PDA

View Full Version : New Headunit, help needed

MirageHatch
05-31-2006, 06:10 PM
I just had a kenwood kdc 5033 headunit installed..

Now heres a problem (dont you love how when you go changing/adding stuff to cars things ALWAYS go wrong!)

With stock stereo my front right tweeter wasn't working but the door speaker was....not a huge problem....now that the headunit is in, the tweeter works but not the door speaker?

i really wanna work out why this is? the place that installed it doesnt know why....

what should i check?

any info would be greatly appreciated!! i wanna get this sorted asap!

jnolte
05-31-2006, 06:30 PM
just sound like one of your wires is loose or crossed, double check!

MirageHatch
05-31-2006, 06:43 PM
sorry i dont mean to sound like a noob but im new to the mercedes world....where would i check the wires?

they are still stock speakers, should i check the crossover?

there is only 1 set of mercedes wires that comes out the the back of the headunit for front right speaker(s) and we tried wiggling that but it didnt do anything. the guys were saying the woofer and tweeter both get the signal from that 1 wire.

is there a crossover somewhere that seperates the woofer and tweeter signal? where? there may be something going on there

iwhocorrupts
05-31-2006, 08:12 PM
follow the speakers backwards from the tweeter and the door speaker, probably a bad wire or connection where it splits

jmerritt
05-31-2006, 08:53 PM
the head unit in my merc was all messed up, there were only 2 wires that left the head unit and they went to an amp which was on the passenger side (up front where your feet go under the floor matt) anyway i had to run new all new wires from the head unit to where the amp was as thats where all the speaker wires were.

MirageHatch
05-31-2006, 10:33 PM
hm, i know mine doesnt have that amp thing.. i think i need to find the crossover part, these mercs are so hard to work on cos everything is covered up! all these big plastic panels under the dash etc! jap cars are so basic!

anyone know where the crossover bit is?

the weird thing is, i know that both speakers work (not blown), i know that the signal is capable of getting to both of them so i just dont understand why only the door was getting it before and now only the tweeter now....hmmmmm???

MirageHatch
06-06-2006, 04:39 PM
I worked it out.......

Popped the little speaker grill off my drivers door and held another speaker (from my home stereo) and its wires up to the door speakers terminals and it worked.....so my door speaker must be blown as the signal is still getting all the way to it....but its not doing anything

SO, i may replace the fronts all together with a new set of splits however not for a while...so ill just wait, unless anyone has a working front door speaker they wanna sell cheap??

glad I resolved it without having to pay someone!

iwhocorrupts
06-07-2006, 06:22 AM
I have a front door speaker, needs to be glued into a mount but it works, Id give it away but Im not paying shipping to australia from Chicago :)
-Mark

MirageHatch
06-07-2006, 03:41 PM
bummer, i was in chicago a few months ago! coulda picked it up! awesome city! ill pay postage if your keen! thatd be great, so long as it still works of course :)

iwhocorrupts
06-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Sure, if you wanna paypal me the postage then Ill send both of them there, I dont know how they compare to yours, but I know the bass on mine was never deep enough

benzonline
06-08-2006, 04:21 AM
Make sure you're talking BOSE or non-BOSE here!!

iwhocorrupts
06-08-2006, 06:39 AM
Mine are non-bose

MirageHatch
06-18-2006, 06:31 AM
iwhocurrupts, you have a PM!