PDA

View Full Version : Muffler issue

Cruiser133
05-27-2006, 11:15 PM
I just installed a magnaflow system(custom Cklass) on my 99 C230K and now it sounds like a buzz bomb Honda. What muffler would you guys recommend for a good throaty but understated sound?

jnenad16
05-28-2006, 01:13 AM
thats why I always do remus or supersprint, and dont mess with the resonator if you want your ride to remain quiet.
btw, by custom Cklass setup, do you mean CKlasse(ken) from denver?

nenad

Cruiser133
05-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Yep, I bought it from another member on this site. If I use one of the ones recommended by you, will it still have a buzz bomb sound or do I have to replace the factory resonator as well?

JRE320
05-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Sebring mufflers... ;)

Proven Guilty
05-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by JRE320
Sebring mufflers... ;)

?

sebring mufflers fit 202s?

jnenad16
05-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Cruiser133
Yep, I bought it from another member on this site. If I use one of the ones recommended by you, will it still have a buzz bomb sound or do I have to replace the factory resonator as well?
the factory resonator will keep it from sounding like a fart can, so leave than one on. depending on what is your goal, I would only mess around with the catalytics and the rear muffler. for cats, I would go with metalcatz, and for the muffler, as I said before, go with either remus or supersprint direct replacement mufflers, not the universal ones because the replacement ones have much bigger body than the universal ones which means better noise supression.

nenad

NEA-4311
05-28-2006, 01:49 PM
If I decide to install a racing catalysator to my C200K (2LT 192HP OEM) which one would you suggest and how many HP aproximmately would I gain with a remus - supersprint muffler istalled as well? If not many (i.e. less than 5), would I at least feel the difference? Based on your personal experience. Thanks.

jstrat85
05-28-2006, 05:53 PM
OK as you know my car is now turbo charged so this is what my setup consist of, supersprint cat back removed both of my cats and replaced it with one high flow cat stainless steel from jegs. nice! removed my resonator and we made a 3 1/2 full exhaust back to my cat back. if i was you i will go with supersprint. when i had it with out my turbo kit the car sounded like it came from the factory like that!

jnenad16
05-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by NEA-4311
If I decide to install a racing catalysator to my C200K (2LT 192HP OEM) which one would you suggest and how many HP aproximmately would I gain with a remus - supersprint muffler istalled as well? If not many (i.e. less than 5), would I at least feel the difference? Based on your personal experience. Thanks.
it all depends what you want out of it. if you just want an increase of power but no noise, the best solution that I found on my C280 was to put high flow cats and a steel pack instead of the resonator and leave the rear muffler stock. this setup added some noticable HP especially in the mid and high rpms and the sound was close to stock, just a littel throaty when you step on it. I really liked this setup. next thing I tried was basically the same thing, only this time I put a spiral flow resonator and a universal straight trough muffler. with this setup I lost quite a bit of low end torque, but the high end power was a little bette than before. however, the noise was too loud, and I couldnt stand it on the freeway. so, my recommendations are following:
if you just want more power with little sound change, do the catalyst and resonator change or the catalyst and direct fit rear muffler change.
if you want power and sound, than change all three parts with performance pieces.

nenad

NEA-4311
05-28-2006, 07:46 PM
:hmmm: I see. So the muffler tip does not increase power at all, its just for the sound and the looks? I only want as much power as I can get but I dont like too much noise either. If thats the case with the tip I will leave the stock on, I like it anyway. Thanks a lot guys, take care.

Cruiser133
05-29-2006, 07:13 AM
With the Cklass system in place(it comes with its own resonator) will the addition of the remus exhaust give it a quiter but aggressive sound?

Ashkan's C280
05-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by jnenad16
it all depends what you want out of it. if you just want an increase of power but no noise, the best solution that I found on my C280 was to put high flow cats and a steel pack instead of the resonator and leave the rear muffler stock. this setup added some noticable HP especially in the mid and high rpms and the sound was close to stock, just a littel throaty when you step on it. I really liked this setup. next thing I tried was basically the same thing, only this time I put a spiral flow resonator and a universal straight trough muffler. with this setup I lost quite a bit of low end torque, but the high end power was a little bette than before. however, the noise was too loud, and I couldnt stand it on the freeway. so, my recommendations are following:
if you just want more power with little sound change, do the catalyst and resonator change or the catalyst and direct fit rear muffler change.
if you want power and sound, than change all three parts with performance pieces.

nenad

so I one put high flow cats and a steel pack instead of the resonator and a remus muff that was meant for a 202 would it still sound really loud? I think many of us are interested in power gains but I know personally I don't want to sound anything like a honda... would this setup sound too loud?

JRE320
05-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
?

sebring mufflers fit 202s?

Sure why not!! I got Sebring mufflers on my E320 and C280. ;)

omeyhomey
05-29-2006, 10:57 AM
well first of you have a 4 cylinder making them sound good is never easy. #2 you probably didn't use the right magnaflow, which magnaflow did u use?

Cruiser133
05-29-2006, 02:22 PM
You are correct as im used to V8 mustangs and flowmasters and 4 bangers all sound like buzz bombs, but I used the magnaflow that came with the kustom Cklass system

omeyhomey
05-29-2006, 03:55 PM
if you use a magnaflow universal stainless muffler w/ tips its really only a 8-10" muffler b/c the rest is a y-pipe inside the muffler housing. If you got a true 18" magnaflow it will not sound like a buzz bomb, infact it will sound VERY nice. I put a magnaflow 14" universal w/ magnaflow stainless tip and it sounds amazing, very refined, very high class. hope that helps