PDA

View Full Version : busted AC condenser

rollinrealbig
06-01-2006, 03:42 PM
yea not a good day for me, AC condenser popped, started hissing like a tire, and no cold air for me :mad: :mad: :mad:

summer is about to start and for us in CA being w/out AC is like driving on 3 wheels!

ok, so how much am I looking at ? I know that thing cant be cheap, I see where it busted but I dont know if it can be fixed with sumthing - I know you can fix radiators by welding them or something of that nature but what about the AC condenser ?

help me out - I either need a new one or fix this one, what would you do and what are the prices ?

rollinrealbig
06-01-2006, 03:49 PM
ok found the price for a new one ... so can this thing be welded? maybe some ghetto JB weld should do the trick ?

roughly $200 for a new OEM of ebay.

It has to be done good cuz I dont want the pressure in their to blow it up agian - R134 refills are not so cheap either $40-80!

jnolte
06-01-2006, 03:49 PM
isnt your dad a mb mechanic?

martattack
06-01-2006, 03:52 PM
there's a good amount of pressure in it. That's why it blew! I wouldn't JB Weld it. You could possibly have it rewelded. Not positive on how well that goes over.

rollinrealbig
06-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
isnt your dad a mb mechanic?

yes he is, he has an automotive repair shop, but you cant imagine how much money im costing him so Im trying to avoid him knowing about my w202 problems, LoL I already make him buy me new tires, new MAF, all the maintinance stuff - even gas!

so id rather get this problem fixed myself and use my dads money for something more useful . LoL yes I am a little punk, what can I do about it ?

ok, back on topic - yes I understand that theres alot of pressure going around, so epoxy crap is out of the question. I think Ill see if my neighber can weld it - its a very small hole, the same size as the little ball on a ball point pen.

if all fails, guess Im going to be stuck w/no AC for a little bit.

rollinrealbig
06-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by BoominBenz
there's a good amount of pressure in it. That's why it blew! I wouldn't JB Weld it. You could possibly have it rewelded. Not positive on how well that goes over.

I see that there was a small dent around the hole - so maybe sumthing hit it hard enough and it blew. the aluminum is very soft.