PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer/Amp

harryt
05-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey guys, I just got my sub and amp. I needed some help on some steps.

The good thing is, since benz batteries are in the back, I don't need to run a terminal wire = less work for me.

The main issue for me is how to get to the cd player. Does anyone have a diagram of where the screws would be, so I am able to get to the cd player?

Also running the wire to the trunk for the RCA and Remote wires. Are there screwes for the carpet or corner so I can lift the carpet up and run the wire through it all the way to the back?

I forgot to add that the car is a 95 C280 and there is a aftermarket cd player in there, I believe when I got the car, the owner placed it in there already.

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry.

PS: I just checked the deck out today and it seems there is no RCA outlet. I also don't know if it has a remote wire..... as it seems like most wires are being used,\.

iwhocorrupts
05-25-2006, 10:14 PM
I went through the paneling in the trunk ran the wires behind the backseat, under the backseat, down under the carpet and up the tranny tunnel wall up into the dash. As far as your no RCA outputs go, Id look into a new head if you want subs..

Proven Guilty
05-25-2006, 10:50 PM
if the head unit doesnt even have RCA pre-outs, just replace it. sounds like a POS.

to remove the stereo, there's two screws under the wood trim that surrounds it just above the casette holder. take those two screws out, and it'll be pretty self explanitory from there.

harryt
05-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi guys thanks for the advice.

At the moment I have 2 options it seems.

Either I can get a new deck, since it seems like my deck has no RCA outputs, which is rather odd especially for a new deck....

Or I was thinking of getting a RCA output converter and running it from the trunk rear speakers.

Also if I do get a new deck does anyone have the color code? Someone else installed the deck prior to me getting the car. So basically he cut the old harness I think and just joined the wires with the deck's harness.

Anymore advice would be greatful.

Thanks,

Harry.

jnolte
05-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
if the head unit doesnt even have RCA pre-outs, just replace it. sounds like a POS.

to remove the stereo, there's two screws under the wood trim that surrounds it just above the casette holder. take those two screws out, and it'll be pretty self explanitory from there.

usually to remove a deck stock and aftermarket one uses a set of "keys" for easy, safe removal

Hambone0083
05-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Your best bet would be the RCA converter. I had a classic Fosgate Power 800a2 wired through an RCA converter.

I connected the RCA converter to the rear speaker wire. 10 Minute connection.

Hooking up a system in my 2000 Special Edition was easier than any other of my vehicles if you know what you are doing!

harryt
05-26-2006, 01:04 PM
I was also thinking of the convertor, which will be an easier job for me. The only issue would be sound quality..... using a convertor vs RCA from deck.

Hambone0083
05-26-2006, 02:03 PM
The one thing I found was that I needed a crossover. I had an MTX crossover for my system. Connect the RCA's from converter to the crossover and from crossover to the amplifier. The quality of the bass was incredible.

My setup included Monster Cable RCA converter, MTX crossover, 1 fared capacitor (Lighting Audio), 1200 Watt Amplifier (Fosgate power 800a2), (1) 12" fosgate P2 sealed. It was nice! It pounded and sounded sweet with no noise from the interior of car.

strictlyspeakin
05-31-2006, 09:03 AM
harryt,

You still need the wiring color codes? If so, I'll dig them out.

The previous owner of my car did the same thing and cut out the original wiring harness.

harryt
05-31-2006, 11:31 AM
well I'm not going to replace the deck I think, however I need help picking an convertor.....

Anyone used this converter? http://www.scosche.com/scosche_caraudio.aspx?CategoryID=29&ItemID=SLC-4

I seen some people say that's a pretty good convertor.....

I went to another store, but they were charging me double the price, of the one above. It was a peripheral convertor.

Anyone ever used any of them?

harryt
06-16-2006, 10:46 PM
NEW UPDATE: I got it all working... I didn't run any wires in the car at all. I also didn't need a line out convertor. I will take pics in a few days, once the car is insured and I can wash it up a bit.

trinied
07-13-2006, 09:11 AM
howw did you install a sub and amp with out running wires?

harryt
07-14-2006, 04:52 PM
I will take pics in a few days hopefully. I didn't have to run anything at all... I just used stuff in the trunk.