PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Elbow + Crankcase vent bypass complete

omeyhomey
05-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Silicone Elbow + Crankcase vent bypass complete!!

Hey guys.

I have finished the silicone elbow project finally. You guys have seen the old pictures but now I finally finished the crankcase vent bypass as well. What this does is it makes sure that all 100% of the air entering the engine passes through the Air sensor so the sensor can accruately gauge exactly how much air is coming in and as a result it improves your Air Fuel Ratios.

The Crank case vent is an emissions deal and it essentially is a controlled vaccum leak, it makes all the oil vapors go back into the engine and reburn them. This however also is air that does not pass through the MAS and as a result it can cause lean conditions. By putting a K&N breather on there instead of routing it back to the intake it can be filtered out and the filter air can then pass out into the atmoshpere. In addition, this also improves overall running of the car as well.

Performance: I honestly was not expecting any gains from this but wow was i pleasantly suprised. The car is NO longer knocking or running lean and torque had jumped up a significant substantial amount. in addition the car idles better now (though at first it will idle rough the first 10 seconds as the car gets used to the new extra air coming in at idle). The mid range power is significantly improved and now my EGR problems went away (go figure). So this solved MANY of my problems. and now I should be getting a dyno very soon after I have my custom high flow midpipes installed, and I am expecting serious gains. Anyways here at the pics, enjoy

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82332&stc=1&d=1148946669

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82333&stc=1&d=1148946669

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82334&stc=1&d=1148946669

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82335&stc=1&d=1148946669

Proven Guilty
05-29-2006, 04:30 PM
can you piece together a parts list? i am extremely intersted in your setup for my C230K!

who did the carbon fiber intake for you? i remember you posted a thread about it and the guy never came through.

how much for you to build this setup for me? (i really dont have the time, but i've got the cash np!)

omeyhomey
05-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
can you piece together a parts list? i am extremely intersted in your setup for my C230K!

who did the carbon fiber intake for you? i remember you posted a thread about it and the guy never came through.

how much for you to build this setup for me? (i really dont have the time, but i've got the cash np!)

Hey PG,

The filter is made by Ractive and it cost roughly $15-20. The K&N breather can be found at any autozone/pepboys for $9.99. The silicone elbow was $19 + $6 shipping. so realistically for $65-70 for everything will get you a good instake system. Hope this helps.

Pagz
05-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Nice Intake!!...value for money for sure!...
so i guess there is no oil present in the blow- by?
also iv never seen an engine have a crank bypass return after the air flow device of sorts...is this only on the AMG engine?

Also another reason for the vent return to the intake is to create a vaccum under load and aid it,or so my manual said.
though i have also removed mine from the intake!.

Paul

omeyhomey
05-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Nice Intake!!...value for money for sure!...
so i guess there is no oil present in the blow- by?
also iv never seen an engine have a crank bypass return after the air flow device of sorts...is this only on the AMG engine?

Also another reason for the vent return to the intake is to create a vaccum under load and aid it,or so my manual said.
though i have also removed mine from the intake!.

Paul

Hi paul, you know i was anticipating some oil too on the crankcase vent but to my suprise... NONE.

most european cars have them after the filter so the oil vapors don't ruin the air filter i assume, its also the reason why so many european throttle bodies get all gross & disgusting so this should keep your throttlebody cleaner, much longer.

Really as far as aiding the vaccum it doesnt do much. This mod really helps out the low end b/c thats where the MAS is most sensitive when it comes to low air volume. this will really help boost the low end up to around 5000max, after that i still have the dame top end and it still dies off too early (around 6000rpm-6800rpm.) Once I do the high flow midpipes it should solve the high end flow. Dyno coming not this week but the next week :) . :cool:

omeyhomey
05-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey guys,

Finally got back from a drive around town with the ECU reset, the new Silicone elbow kit complete (including crankcase vent bypass), and Toulene in the tank and the car run absolutely amazing, the car has never had this much mid range torque EVER. Finally the car is running really good. The top end is still choked at 6000-6800rpm but I have a feeling the new high flow midpipes will completely change that. Its almost in S420/S500 V8 territory as far as torque is concerned. Once I finish everything i should hopefully have a dyno by the end of the week at the latest! The project is nearing its completion guys, i can't wait to see the final dyno . anyways, ttyl.

97C28O
05-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
Silicone Elbow + Crankcase vent bypass complete!!

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82332&stc=1&d=1148946669

What is that? Looks funny, like a little mini intake for the engine.

jnenad16
05-30-2006, 12:28 AM
thats the breather. I did this on my C280, but it was somewhat different. the breather hose on my car was located behind the water pump, on the block, not the head as on the omey's car. however, after doing the mod, I did not see any noticable gains, and the throttle body was still getting dirty as often.

nenad

Pagz
05-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
Hi paul, you know i was anticipating some oil too on the crankcase vent but to my suprise... NONE.

most european cars have them after the filter so the oil vapors don't ruin the air filter i assume, its also the reason why so many european throttle bodies get all gross & disgusting so this should keep your throttlebody cleaner, much longer.

Really as far as aiding the vaccum it doesnt do much. This mod really helps out the low end b/c thats where the MAS is most sensitive when it comes to low air volume. this will really help boost the low end up to around 5000max, after that i still have the dame top end and it still dies off too early (around 6000rpm-6800rpm.) Once I do the high flow midpipes it should solve the high end flow. Dyno coming not this week but the next week :) . :cool:

Hey,No oils a good sign!...you should see what my diesel spits out!...
seems like you've got it all together man,cant wait to see some dyno results!!!

alphanumeric
05-30-2006, 09:04 AM
and doing this wont blow out my rear main seals? hmmmmm

jnenad16
05-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by alphanumeric
why would it do that? the pressue is still being relieved, but not through the intake.

nenad

omeyhomey
05-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by jnenad16
thats the breather. I did this on my C280, but it was somewhat different. the breather hose on my car was located behind the water pump, on the block, not the head as on the omey's car. however, after doing the mod, I did not see any noticable gains, and the throttle body was still getting dirty as often.

nenad

well my situation is very different b/c the air fuels ratios are off so for me the gains would be more noticed than regular but if you plan to do a silicone elbow its definitely a worth while mod in my opinion. Plus you can do everything for under $50 including the silicone elbow

Pagz
05-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by alphanumeric

interesting thing that....i guess depending on the condition of your rings etc,blow-by would be somewhat high at 6000rpm...and thus could cause oil leakage around the crank seals if venting was poor...just a thought though.

though i can say for sure removing the vaccum affect would definatly increase crank case pressure in the higher rpm...

While where on the topic...i just remebered the M111 does take a small portion of air from the crank case that bypass's the MAF at idle,they are located between the intake ports on the head,but they are restricted to two 1mm holes,so airfow is minimal,there still fill of crap oil though.

omeyhomey
05-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by 23K
interesting thing that....i guess depending on the condition of your rings etc,blow-by would be somewhat high at 6000rpm...and thus could cause oil leakage around the crank seals if venting was poor...just a thought though.

though i can say for sure removing the vaccum affect would definatly increase crank case pressure in the higher rpm...

While where on the topic...i just remebered the M111 does take a small portion of air from the crank case that bypass's the MAF at idle,they are located between the intake ports on the head,but they are restricted to two 1mm holes,so airfow is minimal,there still fill of crap oil though.

on the M104 its not 1mm its a 5/8's gaping hole, its pretty huge. As far as pressure. the pressure is still releived guys its just releived into the atmosphere thats all. it should have no affect on seals and etc.

omeyhomey
05-30-2006, 05:36 PM
hey guys, also i noticed something else. with this new mod for some reason resonance has subsided a decent amount to the point where i actually notice it. maybe the change in A/Fs has slightly changed sound as well. either way just an observation i noticed.

The custom high flow mid pipes + high flow cat + magnaflow resonator go in tomorrow !! :)

JConnX
06-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Will this exact set up work on a C230 Kompressor?

therock2689
07-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Not teh same exact system. you would have to make a flange for the bypass and then put a filter on it. Dont ask me why it needs it, but i figure since it had it before in teh airbox, i just played it safe and set up a filter on the bypass. i did notice more s/c whine and quicker throttle resopnce. and when you on boost and let go of the throttle, it sounds like a forced induted blow off.

bish0p
03-15-2007, 09:45 PM
sorry to revive an old thread. but omey could you repost the pictures? I'm trying to figure out my cai right now.

omeyhomey
03-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by bish0p
sorry to revive an old thread. but omey could you repost the pictures? I'm trying to figure out my cai right now.

I'm on vacation right now but when I get back I will try to find them. thx