PDA

View Full Version : Track Modification

coolin
05-26-2006, 05:33 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm going to head to the 1/4-mile track with a bunch of friends either this weekend or next and was wondering if anyone knew about problems that may occur if I remove my accessory belt for my passes.

Does the accessory belt drive anything that, if absent, could cause engine/electrical damage when driven hard over a short distance?

NEA-4311
05-26-2006, 06:43 AM
Why would you want to do that? Will that give you more power? :hmmm:

alphanumeric
05-26-2006, 08:40 AM
by lookin under the hood of my c230k.. you wont be able to remove any kind of belt that will give u any HP gains.

NEA some cars you can.. not ours

remove your spair tire..

Nea.. the way some cars belts are setup, you can remove the Power steering, and AC which will free up very little HP. also by deleting your engines main clutch fan will add nominal HP gains but you need to replace it with an electric fan, or use the 2 front AUX fans by adding a Temp sensor that turns them on when needed.

coolin
05-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by NEA-4311
Why would you want to do that? Will that give you more power? :hmmm:

It started off as a joke among the guys that I'm going down with, but figured I'd throw it out to you guys.

Even in competitive 1/4 mile racing I don't think anyone bothers with the accessory belt.

Assuming it you don't wreck something in the process, I would imagine that there is 2-3 hp lost in driving all those pulleys.

rollinrealbig
05-26-2006, 09:39 AM
have fun driving w/no power steering!

doesnt the belt also run the water pump ?

vbrock1137
05-26-2006, 09:48 AM
...and the alternator.

If you say there's so little hp to be gained with no belt then how can underdrive pulleys free up any hp at all?

coolin
05-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by vbrock1137
...and the alternator.

If you say there's so little hp to be gained with no belt then how can underdrive pulleys free up any hp at all?

You raise a good point about the horsepower though. Running without accessories must be worth more than 2-3 hp based on underdrive pully gains.

Driving without an alternator for a 1/4 shouldn't be too bad, as long as it doesn't shut down something to do with the brakes (that would be hilarious).

No powersteering? No problem, as long as it doesn't damage something.

Water pump? Hmmm..that sounds like I might be rolling the dice a bit. Based on that alone, I'll encourage one of the other guys to try it out. One of the guys has a 98 JDM STi with a timing belt powered water pump.

Denlasoul
05-26-2006, 10:41 AM
In concept, removing the accessory pullies shoould yield more power as there is not parasitic loss going to the accessories.

Underdrive pullies reduce the amount of parasitic power used to "drive" them.

I would think removing the belt entirely, and essentially putting those accessories out of commission is bad, and could cause some damage if really abused.

Also, would that even pass track inspection?

martattack
05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Definitely don't do that. Your water pump among other things won't be running, and that is not very good for your engine!

rollinrealbig
05-26-2006, 01:42 PM
go to the shitter before you race - you kno, toss out those few ounces! LoL :D

Pagz
05-26-2006, 01:53 PM
hopfully i'll get mine there this year also!...
not so good to touch those belts!.

i guess you'll do the usual things like,remove your passenger seat,Rear seats,spare tire,use a spare container of gas to keep the tank levels low..

and if you find time slap on some forged alloys,carbon trunk/bonnet and as rollin said take a big Dump....

coolin
05-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 23K
hopfully i'll get mine there this year also!...
not so good to touch those belts!.

i guess you'll do the usual things like,remove your passenger seat,Rear seats,spare tire,use a spare container of gas to keep the tank levels low..

and if you find time slap on some forged alloys,carbon trunk/bonnet and as rollin said take a big Dump....

Yeah, and main-line the oxygen bottle into the intake.