that badly, I'd do the swap.

But the ////AMG I-6 is a beautiful thing...if I had it, I'd keep it.

If you want a C43, sell the C36 and buy a 43, there are plenty out there.

And if you want a C55 without all the hassle, why not buy a used 208 55?

I'd say that a 55 engine swap would be for someone who absolutely neeeeeds a 202 55. I don't think it would be a good idea to yank out the AMG I-6 for a "common" 4.3.

just my opinion of course ;)

speedybenz
07-30-2003, 08:01 PM
I agree with Renn208 on this one. Don't ruin a nice C36 to make a C55.

Take your C36 and build the motor a little. For less than $10,000 you could add a 100 hp to that motor and still keep the integerty of the C36.

Jeff

jnolte
07-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz

Take your C36 and build the motor a little. For less than $10,000 you could add a 100 hp to that motor and still keep the integerty of the C36.

Jeff

What mods can i do???

J Irwan
07-30-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz

Jeff

true...
with less than $10,000 I can have Mosselman Turbo Installed with custom tuning (on the dyno tuning)...

And that should add easily 100hp and 100lb-ft.... hm...yummy..

:D:D:D:D:D

Regardz,

Renn 208
07-30-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
true...
with less than $10,000 I can have Mosselman Turbo Installed with custom tuning (on the dyno tuning)...

And that should add easily 100hp and 100lb-ft.... hm...yummy..

:D:D:D:D:D

Regardz,

Hey J...this is a total guess...but I'm thinking that Jeff is thinking N/A:D

Eurosport
07-30-2003, 11:32 PM
15k to 20k is too much $$$ for the swap
depending on motor cost, which usually is 5k-8k depending on miles on it, labor is only 1.5k, let's say you get rear diff and ecu for another 1.5k at most, that would be about 11k at most
i don't get where 15k-20k comes from
the swap is not hard :)

moedigga
07-31-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Eurosport
depending on motor cost, which usually is 5k-8k depending on miles on it, labor is only 1.5k, let's say you get rear diff and ecu for another 1.5k at most, that would be about 11k at most
the swap is not hard :) I agree-MOE

CKlasse
07-31-2003, 07:52 AM
the swap is not hard :)

:werd: :werd:

WeatherMan
07-31-2003, 08:56 AM
Renntech has even said they would do it for 12-16k total tuned & installed, and they're not the cheapest but they are proven...

Denlasoul
07-31-2003, 09:17 AM
For the amount of money you guys are talkning about, it might be better to get a s/c instead. Definitely more power than the 5.5L transplant.

moedigga
07-31-2003, 09:51 AM
Hmmm Denla, speaking of s/c 's whats up with that hps c43 out there on the west side near you . Any developments because it doesnt seem like Adam is getting off his ass to give us any info like promised-MOE

speedybenz
07-31-2003, 10:03 AM
For $10,000 or most likely a lot less, say $5000, you could just rebuild your own C36,C43 motor.

If a quality race shop went through your motor you could lighten the crank, install some light Carrillo rods, Mahle pistons, Total Seal rings, Cometic Head Gasket, Manley valves and valve springs. I would even remove the valve guides and replace them with guides of smaller diameter to use a lighter valve.

Also when you do the crankshaft you offset grind and rod journals (stroke it) and use Honda sized rods on the big end. This gets you a lighter rod and less friction.

Then you look and at the head. You want to set the piston to head clearance to 0.035" to increase combustion chamber turbulance and then you can up compression to 11:1.

Reduce the intake port crosssection to 65 percent of the intake valve area and do similar to the exhaust side. Modify the head to flow more air faster and with less turbulance in the port.

Try to use a flat top piston so you don't impede the air/fuel burn rate and have to use lots of ignition timing (Bad).

With all these good parts you are looking to increase your rpm limit to 7500rpm.

Last work with a good can grinder who you have shared your engine details with so they can grind you a cam to work with your setup.

Do all the above and you should see about 450Hp to the crank and 370Hp to the wheels of a C43 engine.

And don't forget to modify your Torque Convertor. You want less rotating weight and a little higher stall speed. Maybe even throw in a Carbon Fiber drive line.

Jeff

Denlasoul
07-31-2003, 10:49 AM
Moe:

Adam posted some stuff over on the sister site. Some interesting info. I hope to hook up with the guy who had his 43 s/c'd b/c he is really close to where I live. Plus it will give me better insight on what to expect on my car.

Here's a link to the C43 results: Click! (http://www.myhps.com/c43/c43.html)

moedigga
07-31-2003, 11:28 AM
Denla, Thank you. Probably shoulda checked Hps site that woulda helped, but thought he was posting it on bnzsport and here aswell. My bad, -MOE

Eurosport
07-31-2003, 03:17 PM
i forgot to mention for $20k euros AMG in Afalterbach will do the conversion for you
now add about 1k for shipping back and forth to Rotterdam or other major ports in Europe, depending how nice of route of driving you wanna have, shipping is average 3 weeks to a month, then fly there for about $400 to $900 round trip
now that beats spending 20k and having it done by some shop.

and you'll have lots of fun on the autobahns afterwards, oh and could get limiter out while you there :)

ok enough with the fun back to the grind hehe

mike mac
01-29-2008, 08:13 PM
i forgot to mention for $20k euros AMG in Afalterbach will do the conversion for you
now add about 1k for shipping back and forth to Rotterdam or other major ports in Europe, depending how nice of route of driving you wanna have, shipping is average 3 weeks to a month, then fly there for about $400 to $900 round trip
now that beats spending 20k and having it done by some shop.

and you'll have lots of fun on the autobahns afterwards, oh and could get limiter out while you there :)

ok enough with the fun back to the grind hehe

having the car come from germany....after idk how old your car is but lets say 1997 like mine( thats 11 years) bring it back to germany, blow money and time for a swap?! and then bring it back to the US?!
not worth it...unless you were eighter selling the car in europe ( like my fam did to a W203 coupe, no swaps). any shop can do a swap, you can do a swap over a weekend or even have a benz tech/ fanatic help you.
if you really wanna get crazy, find a Beater w202 in germany or europe in general, get the swap, ship it here. that would make more sense. then again its an old car.

bTW do your homework, its a $1000 to send a car to europe, but about triple to ship it from europe to the US( doesnt make sense, but thats how it is)
while its out there...you still gotta take it on the autobahn, test run...u know lol

RemoLexi
01-29-2008, 09:10 PM
to everyone planning engine swaps,

you do know its not just plugging a ECU and engine to complete the swap, correct ?

98+ has a DAS III EIS (they have smart keys)
96,97' have DAS II (switchblade keys)
anything up to 95' has DAS I (Standard keys,correct me of im wrong)

A ECU AKA ME (Management, Engine) is vin coded to the EIS control module which is also VIN coded, the two VINs must match in order to start the car.

the ME can be re-coded as ive read in THE STAR magazine to match the EIS but ONLY if the EIS is the same system i.e 99' C280 V6 has a smartkey therefor it has a DAS III EIS, any C43 has a DAS III so the swap may be alot easier.

DAS II (switchblade keys, 96/97') cant be used with the DAS III ECU from lets say a C43. therefor any 202 97' and older cant use the C43 motor.

Correct me if im wrong, these are just my understandings from what ive been told by true Mercedes-Benz technitions.

I personally think the coolest swap would be taking any mercedes with DAS II, swapping an SLK32 AMG Kompressor motor, ME, harness and using the 6-speed manual tranmission from an SLK320. would be a challange but can be done.

c55m8o
01-31-2008, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by RemoLexi
to everyone planning engine swaps,

you do know its not just plugging a ECU and engine to complete the swap, correct ?

98+ has a DAS III EIS (they have smart keys)
96,97' have DAS II (switchblade keys)
anything up to 95' has DAS I (Standard keys,correct me of im wrong)
I feel silly posting in an old thread that was revived by someone replying to something from 07-31-2003 ... but in this regard above I'll correct for the archives, anything starting as a "430 / 43" with as you noted "98+ has a DAS III EIS" is plug & play for the 5.4L swap; no ECUs need to change, nor does any reprogramming need to take place. You do not have to have your ECU chipped to the 5.4L engine, as the ECU will adapt the fuel to the extra 25% air-flow.

Can you? Sure. I did. I had an altered E55 map programmed over my C43 base maps. But it wasn't mandatory. As as long as your MAF is properly metering the air, you're going to get the fuel. The best reason to chip it is to have the timing altered too. It's a comfort level to know your base maps will start at the expected airflow for the engine, and ensuring 'close' to the proper air/fuel ratio if your MAF isn't metering properly (happens a lot).